2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

The Cowboys should offer to trade Mark Sanchez to the Bears in exchange for Cutler, tickets to the Cubs' season opener, and a case of either sausages or deep dish pizzas.

Seriously, though, I'm sure some team will be desperate (I mean stupid) enough to take a risk and trade for Cutler. I kind of hope he goes to an AFC team....as long as its not an East one unless he's used as a backup. I want that whole division competitive just so its not a given the Patriots and Steelers both make the playoffs.

I'm quite pleased Palmer has come back for one more year, hopefully the QB circus won't be as bad next off-season. Yes, he's injury-prone and probably on the decline, but he's more reliable than bringing someone new and unproven in.

Looks like Calais Campbell might be off, which is a shame as he's one of the few remaining from our Super Bowl run.

20 minutes ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

I could definitely see Cutler on the Jets. It just seems like a thing that would happen. 

Also, @DFF

Do you extend Stafford this off-season? Should he get a massive contract? Should we go into 2018 with him as s free agent and judge him from there? Just curious.

I say extend him. Whilst his stats are less flashy, he's playing some of the best football of his career. We don't have anyone on the roster, nor is anyone likely to be available soon (FA or draft) that comes close to having what we have with him. He's a top 10 QB who, on his day, can duel with the best of them.

If we don't extend him, we run the risk of losing him next year. Plus, if he has a great year, he'll likely cost even more if we extend him after that.

Admittedly, I haven't looked at our cap level. :shifty:

Saying all that, I did notice we have a small squad at the mo, with so many players being out of contract now.

We have a pretty good cap situation from my understanding. Most of the guys that are free agents were on cheap deals and probably only Warford and Reiff will command a lot. 

The reason I asked you about Stafford was to get a fan from out of Detroits opinion. Its hotly debated here on if he is worth it. A lot say no. I'm not sure, my concern is giving him crazy money is you hinder other areas because of the lack of money. On the other hand, if Quinn is the real deal, he'll get production out of late draft picks and the money is a moot point. Then again, Stafford has a bad record outdoors, against playoffs teams, and in the playoffs. BUT then again Stafford has not had a game where a running back (just one guy) went over 100 yards since we hired Caldwell. It is fair to say Stafford has had an abysmal running game to work with barring 2013.

27 minutes ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

We have a pretty good cap situation from my understanding. Most of the guys that are free agents were on cheap deals and probably only Warford and Reiff will command a lot. 

The reason I asked you about Stafford was to get a fan from out of Detroits opinion. Its hotly debated here on if he is worth it. A lot say no. I'm not sure, my concern is giving him crazy money is you hinder other areas because of the lack of money. On the other hand, if Quinn is the real deal, he'll get production out of late draft picks and the money is a moot point. Then again, Stafford has a bad record outdoors, against playoffs teams, and in the playoffs. BUT then again Stafford has not had a game where a running back (just one guy) went over 100 yards since we hired Caldwell. It is fair to say Stafford has had an abysmal running game to work with barring 2013.

Admittedly my sample size is tiny, but in our social group we have two Lions fans ( @Mesut timmozil and I), and at least four, maybe five guys who list the Lions as their '2nd team'. All of us rate Stafford quite highly. Yes, he's had his downer moments, but I think he's come along well with the combination of the latest coaching combination + no safety blanket to throw to. I think that, with an improving O-line and an actual running game, he'd clear some of those bad records.

I think I'd rather pin him down for another 3-5 years and worry about juggling money, than to spend it elsewhere only to have (probably) greatly inferior QB play if he were to move on.

QB is such a tough choice. You don't want your team carrying a huge cap burden on just one player, but the gap between having a competent QB and having a not competent QB is the gap between a playoff team and 4 wins. We laugh at contracts like Joe Flacco but with the exception of a year where he tore his ACL the Ravens have never finished below .500 with him at the helm. Are you really willing to save money and try to play the QB lottery? People will always give the QB crap for sucking up so much cap space, but you basically have to assume to contend you have to allocate a certain amount of that cap to just having a competent QB behind center. 

I use Flacco because I'm very familiar with the debate, but the same frankly goes for Dalton, Tannehill, Smith, and now Cousins. The gap between them and uncertainty is too much, take what you know works and hope you can build enough around them within the cap constraints to win.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, damshow said:

I use Flacco because I'm very familiar with the debate, but the same frankly goes for Dalton, Tannehill, Smith, and now Cousins. The gap between them and uncertainty is too much, take what you know works and hope you can build enough around them within the cap constraints to win.

I feel largely the same way about Eli at this point.  Right after the season ended I heard so many people calling in to WFAN complaining that he wasn't worth his salary and that he looks shot and doesn't have the late game magic anymore.  Ignoring that he had two of the best years of his career in '14 and '15, the team got back to the playoffs this year and above all else - the man always stays on the field.

Draft a QB to develop for a couple of years if you wish (I'm not sold that the Giants will spend a first round pick on Watson as some have penciled in for mock drafts, but maybe a second or third rounder), but I think it'd be foolish to think the Giants would be better off cutting Eli and going with some random backup next season.

Speaking as a football fan and ignoring they're division rivals of my team, he's right. The Giants would be insane to get rid of Eli right now. Drafting and developing a QB for a couple of years would definitely be the way to go. If not Watson, who do you think they could end up with? 

7 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Speaking as a football fan and ignoring they're division rivals of my team, he's right. The Giants would be insane to get rid of Eli right now. Drafting and developing a QB for a couple of years would definitely be the way to go. If not Watson, who do you think they could end up with? 

I think they'd consider Watson if he's there in the second or third, but not in the first.  And that's tricky because plenty of teams have him graded as a fourth rounder, but we all know QBs tend to shoot up the draft board even if it's a pretty weak class at the position.  My best guess is Watson won't be there by the Giants' second round pick, but I just can't see them using a first round pick on somebody that isn't going to get a lot of playing time year one.  I'm expecting their top pick to be spent in the trenches, either offensively or defensively.

For some reason I could see them ending up with Pat Mahomes.  It would be a deviation from the Giants' norm to draft a QB that didn't play in a Pro-style offense, but the last time they did that they ended up with Ryan Nassib who is useless.  Mahomes can be comfortable in the pocket but, unlike Eli, he can take off and evade the rush if needed.  Might be important given the Giants always seem to have offensive line issues.  Decision making is an issue with him but that seems to be the case with nearly every QB in the class.

Probably not something Jameis Winston should say

But the ladies, they’re supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men supposed to be strong. I want y’all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to. Scream it!