What are the greatest games of the 21st century?

RPS

Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Assassin's Creed Game should be added
  2. 2. Should the Last of Us be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Naughty Dog game is better
  3. 3. Should Fallout New Vegas be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Fallout Game is better
  4. 4. Should Mass Effect 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Mass Effect game is better
  5. 5. Should Super Smash Bros Melee be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Smash Bros game is better

I doubt this is allowed, but I'd like to nominate an entire genre in rogue-lites. Rogue and Rouge-likes have been around for ages (even Diablo has procedural generation). But there's something special about the newer crop where it's a 30 minute to 2 hour game that is different enough every time you play it to feel 'new' or at least 'fresh' to the point that you end up putting more time into it than a game with a 40 hour adventure. Spelunky/FTL/BoI would likely be at the top of the list I guess if you just want one game.  

Brother's a Tale of Two Sons deserves a mention for having a really solid story, really solid mechanics whilst offering something new and fresh.

CKII or Europa Universalis IV might deserve a mention.

TLOU for taking the prettiness that is Uncharted and attaching it to a story that did justice to all the effort.

I'm gonna throw Stardew Valley out there as well. Incredibly simple game, but it totally hooked me to the point where I couldn't put it down until I'd basically exhausted the game.

• Like 2

Ok. I have given it thought. They are all PS3.

Skyrim gave me 200+ hours and I intend to get it on PS4 too. I love the world, the gameplay, the scale. I'm still probably only a quarter through the main story but have done so many other things. Sometimes I just loaded up to wander around and make my own adventures. Magical.

Metal Gear Solid 4 played the Shadow Moses part perfectly. Bosses were good. Story was great. The feel was mournful and retrospective and I loved that. Gameplay was varied and enjoyable without over-lengthening parts for the sake of it. The part where Snake was crawling along near the end had me almost in tears. Anyway, I have a tattoo of Solid Snake creeping around under a box, so I love MGS.

For those who followed the thread when I got the game a week early in Japan, no game has made me think, consider or get as emotional as Heavy Rain did. It's an artistic masterpiece which tells an amazing story with a deftness of touch. Potentially Life is Strange might replace it (currently on chapter 3) but I'll let you know.

46 minutes ago, Quom said:

TLOU for taking the prettiness that is Uncharted and attaching it to a story that did justice to all the effort

I really don't get how people can say TLOU had a good story when it was basically a cynical string of zombie cliches with a predictable plot and the only character that wasn't one-dimensional being basically a discount Clementine.

It was a technological marvel but was otherwise a total slog for me to finish and the only part of it I genuinely enjoyed was the prologue level and it just made me hate the rest of the game even more because a Heavy Rain With Zombies game would have been absolutely amazing and instead we got The Adventures Of Wangstman and Ripoff Girl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OctoberRavenO said:

I really don't get how people can say TLOU had a good story when it was basically a cynical string of zombie cliches with a predictable plot and the only character that wasn't one-dimensional being basically a discount Clementine.

It was a technological marvel but was otherwise a total slog for me to finish and the only part of it I genuinely enjoyed was the prologue level and it just made me hate the rest of the game even more because a Heavy Rain With Zombies game would have been absolutely amazing and instead we got The Adventures Of Wangstman and Ripoff Girl.

I dunno what to tell you, different strokes for different folks. I much preferred the story in Last of Us to Heavy Rain's. The same way I don't like MGS or Mass Effect but understand they're super popular so something in them must appeal to people that aren't me.

Just now, Quom said:

I dunno what to tell you, different strokes for different folks. I much preferred the story in Last of Us to Heavy Rain's. The same way I don't like MGS or Mass Effect but understand they're super popular so something in them must appeal to people that aren't me.

I suppose, and maybe the dissappointment of what I thought it was going to be by the prologue kind of soured the rest of the experience behind me, but I pretty much figured out how the plot was going to go down as soon as Ellie was introduced and Joel just irritated me. I was like "Okay your daughter died twenty years ago and that fucking sucks but you know who else has lost someone in this zombie apocalypse? Literally everybody. You're just the only one who stopped being a functional person two decades after the fact."

Also, I voted "Both GTA SA and GTA V", but my vote would really be for "The entire GTA franchise". Just seems wrong to omit GTA III. (Or Vice City for that matter. Hell, I'd throw in IV but even as someone who enjoyed it I can see why people think of it as the low point)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OctoberRavenO said:

I was like "Okay your daughter died twenty years ago and that fucking sucks but you know who else has lost someone in this zombie apocalypse? Literally everybody. You're just the only one who stopped being a functional person two decades after the fact."

I mean if you hear the stories of a lot of homeless/alcoholics/drug addicts/people with mental health issues your response could be the same.

52 minutes ago, Quom said:

I mean if you hear the stories of a lot of homeless/alcoholics/drug addicts/people with mental health issues your response could be the same.

That's fair. But it never comes off as he has a serious problem to me. More that he acts as if it's something that just happened to him and it relies on the fact that to the player it's a recent event to sympathize with him. It's not just the fact that it's twenty years later, it's also the fact that it's twenty years after a zombie apocalypse. People with crippling issues shouldn't last that long in the zombie apocalypse.

Compare to Heavy Rain, which also had a time skip, but they did (IMO anyway) a wonderful job of showing that Ethan and Shaun are still struggling to cope with Jason's death.

TLOU told me. Heavy Rain showed me. And I guess in the end that's what made one more believable than the other to me.

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 1

After all this talk of The Sims I decided to install Sims 2 (didn't even know I had it, thanks Origin) and it is taking longer to load up the game than to start a new game of FM with all the leagues running. Balls to this. And I cant change the resolution. 

35 minutes ago, MDK said:

After all this talk of The Sims I decided to install Sims 2 (didn't even know I had it, thanks Origin) and it is taking longer to load up the game than to start a new game of FM with all the leagues running. Balls to this. And I cant change the resolution. 

Okay, so, first, that load up will all be for the first time, it's creating all the fucking expansions. 

As for resolution, read this, do what it says.

You're welcome. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mick said:

Okay, so, first, that load up will all be for the first time, it's creating all the fucking expansions. 

As for resolution, read this, do what it says.

You're welcome. 

Yeah, I realised this after I loaded it. And I'd already found that link before you posted it. Great minds, eh?

I am going to leave the poll up until tomorrow. It's pretty clear that GTA San Andreas and The Sims are pretty much dead locked as being on our list, which makes sense. GTA 5 is a probably, but if there is more people who vote San Andreas only, it could be in the maybe pile. 

The games that have gotten multiple mentions or likes so far - Timesplitters 2, Fallout New Vegas, Minecraft, Civ IV, Mass Effect 2, World of Warcraft,  Skyrim, The Last of Us, Football Manager series, Metal Gear Solid 4, the Warriors, Baldur's Gate, a game from the Arkham series, and Diablo 2. I think what we should do next is decide what is in our shortlist from these games and figure out which games we should discuss further. And maybe to continue to discuss the other big franchises like Half Life, Mario, Zelda, Bioshock, etc. 

Personally, from this list and the games I have played - I would consider Civ IV and Minecraft to be on my slam dunks. I probably would also lean towards including New Vegas. But for me personally - Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, the Last of Us, and any game in the Arkham series are not games that I consider great. But obviously, that is what discussions are for.