Chris Cornell is dead.

GoGo Yubari

Can't believe Eddie Vedder is the only lead singer of the major grunge bands left now. Growing up in Seattle at the age I was at, Soundgarden was pretty much inescapable, as was Temple of the Dog. I always appreciated Cornell's voice, even if I didn't always love his music (particularly Audioslave). Immediately went to "Say Hello 2 Heaven" after the news broke, which is a great fucking song if a bit on-the-nose now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

That album was actually decent (still probably his worst album, mind), but he literally talked about it as the new "Dark Side of the Moon".

He did, and lol no. If anything, that album is the encapsulation of 2009... partly because of its sound, but mainly because nobody has talked about Timbaland since then.

• Like 2

Holy shit, what?

Soundgarden were such a major part of my childhood/early teenage years, and something that connected me to my older half-brother. He's nine years older than me and, when I was growing up, I looked up to him so much. He was big into the whole grunge scene, and Soundgarden particularly. We had a pet cockatiel that would whistle "Black Hole Sun".

He bought me "Euphoria Morning" one Christmas, and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, he kind of joked about it not being very good all the time. But my grandfather died shortly afterwards, and I remember listening to that album a lot over the next couple of days as I was staying at my other half-brother's house at the time, so it was the only CD I had with me. I'd put my headphones in and listen to it as I fell asleep, and it just seemed like exactly what I wanted to hear at that time.

My brother used to tell a story, too, of how, when he was a student living in Penrith, his house got broken into, and they stole every single CD from the rack in the living room, except Euphoria Morning, which they left.

I'm not a fan of everything he's done - outside of one or two tracks I never cared for Audioslave, didn't like the last Soundgarden album and, aside from "Euphoria Morning", never liked his solo material. But for what he did with Soundgarden early on, and for the memories that his music intrinsically tied to for me, this has hit me pretty hard.

Superunknown is one of my favourite albums ever. I'll be listening to that as soon as work is over.

• Like 3

ha, I just tuned into my local indie station just in time for the DJ to get the news, and he too immediately went to "Say Hello 2 Heaven."

I also have the local alternative station I used to listen to as a kid playing too. They're playing Imagine Dragons <_< (EDIT: just looked it up and they don't have an overnight DJ anymore, they just play shit on shuffle. For shame!)

Holy shit.  I always liked Soundgarden, but I LOVED Audioslave.  I still have their demo on my PC from when they were called Civilian somewhere on my PC.  Cornell was a fantastic vocalist

Genuinely broke up over this. Cornell was by far my favourite vocalist ever, the timbaland album was shit but everything else he out out I could listen to for days on end.

Can't believe it. He was tweeting about sold out shows just last night. Fucking hell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Genuinely broke up over this. Cornell was by far my favourite vocalist ever, the timbaland album was shit but everything else he out out I could listen to for days on end.

Can't believe it. He was tweeting about sold out shows just last night. Fucking hell.

I was waiting for you to get here :( I think a love of Chris Cornell was the first thing we bonded over after forum games.

3 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Honestly, you're probably the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Chris Cornell. That black & white avatar is etched in my memory moreso than anything big, red, or machine related.

Woke up this morning, checked the news on my phone and did a double take reading this. I can barely believe this is true, Cornell has to be one of my favourite vocalists from the 90s, such a unique and harsh voice that just perfectly fit with the grunge he was singing.

I'm absolutely gutted now, just unbelievable to realize he's dead at 52, especially seeing how he was in the middle of a tour and seemed perfectly healthy. 

Can't imagine what his family is going through right now, he passed on much too young.

I can barely compute what's happening in my head now.

Yeah, I was also like "I wonder when Kaney's gonna get here." I hope there's some kind of memorial by the time you visit over here in the fall.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

I was waiting for you to get here :( I think a love of Chris Cornell was the first thing we bonded over after forum games.

Yeah I think so.

Feels so lucky to have seen him last year when he played in Glasgow, absolutely the best live gig I've ever seen. Wish I could have went to a Soundgarden one as well :(