2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

If this draft is any indication of what John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are capable of, there may be cause for optimism as a 49ers fan after all! Overall the draft was a little more defensive heavy than I assumed it would be but they spent money on offense in free agency so it makes a bit of sense. And it's not like the defense didn't need work as well. 

The lack of "Future Franchise QB" isn't great but with the trades they made in this draft, they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year so they can easily target one of the big names that will be in next year's draft or have the ammo to trade for Cousins if they really want to do that. The offensive line may still be problem and they still lack a true #1 WR but the running game should be solid if Hyde can stay healthy and somebody emerges out of the glut they have behind him. 

2 hours ago, livid said:

If this draft is any indication of what John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are capable of, there may be cause for optimism as a 49ers fan after all! Overall the draft was a little more defensive heavy than I assumed it would be but they spent money on offense in free agency so it makes a bit of sense. And it's not like the defense didn't need work as well. 

The lack of "Future Franchise QB" isn't great but with the trades they made in this draft, they have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds next year so they can easily target one of the big names that will be in next year's draft or have the ammo to trade for Cousins if they really want to do that. The offensive line may still be problem and they still lack a true #1 WR but the running game should be solid if Hyde can stay healthy and somebody emerges out of the glut they have behind him. 

Build your foundations first, then get your QB. I like that approach.

Building a good D gets them competitive and respectable initially. Its why Millen sucked so hard.

• Like 4

Almost forgot to look at the UDFA signings - that's basically the bonus round of the draft at this point.

Reading up on the ones the Giants signed and I'm intrigued by a few of them.  DT Jarron Jones was projected to be drafted, and I'm inclined to trust whoever they have scouting the Notre Dame D-linemen as they picked up Romeo Okwara as an UDFA last year.  S Jadar Johnson from Clemson was also projecting as a low round pick and they've got several injury prone players at that spot.  LB Calvin Munson from SDSU looks like a potentially good special teams contributor which should keep him in the mix for a bench spot.

Can't have been too happy a situation. They effectively gave the Browns, two 1st round picks, a 2nd and Osweiler for the right to pick Watson when they wanted Mahomes. 

That Osweiler deal will haunt them for a decade even if Watson is good.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I've not seen the contract details yet, but if we can get even just 75% of the old Jamal Charles, I'm 110% on board.

Seems the same as AP.  1 yr./$3 mil.  Agreed with the idea that even at 75%, it's a good pickup.  Did they keep C.J. Anderson?  Seems the two could make a pretty good combo while not letting either good too over-worked.

1 hour ago, thatshortguy said:

Seems the same as AP.  1 yr./$3 mil.  Agreed with the idea that even at 75%, it's a good pickup.  Did they keep C.J. Anderson?  Seems the two could make a pretty good combo while not letting either good too over-worked.

Yeah, CJ signed an extension last off-season and was having a decent season until he got bitch-slapped by the injury bug.