Iron Fist - Netflix Original Series

I Don't Mind

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

After finishing the season this weekend, I'm happy with it. I'm interested to see if they use this cliffhanger to open the Defenders or leave it for an Iron Fist second season.
I've enjoyed all the MCU shows so far. They've all had ups and downs but that doesn't make me dislike them none. If only I could watch the movies the same. I still haven't watched Winter Soldier after just seeing Age of Ultron last week.

You should...Winter Soldier is a lot of fun

• Like 1

I liked Winter Soldier, but I don't know if the pre-hype for it killed it off for me or what, but I didn't care for it the way a lot of folks seem to. It was a very good film, but in the MCU I'd probably put the first Avengers and Iron Man above it, and Ant-Man and GotG over it since release. Maybe I need to give it a rewatch with tempered expectations.

Episode 3 felt muuuuuuuuuuch better than the first 2.

EDIT: Episode 4:

• Spoiler

Colleen fighting in the cage set to Run The Jewels has been one of the best fight scenes so far. IMO, the best fight scenes so far have been Colleen vs. whoever.

• Like 2

Episode 3 was okay. Certainly better than the first two, which I thought were actively bad. We're past the inexorable gridlock of "I'm Danny!"/"No you're not."/"No I'm Danny, for real!"/"Nuh-uh!" and since I'm pot-committed to watching through the show no matter what due to the rest of the MCU, I'm thankful to see anyone from the other shows. It also had the first moment where I thought something was actually cool, in

Spoiler

Danny punching Random Henchman's brass knuckles. Colleen vs. Bitey McMohawk was the best fight thusfar, though like all the others there was something taking me out of it that I can't quite put my fingers on. Could be that there are too many sudden, jarring cuts, which is a thing I'm becoming very sensitive to from Lucha Underground using them pretty much any time anything goes wrong.

The cliffhanger at the end made me laugh, though, which... I can't imagine they were going for? It looked like a certain Fresh Prince of Bel-Air running gag.

• Like 1

I've dug episode 5 the most so far.

Spoiler

Claire! Madame Gao! Ward does heroin! Claire! Going into the pier all sneaky-beaky like! Claire!

Also, I think Joy and Colleen are my two favorite characters so far. If there turns out to be some bait and switch bullshit and Joy is made into a villain, I won't be pleased - she's easily one of the most interesting, complex characters on the show. The scene with her and Ward after she found him passed out in his office was great stuff. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I've enjoyed the show and found it much easier to get through then Jessica Jones was. I love Krysten Ritter and I liked the premise but it felt really hard to get through. I think Finn Jones has done a great job with Danny Rand so far (only on episode 7) and liking the Hogarth/Claire cameos. The Defenders is shaping up nicely.

Edited by punky
  • Like 1

Episode 7's rolling along and then

Spoiler

jesus cwist, Harold's beating corpses with hammers

EDIT: Also, really love Madame Gao. Love that she's an overarching villain for DD and Iron Fist, and that so little seems to be known about her. Wai Ching Ho plays her so well, with this sense of foreboding and menace and power that belies the whole "frail, sweet old woman" thing.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 19:11, Cloudy said:

I've dug episode 5 the most so far.

Hide contents

Claire! Madame Gao! Ward does heroin! Claire! Going into the pier all sneaky-beaky like! Claire!

Also, I think Joy and Colleen are my two favorite characters so far. If there turns out to be some bait and switch bullshit and Joy is made into a villain, I won't be pleased - she's easily one of the most interesting, complex characters on the show. The scene with her and Ward after she found him passed out in his office was great stuff. 

I think 5 was my favorite thus far. Things are starting to pick up!

The belief is July/August with The Punisher coming October/November

Finished episode seven.

Spoiler

I don't think I was meant to crack up at Ward killing his dad but those big ridiculous "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" noises every time he stabbed him destroyed me. What in the world?

Ward is better now that he's gone from Rich Businessman Dick to Nicolas Cage Presents: Rich Business Man Dick Losing His Mind, but that's not a real genuine appreciation or anything. The highlights of the show are Colleen and Madame Gao by a mile, and it's nice that they've tied in the Claire plot from Daredevil season 2 and given that some added heft. If I had the time to rewatch things I'd almost want to rewatch all the episodes of the Netflix shows that Claire's in just to get a tight focus on her arc over these four seasons of TV.

I still very much do not think this is a good television show, but it's at least gone from "bad and also boring" to "not very good but sometimes fun stuff happens." Best scenes thusfar: "Take on Me" assassin, Colleen fight club scenes, Danny vs. Not Juri From Street Fighter, any Gao Lectures Danny scene, Danny and Hogarth interacting in general.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 06:37, I Don't Mind said:

I'd give it till episode 6 before tapping out. 6 is directed by RZA from Wu-Tang Clan, and it's very obvious and very cool. First time he uses his powers in a way that made me authentically mark out

I used this recommendation as my point to where I'd say something, and I finally finished episode 6. It started off pretty cool and interesting, but then it turned into the lamest shit ever. Everything about this show, barring anything that already pre-existed in the Defenders universe, and Colleen, is cool. I'm halfway into the season and Danny Rand is an absolutely shit character so far. Not looking forward to having to finish the rest of this season, but I'm all in for the Defenders season later this year.

• Like 1