What are the greatest games of the 21st century?

RPS

Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Assassin's Creed Game should be added
  2. 2. Should the Last of Us be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Naughty Dog game is better
  3. 3. Should Fallout New Vegas be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Fallout Game is better
  4. 4. Should Mass Effect 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Mass Effect game is better
  5. 5. Should Super Smash Bros Melee be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Smash Bros game is better

A talk about great fighting games and no mention of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue?

SHAME.

Also Stryker rules. In a world full of people who can throw fireballs, cyborgs, demons and literal gods, he's just an average guy and can hold his own against all of them. He's the biggest badass of the entire MK universe.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

I LOVED Soul Blade on PS1, which became Soul Calibur I believe.

It did weapon fighting well and a lot of the characters were different to play with whether they had nunchuckas, an axe, katana, various different sword, broadswords, weird hand blades and so on. Taki was my favourite though. Lass took on everyone with a couple of tiny knives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I LOVED Soul Blade on PS1, which became Soul Calibur I believe.

It did weapon fighting well and a lot of the characters were different to play with whether they had nunchuckas, an axe, katana, various different sword, broadswords, weird hand blades and so on. Taki was my favourite though. Lass took on everyone with a couple of tiny knives.

I loved playing as Raphael the foppish ponce with the rapier.

• Like 1

What was the first ever AAA game? I have no idea so I googled it and some people reckon Shenmue could be considered as the first one. 3D open world, massive budget and all that. If it came out on the PS1 it would probably have gone down as an all time great.

On 3/10/2017 at 04:07, Benji said:

Spent 3 hours last night on The Sims 2 after reinstalling the free Ultimate Edition from Origin. Thank you and screw you in equal measure to whoever reminded me of this game.

manage_the_pain_of_grief_in_your_own_way_after_losing_a_child.jpg

It'll be okay, Benji. 

*Goes home and installs Sims 2*

The only critique I have about Ultimate Edition is that it lumps all the shit together at once, but I guess that's what mods for. I suppose I could check to see if they've made a version of AnyGameStarter (a program that will let you launch a Sims game with the content you want) that works with Ultimate Edition.

• Like 1

Sool Sool!

22 hours ago, Owen said:

I wanna say Bully but I just don't think it's really, I guess, special enough to make it onto any list.

Red Dead should definitely be on the list, though. Brilliant game.

Honestly, I played Bully on the PS2 and I never really knew what the big deal was. It really got popular on its controversy, because as a game it was really just middle of road, a GTA at a private school with some colourful characters but otherwise pretty tame (other than options for gay romance which even to this day people find shocking, for some reason).

Bully is really only the best at being an example of how soccer mom controversy can spill over into a national debate about video game violence, even though the game of which the controversy is based around really is nowhere as violent as all the GTA's that preceded it. Heck, Manhunt to me is the epitome of egregious violence in games, and Manhunt got off light considering the disgusting shit you can do in that game.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Half the "problem" with Bully was the title. If they had just gone with Canis Canem Edit everywhere the PC brigade would have barely noticed it because the content was quite tame. Pretty fun game overall though, harmless and amazing on the grand scheme of things but a really memorable little adventure.

Edited by TCO
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 18:41, MDK said:

What was the first ever AAA game? I have no idea so I googled it and some people reckon Shenmue could be considered as the first one. 3D open world, massive budget and all that. If it came out on the PS1 it would probably have gone down as an all time great.

It pretty much has gone down as one of the all time greats and is one of the most requested sequels of all time, despite it being a Dreamcast exclusive. In fact it's swung the opposite way with a lot of people checking it out due to the hype and calling it crap. They're wrong.

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Heck, Manhunt to me is the epitome of egregious violence in games, and Manhunt got off light considering the disgusting shit you can do in that game.

I don't know it was banned in a couple of countries and taken off sale in others due to a lot of media coverage - bought about by someone who owned the game being murdered for drugs - so it certainly got it's fair share of hatred. Bully may have got some overreactive complaints but it didn't get close to the Manhunt hate.

I don't get why everyone keeps saying GTA:SA.  GTA3 pretty much gave birth to the modern sandbox 3rd person action games as we know it.  There is a reason that, for the longest time, any such game was described as a "GTA clone"  GTA:SA did have many revolutionary elements, yes.  But a few of those where taken from other Rockstar games.  Its much praised shooting system was lifted right from Manhunt (which takes place in the GTA universe)

I just don't think you can say GTA:SA was a "great game of the 21st century" while leaving GTA3 out of the discussion, since without it you wouldn't even be talking about  GTA:SA

6 minutes ago, Lint said:

I don't get why everyone keeps saying GTA:SA.  GTA3 pretty much gave birth to the modern sandbox 3rd person action games as we know it.  There is a reason that, for the longest time, any such game was described as a "GTA clone"  GTA:SA did have many revolutionary elements, yes.  But a few of those where taken from other Rockstar games.  Its much praised shooting system was lifted right from Manhunt (which takes place in the GTA universe)

I just don't think you can say GTA:SA was a "great game of the 21st century" while leaving GTA3 out of the discussion, since without it you wouldn't even be talking about  GTA:SA

I've been saying that too. But then again, GTA:SA is the one with The Truth in it, so...

This isn't the proof of concept thread, it's the greatest game thread so there's your answer as to why people are stating SA as their preference. While GTA3 was a great game in its own right, as the trilogy moved through, Vice City and on to San Andreas the general consensus is that they kept on building and improving the game - although it does seem close between VC & SA. Since people are preferring to put the GTA Series in as one entry since it's quite possible it'd have 4/5 entries (is GTAIV looked at more fondly now, bar cousin phone calls?). GTA3 was very much the proof of concept in how it all goes together and has been refined fantastically as time goes on. Maybe some who missed it at the time will overlook it since it was during the latter part of the trilogy that the series really came to life but because those games that followed on from it were so ridiculously good it doesn't come to the forefront as easily. That would be why a series entry seems to be the easiest way to do GTA the justice it deserves!

For what it's worth, although it's slightly too early for this discussion my favourite thing in the GTA games was in 2 when you were playing the various factions off against each other. I know it's more story based now so understand why it's taken out but damn I miss that :( 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lint said:

Because personally it seems a bit silly to put 4 versions on the same game into the discussion. GTA III is the most important since it was the first and was the blueprint and changed games. But GTA-SA to me was the last iteration that added 'stuff' (swimming, push bikes, car customisation, proper aeroplanes, player customisation driving/flying school? etc.) and had improved upon the previous iterations in a significant way. 

The way I think of it is if they remastered every version to have the same graphics but kept everything else the same, SA is the version I'd want to play. It had the best soundtrack and besides the underwater stuff I don't think they've added anything super significant since. 

• Like 3

I still have fond memories of cruising Grove Street in a lowrider, listening to "Hood Took Me Under" and "How Could I Just Kill A Man". 3 and VC were fine, but I don't have the lasting memories of those like I do with San Andreas. They were good, and they were fun, but SA was the one that really got me to care. I didn't have that investment in the characters in 3 or VC, because they were all these OTT bad guys.

• Like 5