Mistaken artists and songs

=BK=

Has there ever been a time where you found out that a song you always thought was done by one artist was actually by another?

I've been watching a lot of The Voice on youtube lately and I've drifted over to the UK version. As a result I've been seeing quite a bit of Jessie J. I thought it weird that there was this star that I knew of but had never heard a song of hers that wasn't being performed by a contestant. I punched in her name on YouTube and come to find out a song I've really enjoyed on more than one occasion is one of hers.

For years now I've just been assuming this was a Katy Perry song which is odd because I'm a big Katy fan so you'd think I'd be able to hear the difference.

Edited by Kirkland

Adele for me. When Rolling in the Deep came out I thought Beth Ditto had had a makeover. 

Plus it sort of blended in to 3-4 other female musicians who were releasing similar stuff around then and everyone was all 'Adele this' and 'Adele that' and I didn't know which one she was or what made her different to any of the others. 

So it was both that I mistook her for someone else then was just confused because in my head there were a load of songs that sounded like hers and I couldn't remember which one she was. Not really listening to the radio doesn't help. Quite often I know a song because I'll have heard it in shops or adverts or whatever but will have no idea who the artist is (for some reason it's far more true for female artists, Sia and Rihanna might as well be the same person. That could have something to do with Rihanna having performed songs that were written by Sia though).

• Like 1

Oh man, there was a song I heard a couple months and I was so sure it was Rihanna when it wasn't. I can't remember what song it was but as soon as I found out it wasn't her she went back down to only having one song I like.

3 hours ago, Kirkland said:

Oh man, there was a song I heard a couple months and I was so sure it was Rihanna when it wasn't. I can't remember what song it was but as soon as I found out it wasn't her she went back down to only having one song I like.

Sia's "Cheap Thrills"?

• Like 1

Heard a couple of Weeknd songs that I thought at first were Jason Derulo. And you can't tell me that "I Feel It Coming" doesn't sound like Michael Jackson a bit.

(Incidentally I prefer the Weeknd's cover of MJ's "Dirty Diana" over the original version.)

4 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Sia's "Cheap Thrills"?

That may have been it.

I remember the days of Napster where Ben Harper was confused for many artists. Two that stand out was 'In Your Eyes' cover version by Jeffrey Gaines, and Eagle Eye Cherry's 'Falling in Love Again'.

When DJing a friends wedding, I played Bruno Mars 'Locked out of Heaven', and someone asked what Sting song was that.

Edited by db07
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, db07 said:

I remember the days of Napster where Ben Harper was confused for many artists.

I remember being in junior high and me and my friends would download what we thought were Weird Al songs, but they'd turn out to be by Mark Jonathan Davis or Bob Rivers or random morning DJs (but mostly Bob Rivers, really). 

On 3/11/2017 at 04:57, Quom said:

Adele for me. When Rolling in the Deep came out I thought Beth Ditto had had a makeover. 

Was Beth Ditto/the Gossip just a bigger deal overseas or did I miss the window where they were popular? It seems like it's mostly Australians and people from the UK who have any idea who she is. If I ask people here they don't even know, and she's from a town that's not even 30 minutes away from me!

11 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

I remember being in junior high and me and my friends would download what we thought were Weird Al songs, but they'd turn out to be by Mark Jonathan Davis or Bob Rivers or random morning DJs (but mostly Bob Rivers, really). 

Was Beth Ditto/the Gossip just a bigger deal overseas or did I miss the window where they were popular? It seems like it's mostly Australians and people from the UK who have any idea who she is. If I ask people here they don't even know, and she's from a town that's not even 30 minutes away from me!

Heavy Cross was huge here for a summer.

• Like 1

It was that period when guitar bands could actually have hits again, and combined with the image Standing in the Way of Control was pretty massive in the UK. Plus Beth and Jarvis Cocker did an amazing cover of Temptation by Heaven 17 at the NME awards around the same time.

• Like 1