Shows most people probably haven't watched but should

Benji

The Life and Times of Tim.

An animated show with like the (deliberately) shittiest hand drawn animation but I find it really funny. The voicing really brings it to life to so much. Main two characters are voiced by Steve Dildarian (the creator) and Nick Kroll. Has had guest voices from people like Aziz Ansari, Bob Odenkirk, Jeff Garlin, Elliot Gould, JK Simmons, Philip Baker Hall, Billy Dee Williams, Alfred Molina, Paul F. Tomkins, Bob Einstein, Debi Mazar, Lizzy Caplan, Natasha Leggero, Tony Hale, Fred Willard, Lauren Lapkus and a bunch of others. I only really wrote that many out because as I was doing it it seemed like it could be the cast of a Coen Brothers film or something.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Benji said:

I'd pick Avatar: The Last Airbender. I imagine most people dismiss it because it's a cartoon which was geared towards kids, but it's actually one of the best told stories I've ever seen. It starts off a little slow, but it picks up pace as the show goes on with near perfect increase in tension and stakes, and arcs into one of my favourite finales ever.

It has the best character development for a single character I have seen in any show for any intended audience, and the other characters all go through good levels of development. It balances drama and comedy extremely well, and out of the seven regular characters there's not a bad one among them, there's obvious characters who have more comedy than others, but they all get their own humour and drama, which is something very few shows manage.

To add to that, the world is both unique and extremely familiar, it's a great example of world building and there's clear distinct inspired cultures throughout the various nations/tribes, but all hold a level of similarity so they don't just seem like "we're different because the writing called for it".

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to spend 20-30 hours, you could do significantly worse than A:TLA.

You are spot on about Avatar. I dismissed it for so long exactly because of that but when I started watching I couldn't stop. It's so good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MDK said:

Stressed Eric. I dunno how well known it is outside of my head, but I thought it was brilliant. 

I remember that one. I don't recall most of the finer details, though. I might look on Youtube.

Time Trumpet is a good call. Another Armando Ianucci show, The Day Today, was also fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I remember that one. I don't recall most of the finer details, though. I might look on Youtube.

Time Trumpet is a good call. Another Armando Ianucci show, The Day Today, was also fun.

I thought it only ran for one series but apparently it ran for two. I still remember it fondly and it turns out quite a few faces were in it.

2 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Stressed Eric was more a favourite of my dad and brother's, but it was wonderful. Especially when he went into sewers and saw the Perfect's next door had gift bows around their shits. :lol:

The crazy Spanish/French/Foreign nanny always cracked me up.

Also, for our North American friends, you should probably check out Bottom. It will explain the humour of the UK members over the age of 30.

• Like 1

Xavier: Renegade Angel. It's a complete and total deconstruction of the "wandering hero solving problems where he goes" trope. And absolutely hilarious to boot.

Second, the short-lived You Don't Know Jack TV adaptation. Two reasons why; 1) Paul Ruebens 2) The TWO MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION, a joke round where the question starts at 2mil but the clock winds down as soon as the question starts being read. Hijinks ensue and they are glorious.

Third, Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's like Blade Runner meets Justified.

Fourth, Black Lagoon. It's another anime but this one is completely unlike any other anime. It's basically about what would happen if an ordinary guy found himself in a world like the Grand Theft Auto universe. What makes it unique is that the show doesn't run on anime logic; it runs on action movie logic. If Quentin Tarentino made an anime, this is what it would be like.

And finally, Sand Whale and Me. Less a TV show and a series of shorts that explores what it would be like to be a video game character. Not interested yet? What if I told you the video game was a combination of Fallout and Dark Souls?

15 minutes ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Fourth, Black Lagoon. It's another anime but this one is completely unlike any other anime. It's basically about what would happen if an ordinary guy found himself in a world like the Grand Theft Auto universe. What makes it unique is that the show doesn't run on anime logic; it runs on action movie logic. If Quentin Tarentino made an anime, this is what it would be like.

I loved Black Lagoon. Very good series!

Xavier: Renegade Angel is one of those shows that, at the time, I hated it because it wasn't my "style" of humor - which was still pretty garbage - but as I got older and revisited it, I was like "holy shit, this is actually funny". 

Berserk

I'm not an anime fan but I was told I should really watch this and I was super unsure about it because it was released in like 1997... but if you want a show that will shit on your soul this is pretty much perfect.  I've been really wanting to actually read it and am stoked that they are doing a new show that is the next chapter of the store.