Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

• Admin

Arsenal have beaten Everton to the signature of Schalke’s Bosnia and Herzegovina defender Sead Kolasinac.

The 23-year-old looked set to move to Goodison Park on a free transfer following the expiry of his contract with Schalke in June and having been in advanced talks with Everton officials. However, Arsenal have stolen in to seal a deal for the highly rated left-back after agreeing to offer the player a salary in excess of that he would have received on Merseyside.

This is the second time in under a year Arsenal have secured a player after he appeared to be on his way to Everton following the £17m signing of the Spanish striker Lucas Pérez from Deportivo La Coruña last August.

Kolasinac was born in Karlsruhe, southwest Germany, and represented Germany at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20 level before deciding to represent Bosnia and Herzegovina, his parents’ homeland. He has 23 caps and has also played 118 times for Schalke since joining them from Stuttgart in 2011

Kolasinac had also been tracked by Milan and Chelsea and his decision to join Arsenal can be deemed somewhat surprising given the uncertainty surrounding Arsène Wenger’s future at the club.

And why yes, it is stupidly early! Blame Arsenal for making early deals.

38 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Fully expecting us to spend silly money on Griezemann, but also lose Ibra to the MLS. Shaw and others might end up out as qwell when Jose decides to fuck any inclination of doing things a certain way and just builds a typical Jose team.

The lack of success he has doing that is just a shame that he ne.....oh, wait, won alot wherever he has gone and already winning with Man Utd. Poor Man Utd. :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

The lack of success he has doing that is just a shame that he ne.....oh, wait, won alot wherever he has gone and already winning with Man Utd. Poor Man Utd. :(

Oh I'm fully aware he's probably going to be really successful doing that and I'm also well aware how crass it is whenever fans of clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal and Liverpool complain about things like this, but at the same time I'd rather the club play football and approach football - as cliche as it might be to use such a phrase - "the United way". I don't like that we spent 95 million quid on Paul Pogba, I don't like that Rooney and Ibra and whoever else are on 300k + a week, and I don't like that we're probably going to spend another 90 million quid this summer on Griezemann - although if we end up winning the league and he scores 30 goals and we play exciting football or whatever I'll be eating crow with the other three United fans who are still bothered about how the club were a bit twatty in how they got rid of LVG and didn't think Jose would play attacking football.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Oh I'm fully aware he's probably going to be really successful doing that and I'm also well aware how crass it is whenever fans of clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal and Liverpool complain about things like this, but at the same time I'd rather the club play football and approach football - as cliche as it might be to use such a phrase - "the United way". I don't like that we spent 95 million quid on Paul Pogba, I don't like that Rooney and Ibra and whoever else are on 300k + a week, and I don't like that we're probably going to spend another 90 million quid this summer on Griezemann - although if we end up winning the league and he scores 30 goals and we play exciting football or whatever I'll be eating crow with the other three United fans who are still bothered about how the club were a bit twatty in how they got rid of LVG and didn't think Jose would play attacking football.

The "United Way" is a myth.

They have always spent big money on players, they have always paid big wages, they have always used their reputation as a weapon.

• Like 4

Happy with that signing, got to be a step up from Monreal.

Apparently we've agreed to pay Sanchez 300k a week, and nobody wants Ozil so it's happy days here! <_<

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm also well aware how crass it is whenever fans of clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal and Liverpool complain about things like this

See, this is something I don't buy into at all. Like, if you guys finish 6th and rightfully moan about it, fans of the smaller clubs will be all "oh poor you with your League Cup." But it's bullshit. Different clubs have different standards and different expectations. Just because fucking Burnley or whoever don't win a trophy or whatever doesn't mean United should be happy finishing mid-table.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Sheffield Utd have agreed to re-sign Ched Evans for half a million from Chesterfield. 

From a pure footballing perspective this seems strange, since he's only scored 5 times all season and his side just got relegated to League Two. Surely a move in January if he starts scoring freely in League Two would have made more sense? Unless Utd are hurting for strikers and I hadn't noticed what with their winning the division and everything.

33 minutes ago, hugobomb said:

From a pure footballing perspective this seems strange, since he's only scored 5 times all season and his side just got relegated to League Two. Surely a move in January if he starts scoring freely in League Two would have made more sense? Unless Utd are hurting for strikers and I hadn't noticed what with their winning the division and everything.

It's definitely more a move to give him a second chance over how everything unfolded - and lingering good will following his one purple patch - 29 in 36 in 11/12 - but for a club that's just been promoted its a ridiculous move. There's better choices out there even if, as United are, they're struggling for goals (right back Kieron Freeman is second top scorer for them this season and the only other player with 10 goals. Leon Clarke, a striker, has 9).

There's definitely better options though, even if United just poach from the relegated teams from the Championship. Danny Ward's scored 9 in 36 for Rotherham which isn't a great record but its recent goals in the Championship, which is something Evans has never done. Danny Graham has 11 in 26 which isn't bad either and if Birmingham goes down they could probably pick up Che Adams, who looks a decent prospect at 20 years old.

Oh, and loans and stuff obviously. Sam Gallagher (formerly of Argyle!) on loan at Blackburn from Southampton has like 11 goals in 30 games or something and it's likely he'll find himself back on loan in the Championship next season.

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

It's definitely more a move to give him a second chance over how everything unfolded - and lingering good will following his one purple patch - 29 in 36 in 11/12 - but for a club that's just been promoted its a ridiculous move. There's better choices out there even if, as United are, they're struggling for goals (right back Kieron Freeman is second top scorer for them this season and the only other player with 10 goals. Leon Clarke, a striker, has 9).

There's definitely better options though, even if United just poach from the relegated teams from the Championship. Danny Ward's scored 9 in 36 for Rotherham which isn't a great record but its recent goals in the Championship, which is something Evans has never done. Danny Graham has 11 in 26 which isn't bad either and if Birmingham goes down they could probably pick up Che Adams, who looks a decent prospect at 20 years old.

Oh, and loans and stuff obviously. Sam Gallagher (formerly of Argyle!) on loan at Blackburn from Southampton has like 11 goals in 30 games or something and it's likely he'll find himself back on loan in the Championship next season.

Daryl Murphy will be availalbe in the summer I'd have thought as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester United have had a £72m bid for Kylian Mbappé turned down with Monaco wanting at least £100m for the 18-year-old forward.

José Mourinho has made Mbappé one of his main targets for the summer but the Ligue 1 club wants to keep the player for at least another season before selling him.

United, who are also interested in Atlético Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann, has struggled in front of goal this season with Zlatan Ibrahimovic their top scorer with 28 goals this season in all competitions. The Swede, who suffered a long-term knee injury in the Europa League quarter-final against Anderlecht has struck 17 times in the league this season with Anthony Martial the second highest scorer on 11.

Monaco have told United that they will not sell Mbappé for less than £100m and that it is highly unlikely that he will leave the club this summer. Monaco hope that his value will soar even further and that they will be able to sell him for a world record fee of £125m in 2018. The player’s preferred destination would be Real Madrid but the Spanish club have yet to make an inquiry for a player who has taken France and Europe by storm this season.

United and Mourinho are also working on other possible deals and have made an inquiry to Roma about the availability of Radja Nainggolan, but the player, who turned down the chance to join Chelsea last summer, is keen to stay at the Italian club.

Mourinho’s shortlist with possible summer signings also include, for the midfield positions, Real Madrid’s Toni Kroos and Mbappé’s Monaco team-mates Fabinho and Tiemoué Bakayoko, although Chelsea are in pole position to sign the latter.

United, after the 1-1 draw against Swansea at the weekend, are in danger of missing out on a top-four place in the league but are in the semi-finals of the Europa League, where they face Celta Vigo in the first leg on Thursday night.

The winner of that competition qualifies for next season’s Champions League with United well aware that they may struggle to attract some of the names on their wishlist should they not be in Europe’s premier club competition next season.