Eurovision 2017

Lineker

There were only three decent songs in the first semi: Belgium which was streets ahead, Iceland and Finland.

Iceland and Finland were eliminated while Belgium was the last to be put through. If she'd not made it to the final I'd have joined UKIP.

Also, she was well nervous and shy. Made it better. Love her voice.

I like the mix of songs that made it through tonight, mostly. Some really strong singers, some good random-ass Eurovision bullshit, some Sexy Yodel Rap, Hungarian Rusev, etc.

I've listened to a youtube playlist with all the songs. The Albanian song could be the opening to a James Bond movie with different lyrics. I really liked that song. The same goes for the Georgian entry. So naturally neither of these make it to the finale. The only other entries that stood out where Croatia, because the singer switched from normal singing to operatic singing throughout the song, and Romania, because they somehow managed to incorporate yodeling into their otherwise boring song. And they somehow made it into the finale. Italy does have a nice song as well. The rest didn't do anything for me. I remember when Eurovision used to be a hodgepodge of curiosities and novelty songs. They also tried to work the colture of their country into the songs. Sometimes that worked well and sometimes it didn't. But it was always fun to watch. Nowadays all you get is generic, boring pop music crap that sounds like something you could actually hear on the radio. Someone suggested that it is this way because nowadays it aren't just the viewers at home that are voting but a jury as well. I suppose Eurovision isn't just for me anymore.

37 minutes ago, db07 said:

Good to see Australia has proved it's one of the best singing nations in Europe

You can only win Oceaniavision so many times before it becomes boring.

12 hours ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

The UK genuinely has one of, if not the best, staging designs this year. Even *with* Brexit, we might actually be top 10.

Everyone assumes we'll be getting nil points because of Brexit, but it would be hilarious if everyone just scores us really highly, like, "yeah, fuck off, you can pay for Eurovision next year and all".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Everyone assumes we'll be getting nil points because of Brexit, but it would be hilarious if everyone just scores us really highly, like, "yeah, fuck off, you can pay for Eurovision next year and all".

Other nations letting the UK win out of spite, while we all take it as a great compliment, would be brilliant.

• Like 2

I cannot understand all the love for the Belgium song. It has a pretty decent beat, but the vocals are kinda boring and her live performance was utterly awful.

I wasn't able to watch the second semi-final, but from the first one I really liked the Finnish song, the Moldova song (my personal favorite just for how fun it is and maybe 10% for the return of epic sax guy) and even though it is not exactly my style, I do think the Portuguese song is one of the best this year. Especially in terms of lyrics (which will probably not be understood since you know... they wrote it in Portuguese:lol:). Oh and the Italian song is great, even though I don't understand the point of the lyrics after seeing the translation.:P

I think the studio version of Belgium's is fine. My first experience with it was live and honestly, I just felt uncomfortable watching it. Didn't feel like "I'm overcoming my stage fright!" as much as "oh god I hate this, I hate all of this, make it stop."

I'm pissed off that we didn't make the final again. Not that we deserved it, I'm pissed off with RTE. 

We have an insane mount of talented musicians in this country, yet we follow Nicky Byrne up with a reject from Louis Walsh's failed off-brand One Direction. He can't sing and sounds like he's on the cusp of puberty. 

The selection process is blatantly corrupt. We should have just kept sending Jedward until we won again. :shifty:

I've put a fiver on Bulgaria to win, Italy 2nd and Portugal 3rd. 

I've normally got a decent record of betting on Eurovision.  Going in completely blind though, looking forward to it tonight!