Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

24 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

A broken down Zlatan who is months away from even kicking a ball again is a better choice than a fit Lukaku who was one of the top goal scorers in the league last season?

You know full well I'm talking about replacing last season's Zlatan with last season's Lukaku, because that's the only reference point we have. At least, I hope you do... There's also the consideration that Lukaku is probably going to find it more difficult playing for United than he did for Everton. I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled in his first season, especially with the way Mourinho will leave him isolated or coming up against stubborn defenses.

I dunno if people underrate him. I think he's a very good striker, but he's not world class. Not yet, at least. And there isn't much more to his game than scoring goals, and you need more than that at a bigger club. I honestly wouldn't pick him over Firmino.

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

Comparing raw statistics, Lukaku was involved in 31 goals last season (25 goals, 6 assists) in 3267 minutes (or 37 games). Firmino was involved in 18 goals (11 goals, 7 assists) in 3069 minutes (or 34 games). Firmino plays in more varied positions than Lukaku (playing 8 games on the left, 6 on the right) so focusing on the time he played up front in the centre (i.e. striker) Firmino contributed 6 assists and 6 goals in 20 games. That's nowhere near the rate of Lukaku and behind the likes of Mane (13 goals and 5 assists in 26 games) who played entirely out on the right wing.

Lukaku needs to learn to score in big games though. In 11 matches against the top 6 (he missed a game against Spurs) he contributed just 4 goals and no assists and that's not really good enough from someone who is going to cost 75 million quid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Comparing raw statistics, Lukaku was involved in 31 goals last season (25 goals, 6 assists) in 3267 minutes (or 37 games). Firmino was involved in 18 goals (11 goals, 7 assists) in 3069 minutes (or 34 games). Firmino plays in more varied positions than Lukaku (playing 8 games on the left, 6 on the right) so focusing on the time he played up front in the centre (i.e. striker) Firmino contributed 6 assists and 6 goals in 20 games. That's nowhere near the rate of Lukaku and behind the likes of Mane (13 goals and 5 assists in 26 games) who played entirely out on the right wing.

Lukaku needs to learn to score in big games though. In 11 matches against the top 6 (he missed a game against Spurs) he contributed just 4 goals and no assists and that's not really good enough from someone who is going to cost 75 million quid.

How did he get on at Stoke, though? 

1 minute ago, Cherrycode Bang said:

Good deal for Stoke that, Fletcher and Delph would be a good midfield pairing for them.

They go for rustic, British players and then somehow they bring in Arnautović and Shaqiri and Imbula. So odd. 

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

They go for rustic, British players and then somehow they bring in Arnautović and Shaqiri and Imbula. So odd. 

I'm still surprised they've managed to keep Arnautovic and Shaqiri, both are too talented to be wasted at Stoke. They're exactly the type of wingers I'd have expected Spurs to buy and do nothing with by now before going back to Europe.

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Lukaku single handedly knocked Chelsea out of the FA Cup the season before last, so he can do it in big games just doesn't do it consistently enough.

I mean, that was the season where we lost to Crystal Palace and West Ham and Stoke City and Bournemouth and Swansea and Sunderland, to name a few. It's not the best measuring stick.

37 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

At what point did I say Firmino scored more than Lukaku? I just said I wouldn't have Lukaku over him, and I wouldn't.

Edited by Nerf

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

You're all talking bollocks. Lukaku will get 45 goals and win us the league! :w00t:

Romelu '45 goals' Lukaku, he's 2.5 times as good as Daniel Sturridge.

24 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

I mean, that was the season where we lost to Crystal Palace and West Ham and Stoke City and Bournemouth and Swansea and Sunderland, to name a few. It's not the best measuring stick.

It was an FA Cup Quarter Final against one of the country's big sides, I'd say it definitely qualifies as a 'big game'. Although I get what you're saying, the worst Chelsea team in 15 odd years. But still.