Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

BBC Radio Solent understands that Southampton are to report Liverpool to the Premier League over an illegal approach for Virgil Van Dijk.

Lol.

Don't have a leg to stand on tbh. I imagine it's them just trying to save face with fans after selling us another player. Van Dijk's been talking to City and Chelsea too by all accounts, so they'd surely have to report them as well. Plus, y'know, every reliable source has us with a fee agreed with Southampton, with us just needing to agree a payment structure. As I said, it's a PR move and I highly doubt anything will come of it.

Literally nobody has cared about 'tapping up' since Ashley Cole anyway, even if we were guilty, which I'm pretty sure we aren't.

I was gonna say, what's the worst that could happen if they even proved an illegal approach? A slap on the wrist for being naughty? If Van Dijk wants to go, he will go because players basically hold all the cards nowadays anyway, and I'm not sure that's even a problem in an industry where said players are essentially treated as tradeable assets.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

I was gonna say, what's the worst that could happen if they even proved an illegal approach? A slap on the wrist for being naughty? If Van Dijk wants to go, he will go because players basically hold all the cards nowadays anyway, and I'm not sure that's even a problem in an industry where said players are essentially treated as tradeable assets.

Well, their issue is obviously us talking to the player before finalising the deal with them, in which case they probably regret giving us permission to talk to him in March... Worst case scenario is a chump change fine. Even then I don't see it happening. In all likelihood they've already started 'tapping up' his replacement themselves :lol: It's probably a case of Van Dijk having put a spanner in the bidding war they were hoping for by rejecting City and Chelsea, so Southampton need another way of driving up the price, and thus they've dreamt up some threat to make it seem like they have a bargaining chip. It's all a bit silly really.

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the fact that we're never going to replace him, I'd be glad he's fucking off. If you're going to go, just go. Don't threaten to leave every international break for eighteen months prior.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Troy said:

If it wasn't for the fact that we're never going to replace him, I'd be glad he's fucking off. If you're going to go, just go. Don't threaten to leave every international break for eighteen months prior.

Might not be able to 'replace' him like-for-like but I don't really think that's a bad thing. The money should be able to fund a few important signings to push the squad forward and into contention for the top six.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Might not be able to 'replace' him like-for-like but I don't really think that's a bad thing. The money should be able to fund a few important signings to push the squad forward and into contention for the top six.

BUT WHEN WILL YOUS SPEND THE ARTETA MONEY :shifty:

I'm on the same line of thinking as you. Whilst you may not be able to get someone of the same quality as Lukaku you can get several good players in and boost up the squad. A few injuries and yous are fucked and it's been like that for a long time with Everton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

BUT WHEN WILL YOUS SPEND THE ARTETA MONEY :shifty:

I'm on the same line of thinking as you. Whilst you may not be able to get someone of the same quality as Lukaku you can get several good players in and boost up the squad. A few injuries and yous are fucked and it's been like that for a long time with Everton. 

Agreed, although we have some excellent young players waiting in the wings (Holgate, Davies, Lookman, DCL) you can't rely on half a team of them, and hypothetically spending the Lukaku money on players like Sigurdsson, Sandro Ramirez, Joe Hart/Fraser Forster and a centre half would be ideal business in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

Dunno if you're serious or not but Davies and Lookman play in midfield and on the wing iirc.

DCL

It sounds a bit like left Central Defence or something.