Audio Drama Podcasts

Rocky

Since my job has got me driving 12hrs per week, I've taken up listening to audio drama podcasts and have gone through a few really good ones and trialed a few I couldn't get into.
So far I've completed;

• We're Alive
  • The Leviathan Chronicles (Incompleted)
  • The Byron Chronicles
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Our Fair City (Season 8 out in August)
  • Bronzeville (Just started today)

I've dabbled with Welcome to Night Vale but it's not grabbing me. The same has happened with The Cleansed. There are a few others, of which the names escape me, that were promising but only had a few episode produced.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I will take all into consideration and try out a few episodes to see how I go.
I'm driving again on Wednesday so I should get Bronzeville finished then.

I don't have a specific genre in mind but I definitely lean more towards the audio drama style than I do the narrative style.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Night Vale I've only listened to the first episode. It didn't really grab me. 

Its not strictly a drama (If flips between comedy, drama and horror - and no, its not an anthology), but my favorite audio show is King Falls AM. Last episode was the show's 2nd year anniversary, and the 50th episode should be out today. The show has new episodes on the 1st and 15th of each month, and I've subscribed through iTunes.

(If you decide to try it, don't judge based on one episode. It takes about 3 before the show really gets going.)

Is Limetown one of the unfinished shows that hasn't updated in a while

The Black Tapes is on my list of shows I plan to listen to eventually, along with Hadron Gospel Hour. Hadron I believe has ended.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I've noted everything listed and will subscribe asap.
I generally listen to about 2-3 hours worth of episodes before I decide if it's what I want or can listen to.
If I do like it then I won't start another until I am finished with the current one. (unless it's an ongoing series)

6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Night Vale I've only listened to the first episode. It didn't really grab me. 

Its not strictly a drama (If flips between comedy, drama and horror - and no, its not an anthology), but my favorite audio show is King Falls AM. Last episode was the show's 2nd year anniversary, and the 50th episode should be out today. The show has new episodes on the 1st and 15th of each month, and I've subscribed through iTunes.

(If you decide to try it, don't judge based on one episode. It takes about 3 before the show really gets going.)

... but you judged Night Vale on only one episode...

• Like 2

It might sound contradictory to what I said, but Night Vale's format is the problem, not the content. And I knew enough from asking others that its the format for the entire show. Hence me not listening to more episodes when I already know there's no point.

King Falls AM's storylines take a few episodes to get going, because the first episode is mostly setting up the premise. And you can pretty much listen to episodes of Night Vale at random from what I've heard. King Falls AM is a serial, and you miss out on things by not listening to them in order.

And I highly recommend King Falls AM to everyone. The show is the only reason I even have a reddit account, because one of the writers/performers does reply to posts on the show's reddit board. (I also follow the show on Facebook)

Edited by GhostMachine

Black Tapes

Tanis

Rabbits

Lime Town

Midnight Marinara

Small Town Horror

Archive 81

HG World

Alice isn't Dead

The Bright Sessions

Homecoming

LifeAfter

The X-Men Audio Drama

Secret World Chronicles

• Like 1

I would also recommend checking out some audiobooks, there's really good ones out there.  My favorite is the His Dark Materials trilogy, which is superbly acted with a full voice cast and narration done by the author of the books himself.  Really brings the world to life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rocky said:

Thank you Sir. I'll add them to my list.

Tip. Save Secret World. It's long as balls. The first bit was released as an audio book in 06.

Nah. I like to read but if it comes in audio format I'm going to listen. I love any kind of voice work.

Yeah, I'm not reading. I'm sure it is a much better story in that format but not what I can use in the time I listen.

8 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

I would also recommend checking out some audiobooks, there's really good ones out there.  My favorite is the His Dark Materials trilogy, which is superbly acted with a full voice cast and narration done by the author of the books himself.  Really brings the world to life.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

I'm 5 episodes deep into Hadron's Gospel Hour. Not sure what I was expecting but I am really enjoying it. I get a very Rick & Morty vibe from it even though I'm not a fan of the show itself.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1