Iron Fist - Netflix Original Series

I Don't Mind

We seem to generate enough discussion for each of the Defender series to warrant it's own thread. While this was panned by critics before it's release, I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it. So far what I like, without spoilers, is it really feels like it's in the same city as the rest of the characters. An interesting detail is the ratio of day-scenes to night-scenes in this series compared to the other Defenders. Reviews be damned, I'm enjoying it. I woke up early this morning to put it back on, but there are definitely flaws.

Episode 2

I get that you were 10 years old when you were separated from the modern world, Danny, but you were on the cusp of a simple, doctor-signed-off-on, "I am sane" release and you could not STFU? Maybe emotional growth gets stunted when you go into another dimension for 15 years, but you would think you'd learn common fucking sense in-between buddah quotes! Gawd! Just every line out of his mouth made me Apu!

• Like 1

I just finished the second episode and already the connections to the other Defenders are set up, what martial arts/action there has been is wonderfully shot and this is quite possibly going to be the only show I watch for the next couple of days until I have watched it all, despite having other shows I should be binge watching.

Maybe its because, of the 4 (so far) Netflix series, I knew the least about Iron Fist...actually knew nothing about him.  I'm really enjoying the series and don't get the hate its gotten from reviews

The first 4 episodes were super slow, and nothing much happened, I get why they said what they said, I don't agree I just understand and it was always going to get shit because press want to do that.

But it's great, I like Danny, I like Coleen, I dislike everyone else... It's all good. Just about to start ep7

They fucked up on the pacing of this show so bad. I've just finished episode two, and, like:

(SPOILERS FOR ALL THE NETFLIX SHOWS)

Spoiler

By the end of episode two of Daredevil season 1, we had the hallway fight. By the end of episode two of Jessica Jones, we'd had Kilgrave making Hope kill her own parents and setting up that whole long arc with Jessica trying to prove her innocence. By the end of Daredevil season 2, The Punisher had shot up the entire Kitchen Irish mob. By the end of episode two of Luke Cage, Pops was dead and Cottonmouth had chucked the dude who did it off the top of the roof.

By the end of episode two of Iron Fist, he's, uh... he's fought a couple of flunkies and punched a door, which in and of itself isn't really all that cool given where the MCU is at at this point. And the Meachums have all been talking vaguely at each other! A lot!

I wanted to try and get further but I might just put it on hold to catch up on all the CW shows instead.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

They fucked up on the pacing of this show so bad. I've just finished episode two, and, like:

(SPOILERS FOR ALL THE NETFLIX SHOWS)

Hide contents

By the end of episode two of Daredevil season 1, we had the hallway fight. By the end of episode two of Jessica Jones, we'd had Kilgrave making Hope kill her own parents and setting up that whole long arc with Jessica trying to prove her innocence. By the end of Daredevil season 2, The Punisher had shot up the entire Kitchen Irish mob. By the end of episode two of Luke Cage, Pops was dead and Cottonmouth had chucked the dude who did it off the top of the roof.

By the end of episode two of Iron Fist, he's, uh... he's fought a couple of flunkies and punched a door, which in and of itself isn't really all that cool given where the MCU is at at this point. And the Meachums have all been talking vaguely at each other! A lot!

I wanted to try and get further but I might just put it on hold to catch up on all the CW shows instead.

The problem I found with the other netflix series was they had that 'key' moment happen too early, when you have around 13 hours of content you can have the build be a little slower. After the first 2-3 episodes of Jessica Jones I felt it dragged storyline wise for 5-6 episodes before picking up again and the same happened with Luke Cage.

A good show has a start, middle and end, the issue with the shows I mentioned is the middle lasted too long and was too early in the story.

I'm also up to episode 2 and i'm loving it. 

Spoiler

I like that it's been action light so far, we know he can do a fight and punch stuff already so it's nice spending the early episodes getting to know all of the characters pretty well.  

• Like 2

Finished the series last night. I really enjoyed it and all of the characters except for Joy. Ward actually became one of my favorites. Following all of the Rand goings-on was like watching American Psycho meets West Wing. Season ending could have been delivered a little better I thought. All the pieces were there, and I could see what they were trying to do, but it felt a bit rushed and vague.

The show definitely suffers from the trope of diminishing villain returns. From their introduction in Daredevil onwards, The Hand is the OHSHIT villain who leaves a pile of bodies in their path, and it's believable they could kill Daredevil too. By the time the Netflix Marvel Universe gets to Iron Fist, The Hand don't even bother with ninja outfits and they just get beat up left, right, and center. Only one who actually is in real danger of death is Colleen. And I know The Foot Clan of TMNT is based off The Hand, but so much of the dialogue at the compound reminded me of TMNT 2's Foot Clan infiltration dialogue. Everything about being part of a family, etc. Which granted, all cults are based on that, but with The Hand it really felt like no one was worth their weight in salt. Just a bunch of kids who graduated from kata class. Danny and Davos tear through them like they're some yellow belts.

5 hours ago, Deathlok190 said:

The problem I found with the other netflix series was they had that 'key' moment happen too early, when you have around 13 hours of content you can have the build be a little slower. After the first 2-3 episodes of Jessica Jones I felt it dragged storyline wise for 5-6 episodes before picking up again and the same happened with Luke Cage.

A good show has a start, middle and end, the issue with the shows I mentioned is the middle lasted too long and was too early in the story.

Oh, all the Netflix Marvel shows have pacing issues, but the point is that all of them have a storyline hook. These first two episodes have absolutely nothing I find compelling or distinctive, in part because only Colleen is all that interesting (Joy could be worse, though. Ward couldn't.).

Danny was great. Ward was great. Colleen was great. Harold was a little campy but it made him even more great. Joy was kind of eh, but not too bad. So I liked all the main cast. I really liked it overall. It was consistently good but never really great, so it's below Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones S1, and better and worse than parts of Luke Cage S1 and Daredevil S2.

They didn't even cover the main story I thought they were going to, so there's still plenty to look forward to. Critics are idiots. It wasn't a 10/10, but it was a solid 7.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily say critics are idiots. This is the first Netflix Marvel property that I have no desire to do a marathon bingewatch of, and after two episodes, I'm not even sure if I care about finishing it. Maybe some of the criticism was too harsh, but so far this is on track to be the lowest ranked Netflix/Marvel show for me. Luke Cage, for all its flaws, was a lot more compelling to me.

That it's the weakest of all the Netflix Marvel stuff I can fully understand that critics give it a lesser score than the other shows. But last time I checked it had a 37/100 on Metacritic, and those aren't the user scores mind.

37 is just over the top ridiculous, almost mean spirited. Such a score should be reserved for shows that literally have no redeeming features, not a show that simply isnt as good as its phenomenal predecessors.

Personally, I've seen the first two episodes and I was entertained and intrigued. Sure, it didn't hook me as well as the other shows, but i'll certainly watch it through and i'm confident that I will like it a lot. It might not be the finest piece of television ever made, but it doesn't need to be. And i'm a bit frustrated that experts are critically panning it based off the other shows, rather than on its own merits.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

What else are they supposed to compare it to? You can compare and contrast shows and still judge them on their own merits as well. I think some of you guys are being suuuuper forgiving about this show because you already went into it wanting to like it. It's fine if you like it, lord knows it's not the first critically panned and fan-loved show in the world, but just shrugging the criticism off as "stupid" or "mean" or whatever comes off as a defensive knee-jerk reaction to the fact that other people didn't.

16 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

What else are they supposed to compare it to? You can compare and contrast shows and still judge them on their own merits as well. I think some of you guys are being suuuuper forgiving about this show because you already went into it wanting to like it. It's fine if you like it, lord knows it's not the first critically panned and fan-loved show in the world, but just shrugging the criticism off as "stupid" or "mean" or whatever comes off as a defensive knee-jerk reaction to the fact that other people didn't.

And your responses are a knee-jerk reaction to the fact you don't particularly care for it. And mine is a knee-jerk reaction to the fact I did.

You can go around and around with that argument all day.

Fact of the matter is when I heard last it was sitting around 13% on metacritic, which is absurd. 50% would be low for me, but I'd at least understand it because it is a average show and my extra 20% or so are admitedly due to my love for the character and material. 13% just seems like people wanting to grab dem page views. And lo' and behold, the Metacritic user reviews are around that above average 6.

And besides, critics are idiots. Their job is basically to tell you if something is shit or not instead of making your own opinion. If I listened to critics I wouldn't have watched Iron Fist nor Ghostbusters (2016) this weekend, both of which I enjoyed.

Hey, so, I hated Daredevil. Let me get that out in the open first and foremost. I didn't really care for Luke Cage but it had some pretty cool parts.@Cloudy's indifference to finishing the show was how I felt about Luke Cage and midway through S2 of Daredevil. My absolute favorite so far is definitely Jessica Jones, and I don't see anything topping that show, but Iron Fist is second place for me.

Pacing issues? Sure, I guess. I'm not a television critic or anything, I watched the entire season in two days and by the end of the season, I was left wanting more. I want to know what happens right now, I don't want to wait. The last time I felt like that was when Jessica Jones ended.

I said this on DVDVR - I was more invested in Kilgrave/Jessica and Danny/Colleen than I was in anything that happened in Luke Cage and Daredevil. Kilgrave is my favorite villain of the Netflix shows (so far), and Danny & Colleen are by far the only romantic relationship I remotely give a fuck about. Does that have more to do with Colleen being fucking awesome in this show? Probably.

My main takeaway from this show is that everyone has their preferences. Critics hated this show. Armchair TV critics online will nitpick everything and dissect shit scene by scene. I just watch these shows how they are and if I enjoy them, great. If I don't, whatever, it's only 13 hours of my life wasted :shifty:

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

After finishing the season this weekend, I'm happy with it. I'm interested to see if they use this cliffhanger to open the Defenders or leave it for an Iron Fist second season.
I've enjoyed all the MCU shows so far. They've all had ups and downs but that doesn't make me dislike them none. If only I could watch the movies the same. I still haven't watched Winter Soldier after just seeing Age of Ultron last week.