2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

Okay, so, can anyone tell me about Christian McCaffery? Aside from the fact that he was drafted by the Panthers..

Note/edit: I'm Australian.. don't get to watch college football, please don't hurt me

Edited by PantherFan59

3 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Makes sense. If you want to be called Taco good for you and I'm all for it but if your parents named you Taco they are jerks

what about Chalupa Batman?

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

It's no Chalupa Batman, that's for sure.

Dammit I should've read the thread before making this joke!  F you @Meacon!

• Like 1

I still can't believe the Bears paid so much to pick a guy the 49ers weren't interested in. 

On the Conley thing, in addition to tking a polygraph, apparently his lawyer allowed the teams to review all the evidence collated in his case.

I love waking up the next day and reading through the Draft thread. Takk McKinley's speech and Trubisky's Tweets (please let this be a regular thing) keep that strong tradition going :lol:

Also, Taco? Pfft. He's no Snacks Harrison.

• Like 2

Packers are sitting there at #33 with Dalvin Cook still on the board. Have to feel good about trading back and still presumably getting your guy.

With the big run on boom or bust offensive players in the first half of the draft the bottom half was loaded with defensive talent. Not to mention guys like Kevin King falling into round 2. We won't know who won the draft for a few years of course, but the 49ers getting 2 of the 5 best players in the draft and the Browns just running a picture perfect round would be my early picks. And you can't ever count out the usual suspects like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Dallas who don't do anything fancy and wind up with a great player nonetheless. I personally am not excited to see a Watt brother twice a year now.

Had to roll my eyes a bit driving in this morning and hearing Giants fans on WFAN complaining about Engram being a reach.

While it's likely true that he would've been around later in the round, people seem to forget that you need a team to want to trade up with you.  There isn't much reason to expect a team wanted to jump ahead of the Raiders because most teams weren't expecting Conley to be the choice and wouldn't touch him anyway.  And the guy most often linked to the Raiders, Cam Robinson, it's pretty clear not a lot of teams were high on him in what was a weak OL class.

2 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

So I woke up not too long ago and thought man that was a rough nightmare I had. Thank God it was just a dream and the Bears didn't really ruin the team for years to come! So who did we draft? I didn't get a chance to watch the real draft.

Myles Garrett fell to #3. Rejoice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

So I woke up not too long ago and thought man that was a rough nightmare I had. Thank God it was just a dream and the Bears didn't really ruin the team for years to come! So who did we draft? I didn't get a chance to watch the real draft.

tenor.gif

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DFF said:

I still can't believe the Bears paid so much to pick a guy the 49ers weren't interested in. 

On the Conley thing, in addition to tking a polygraph, apparently his lawyer allowed the teams to review all the evidence collated in his case.

To be fair to Chicago, they weren't moving up because they were worried about SF taking Mitchell, there were obviously other teams interested in moving ahead of Chicago.

I won't defend the pick, mostly because I preferred Watson (I'm somewhat of a believer in Bill Parcell's ideas on drafting QBs, it helps lower risk), and Glennon makes it a weird choice, but if you think there's a guy out there that will change your franchise, you gotta go for it. Especially a franchise as QB starved as Chicago has been historically. You can't rely on finding a Tom Brady in the 6th, or even a Russell Wilson or Derek Carr on day two.

So, has Garrett called a press conference to announce his retirement yet?

Personally, I thought the Bears made a great move. Hopefully Trubinsky turns out to be a stud, and they knock the Packers out of contention.

I like the Titans' pick. He could turn out to be the big steal of the first round, if Trubinsky isn't. But I'm not so hot on the Cowboys' pick, Taco Charlton. I'll have to wait until he plays a few games and see. 

14 hours ago, PantherFan59 said:

Okay, so, can anyone tell me about Christian McCaffery? Aside from the fact that he was drafted by the Panthers..

Note/edit: I'm Australian.. don't get to watch college football, please don't hurt me

Well, I'm from Oregon so I got to watch a lot of PAC 12 football. McCaffery is very talented, he's probably going to be best utilized in the NFL as a speed back with a bit of power. He can definitely run through some tackles but he's very fast and has really good footwork to go with great hands. He'll be very good at catching passes out of the backfield. Think of him as his absolute floor would be a prime Danny Woodhead but his ceiling is much, much higher. McCaffery has a ton of potential but at the very worst he should be a clone of Danny Woodhead.

In other words, why the hell did my Ravens pick up Marlon Humphrey when there were so many better DB's still available :(

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

So, has Garrett called a press conference to announce his retirement yet?

Personally, I thought the Bears made a great move. Hopefully Trubinsky turns out to be a stud, and they knock the Packers out of contention.

I like the Titans' pick. He could turn out to be the big steal of the first round, if Trubinsky isn't. But I'm not so hot on the Cowboys' pick, Taco Charlton. I'll have to wait until he plays a few games and see. 

I'm not high on Trubisky, but I didn't mind the Bears picking him. The problem, though, was how much they gave up to move up one spot when the 49ers would NOT have selected Trubisky. The niners were going for Solomon Thomas and there was little doubt from anyone that they wouldn't get him. So to give up all those draft picks to get someone you would have gotten if you stood pat, that's bad. 

32 minutes ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

Well, I'm from Oregon so I got to watch a lot of PAC 12 football. McCaffery is very talented, he's probably going to be best utilized in the NFL as a speed back with a bit of power. He can definitely run through some tackles but he's very fast and has really good footwork to go with great hands. He'll be very good at catching passes out of the backfield. Think of him as his absolute floor would be a prime Danny Woodhead but his ceiling is much, much higher. McCaffery has a ton of potential but at the very worst he should be a clone of Danny Woodhead.

In other words, why the hell did my Ravens pick up Marlon Humphrey when there were so many better DB's still available :(

I'm not high on Trubisky, but I didn't mind the Bears picking him. The problem, though, was how much they gave up to move up one spot when the 49ers would NOT have selected Trubisky. The niners were going for Solomon Thomas and there was little doubt from anyone that they wouldn't get him. So to give up all those draft picks to get someone you would have gotten if you stood pat, that's bad. 

I mean, any of the other teams interested in a QB could have moved up and traded with San Francisco as well.  

1 hour ago, DMN said:

This is true. I'd rather move up for a player who has more years under their belt in college.

I'd rather have the guy who I know is a winner with multiple years of college under his belt over the guy who has the "gifts". One might develop into a freakishly good QB or fizzle out, the other is probably at the worst gonna be a game manager.

• Like 3