Indy/download games that focus on story and human condition

15 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I had a £20 Game voucher so went in and got a buy one get one half price deal on MGS (cos I have it on PS3 but don't play PS3 no more)....aaaaaand.....Life is Strange. Which I'm looking forward to a lot.

Great indy game that

• Like 2

I'm maybe a couple of hours of slow, wandery playing into Life is Strange and I love it. It's bringing out different emotions towards different characters already in a way I haven't known since I played Beyond: Two Souls.

I hate Nathan Prescott more than pretty much any character I've known in a videogame so far.

I love how decisions do legitimately seem that they'll make a difference in the future and I enjoy the rewind aspect of it, even though some parts seem a little forced. Over all though, I've totally bought into it already.

• Like 3

I love LIS because even stupid little stuff makes slight changes in ways you don't think about. One of my stupid favourites (extremely minor spoiler for a choice, but spoiler none-the-less)...

Spoiler

You have a plant to water. I watered it every day, thinking that it was the right thing to do. Turns out I shouldn't have done it quite that often because I drowned it because I gave it too much water.

I felt terrible :(

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I love how decisions do legitimately seem that they'll make a difference in the future and I enjoy the rewind aspect of it, even though some parts seem a little forced. Over all though, I've totally bought into it already.

Just to warn you in advance since while I loved Life Is Strange, the bit that marred it the most for me is that while a lot of the decisions do affect things in a genuine way as you play through, they still fall back on the bullshit "right forget everything that came before here's the only decision that's actually important" thing right at the end.

Will further the love for Firewatch. Bought it on a whim when it was released and completed it a few hours later. It's quite short, and it's one of those games where you don't really do all that much, but very few games have been as effective at drawing me into the world and investing in the story as it unfolds around me.

• Like 1

Early chapter 4 having just returned through the photo and woken up in my room.

End of chapter 3 was a great swerve.

Alternate reality Chloe was such a sad development. However, the fact she's dying makes the move back to the "true" reality much easier. If she wasn't dying and if her family were just about keeping afloat financially then it would have been an emotionally tougher process. After all, although she's disabled and less "her" as far as our earlier experience goes, if she was still kinda as happy as she could be....and had her loving father aluve and parents who loved each other and doted over her....then who's to say that spunky hellraiser Chloe has it better just 'cos she's not paralysed.

However, I thought a lot about that situation as a father and I would definitely die if it meant Lene didn't become paralysed and, given a choice if returning to original Lene meant me ceasing to exist then I would and Chloe's father clearly would too.

Just getting to the end of Chapter 4 I think

End of World ball and Mr. Jefferson has just turned up to announce photo competition winner

.....and I THINK, after a pretty hardcore reveal chapter I think I've just gone further and put two and two together....

I just suddenly thought that Jefferson might be involved in the photography of the students who Nathan drugged. If so it's proper twisted, but there's just something that feels it's heading that way.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find out soon. Staggering game. Emotionally totally on it.

I personally loved that game too, and I was actually surprised that such a teen thrillerdrama could actually hook me as much as it did. It's weird and soppy and very melodramatic with lots of 'coming of age teen girl issues' being thrown at you, but I loved every second of it.

Apparently I'm secretly a teen girl by heart.

• Like 2

I pretty much know what the last major decision I'm about to have to make is going to be.

Throughout my plan was to save Chloe and do the best by Chloe in everything I did......But then the final scene with Warren in the diner with the tornado made me have second thoughts. Warren is cool. He could well be an amazing boyfriend and partner and stuff. Also I was kind to all the people I could be (except Nathan, whose voice message was heartbreaking and so amazingly done by the game) so there would be plenty of love and happiness to go around.

So, Chloe or potentially everyone else? Gah.

I'll decide as and when I get to that moment I guess.

I'm going to put in my recommendation for Gone Home too.

Also just played This War of Mine for myself and holy shit it's incredible and depressing. Managed to survive on my third attempt despite starting with only one adult and one child, but thanks to careful planning and what I suspect was a bit of good luck managed to survive with everyone intact (two people joined the party which made things a LOT easier).

Worst part was when (and I'm spoilering this because I don't know how much of the scavenging places are random)

Spoiler

I managed to use a sawblade to get into part of a place I was ransacking but thought was empty... then I see a magnifying glass icon that hinted that someone WAS there. I needed stuff in there though so I kept going... eventually got seen as I was heading out.

Next time I go in, I'm bringing my hatchet so I can shop furniture... and the guy sees me and comes at me. Had to hatchet him. I think that was the only direct kill I made in that run (did steal from others, but avoided that when I could... which wasn't often as the blizzard limited my options) but I was really trying to avoid combat as much as possible.

When you kill someone in This War of Mine the depression it causes in characters is just far too much. It's bad enough when you have to steal from them. I managed to survive through without any kills. In fact I never developed any weaponry and learnt how to run and escape pretty quickly!

Wow @ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster, wow. You heartless bastard! :P

Spoiler

I didn't take a second thought in sacrificing Chloe, I found her consistently more annoying as the story developed, perhaps because I was in a similar situation to her regarding fathers and did not act like the complete bitch that she did to anyone who came into contact with her. To be honest I would have sacrificed any one person to save the lives of an entire town, but with her it was just a no-brainer for me. I'm actually stunned that the current stats are so even, so maybe people just interpret the events of the game differently.

You may want to check out the other ending on YouTube as well, having seen both it's much better (and I'd go as far as to say more canonical as well as a lot more effort went into it).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

When you kill someone in This War of Mine the depression it causes in characters is just far too much. It's bad enough when you have to steal from them. I managed to survive through without any kills. In fact I never developed any weaponry and learnt how to run and escape pretty quickly!

Wow.

But yeah, the depression is hard. I did manage to figure out that you can give people pep talks to downgrade it so they don't spiral down to Broken but that basically leaves two people unproductive the whole day which can be tough when you have things to do that day.

Reinforcing the house, building two rat traps, and only eating when you're Very Hungry seem to be winning strategies. And counterintuitively (to me anyway) burning books as a last resort.

• Like 1

@Chris2K

I nearly went the other way to be honest. I paused the game and had a think for a few minutes and then just went for it. I've not watched the other ending but have heard that it's more fleshed out and complete.

However I did enjoy the scene of them standing, holding hands as the tornado hits and the music plays - cos I LOVE that song.

Not saving her negated everything that you'd done in the game. Part of me wanted to live with every choice I'd made in that game, that they carried weight and purpose. At least as much as they could with the other timeline changes in the final episode. It's likely that many survived the tornado (the radio had the warning for people get evacuate). Joyce, Frank and Warren were the most at risk though. Even if they didn't, I kinda liked how hollow the ending kinda was, although it completed the "I'll always be there for you" thing the two had for each other.