The EWB Playlist: America, Fuck Yeah?

Benji

So I thought this could be a fun idea. Every so often (IE: whenever the previous thread is dying out) someone could post a thread with a theme, and EWB has to try and match it to create a playlist. If people want they can curate a playlist featuring songs posted in here on Google Music, Spotify or whatever and share them in here.

This thread bought to you by two songs I really liked recently that involve America, both in about the flashy and shallow side of American culture (both in somewhat romanticised ways), but feel free to share songs that celebrate America and American culture too.

So do we post youtube/spotify links on here, and @apsham curates them in a nice playlist? Treat me like i'm a total idiot that only knows how to link things...

Additionally, how many can people post per link? Because I got a shitload of songs that might fit in the 'America' motif.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Yeah, go nuts. Whatever you think fits the theme. If you want to add an explanation behind the song feel free, if not then you don't have to. Just a bit of fun to share music really.

And the Google Play Music playlist I'll curate can be found here but doesn't have any neat code to show a playlist like Spotify does. If someone (anyone) can tell me if they use GPM so I know whether to keep bothering with this one then let me know as I don't know how many folks use it.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

You say you were joking but I know in your heart of hearts you meant it. In it goes.

I never said I was joking, just that the second one was a serious suggestion. That doesn't mean that the first one wasn't!

I'm also disappointed it took six posts to get there :P 

4 minutes ago, apsham said:

American Males is on Spotify, so it goes in.

Now I imagine some unrelated person finding a cool 'America' Playlist on Spotify, and having it run through the office speaker when suddenly...

AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MALES!

• Like 1

Put together a ten-song playlist. Didn't want to do exclusively "songs with America/USA in the title" though, I mean, most of them do have that. I more wanted to skew towards songs that sort of capture that mix of aspirational American Dream stuff with the realities of living in America, with some occasional digressions into snark and also Chuck Berry because Chuck Berry pretty much is American music.

Tracklist behind the spoiler cut:

Spoiler

1. "Body of an American" by The Pogues

2. "Back in the USA" by Chuck Berry

3. "American Girl" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

4. "Young Americans" by David Bowie

5. "Johnny Appleseed" by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros

6. "Thrice All-American" by Neko Case and Her Boyfriends

7. "This Land is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie

8. "Winter in America" by Gil-Scott Heron

9. "American Music" by the Violent Femmes

10. "National Brotherhood Week" by Tom Lehrer

I'm not exactly thrilled with the fact that it's ended up 80% white and 90% male, but maybe that's fitting for an America playlist? Also I was considering the Rammstein song but then it got posted, so good pull on that.

• Like 3

To move away from songs by America or with America in the title, (I got so many still of those). Here's a few legendary ones about American cities and locales.

San Francisco - Scott McKenzie
Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Detroit Rock City - KISS
Travis County - Gary Clarke Jr.

And for Americana sake (And technically referencing a certain AZ city)...
Take it Easy - Eagles

And here are a few female artists.
I love Rock n Roll - Joan Jett
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison

Edited by Jasonmufc

37 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell

That one was real, real close to making my ten. If I can throw that into pretty much any theme going forward I probably will.

• Like 1

List is up to date with everything added so far - save for Joan Jett since she has an aversion to streaming. And shit - the suggested adds are actually VERY good. I'm going to add a few of them myself:

CCR - Fortunate Son
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Gonna Fly Now (The Rocky Theme)
The Mamas And The Papas - California Dreamin'
John Denver - Take Me Home Country Roads
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

Edited by apsham
  • Like 1