Bushido Blade 2 review

VerbalPuke

Back in September I reviewed Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2. I mentioned I would review more PS1 games, and well as the topic title says, Bushido Blade 2 is next on tap. 

So...that'll be next week. I know, tease right? I bought it last night, expecting it next week, and my house should be about ready by then as well. 

Anyway, I haven't played this game in years. Probably the year 2000 was the last time I actually played it so we will see if it still has that same magic. For now...uh enjoy this youtube video.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I really miss the PS1 era of beat 'em ups. Seemed like you couldn't go a month without a new one being released. Now it's only big names every 3-4 years :(

Add side scrolling beat-em-ups to that. I know someone releases some 8-bit side scroller every week but they are mostly shit. 

• Like 1

Bushido Blade is one of my favourite games of all time. Shown it to @Walker and @worldwithnorules (Lenny) a while back and we had a lot of fun playing it. Always great to break out at a games night, fun game and easy to pick up. 

On 13/04/2017 at 22:58, MDK said:

I remember getting so pissed off by the guy that had A FUCKING GUN in one of the levels.

I played it the other day again and I got a dishonorable kill on that level. Fuck that shit. 

17 minutes ago, Just Ghost said:

I played it the other day again and I got a dishonorable kill on that level. Fuck that shit. 

I remember once that I did get a clean kill on that game but it involved a tactical retreat and lots of zig zagging 

9 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I don't remember the dishonorable kill thing. I remember in Bushido Blade you coud forgeit and let your opponent kill you. 

If you move before you are supposed to or something. I forget.

So, it's a good game still. Good amount of swords with various combos/stances to use. Plus you have some special moves thrown in that I can't really remember, but they can be pretty fucking brutal. You have throwing weapons, some of which are fatal which is fucking awesome, especially when the sword sticks in a ninjas head. Graphics are surprisingly decent given the time period. 

What I really want to talk about is that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME I TRY TO UNLOCK A SECRET CHARACTER THE FUCKING SECRET CHARACTER DIES. EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME AND IT'S FUCKING PISSING ME OFF. 

So anyway, there are other features, the story mode isn't exactly full of depth but it's good enough. You don't play Bushido Blade 2 for a deep story, you play for exciting sword action, and it certainly delivers. 

My favorite characters are Gengoro and and the Red Ninja (who I can't unlock because somehow the cheap ass fucking CPU gets in a lucky shot every single time). But I got Gengoro atleast, he's a fucking beast.