FOX's X-Men Film & TV Universe Thread

DFF

Jesus fucking christ another Singer-directed X-Men movie? Fuck off with that shit already.  Wow, the Dark Phoenix saga again, because it went so well the first time and wow gosh we sure did get super fucking invested in the new versions of those characters we saw in Apocalypse!  Garbage, let if die already.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Logan and Deadpool were so dope. The original X-Men movies were cool first time round, but have little to no replay value. Eveything else is whatever.

Never heard of this legion thing tho, is it any good?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, K said:

Logan and Deadpool were so dope. The original X-Men movies were cool first time round, but have little to no replay value. Eveything else is whatever.

Never heard of this legion thing tho, is it any good?

Legion is really different, and is really part of the continuity in name only. It really is completely standalone, with barely if any references to the other X-Men stuff. It's also very psychological and downright trippy at times, as you the viewer try to get a grip on the delusions and mental machinations of a guy that is both unimaginably powerful, but also downright fucked up in the head.

Dan Stevens is simply phenomenal in the role, and he owns the character and the show in superb fashion. If you're intrigued by trailers, or just watch the first episode, keep watching because whilst it's nowhere near as actiony as most shows, it shines in having a lead character which is just so markedly different than the 'superhero' norm. It's a bit like Mr. Robot, but instead of a computer genius with somewhat coherent delusions, it's an extremely dangerous telepath with batshit insane delusions.

Also, Aubrey Plaza has a few amazing performances as the season progresses.

Also they play a lot with the overall design and feel of the show, to evoke certain ideas. And you're left unsure whether it's part of the greater delusion, or just generally the way that work is set. With flashes of 50s style, and then some 70s style, and then following it up with some futuristism, the show is never set in what kind of world you're in, and it further enhances the viscerality of what the show gives you.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

From what I've heard, yeah. I still have all 8 episodes on my DVR because I watch roughly six billion TV shows at any given time, but I intend to get around to it. Critical consensus has been pretty positive, but I know there's a few people on here who weren't as hot on it.

I loved Legion and generally rank it in consideration for best TV show of the year. However, I know a few people that didn't get along with it at all.

4 hours ago, DFF said:

I loved Legion and generally rank it in consideration for best TV show of the year. However, I know a few people that didn't get along with it at all.

I seem to have the same experience as you on that regard. I loved it from start to finish, and the cinematographer deserves awards. But some people just couldn't get into it.

One thing that seems to be a consensus amongst those people, they don't pay  attention and get annoyed when they look back after 15 seconds and they've lost the plot.

They had the same issues regarding Mr. Robot Season 1

Edited by Jasonmufc

• 4 months later...

The premiere episode of Gifted was pretty good. I'm not sure about some of the characters, though.

Okay, we definitely have

Polaris and Blink

, and I believe another may be

Thunderbird

, but are any of the others pre-existing characters, or all new? The son's powers are pretty similar to a couple of different characters that I can think of.

I mean, it would be monumentally stupid to create new characters for the show, given the massive amount of characters available due to the X-Men license.  But it would also be the most Fox thing ever.

They also gave the family the last name Strucker. Wonder if the father's grandfather was a bald Nazi?

A little easter egg easily missed:

The light powered guy's ringtone is the theme to the 90's X-Men animated series.

Edited by GhostMachine

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Avenged said:

Only 4 episodes in but I’m loving The Gifted so far. Really happy to see some favourite characters brought to life.

I'm about 8 or 9 in. It's a little formulaic, but I am enjoying it a fair bit. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...