Chris Cornell is dead.

GoGo Yubari

I can't believe he was 52. Guy seemed like he was stuck in his late twenties forever.

6 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

My friend was just at their show last night???? God damn. Very sorry to see this, Soundgarden had some good jams. RIP Chris Cornell.

Yeah...looking at his Facebook page again, he posted a few videos of the show and everything. 

From the timeline I've read, he must have been Tweeting less than an hour before he died.

I'll have to spin some Soundgarden today. I have memories of being 11 and listening to Black Hole Sun on the radio, and a few years later I bought a best of album that I liked to listen to. 

While I'd be lying if I said that Soundgarden and Audioslave were among my absolute favourite bands ever, I can definitely say that I enjoyed quite a few of their songs. I think Cornell's vocal power contributed to that significantly. My favourite vocalist was Ronnie James Dio, in no small part due to his blend of vocal range and raw power, and Chris Cornell had similar talents too.

• Like 1

Despite a general liking of grunge music, I've never fully explored it until more recently (mainly AIC in that respect). However, Cornell's voice was awesome and I really dug the first Audioslave album. :(

Soundgarden played such a big part in me and my older brother bonding. But more importantly a shared love of Soundgarden is how me and my fiance met for the first time as a mutual friend said we were the only two Soundgarden fans they knew. 13 years later summer last year an Audioslave song on the radio is the reason she called me for the first time in years and no small part the reason we are together again.

• Like 2

Police say Cornell’s wife called a family friend and asked him to check on his well-being. The friend forced opened the door and found Cornell on the bathroom floor, according to police. We’re told Cornell was pronounced dead on the scene.

Detroit's WXYZ is reporting that.

Just realised this leave Vedder as pretty much the only original grunge frontman (of the 'big' artists) still going.

• Like 1

I must have been oblivious or just didn't pay enough attention. I used to talk to Midget about how much I loved Soundgarden and Chris especially but I had no idea so many of us did. Guess with our age range it makes a ton of sense. Glad I didn't find out until this morning. I wouldn't have been able to sleep. Fuck man I always feel a little self conscious when celebrity deaths hit me so hard like I didn't actually know them or anything but I am pretty numb at the moment.

....I saw soundgarden at musicfest last Sunday. They were the closing act for the weekend and all anyone could talk about. The man hadn't lost a step in his performance and I had legit chills listening to his voice over those giant speakers. Glad I got to hear them but......Fuck. 

I've come into this thread a few times today to try and post my thoughts, but I've reneged every time. I am stunned, was just in utter disbelief when a friend told me this morning. I thought it had to be a hoax or something. Here's what I've just managed to muster up to put on social media:

I am floored by the death of Chris Cornell, lead singer in two of my favourite bands. The Seattle grunge movement means a lot to me on a deeply personal level, and Cornell was a pivotal part of that through his work in Soundgarden. With one of the most distinctive, impressive voices in rock and roll history, he has forged an indelible legacy in the industry and on millions of people around the world.

I am grateful to have seen him live, even if only once, and will be cranking 'Bad Motorfinger', 'Superunknown' and 'Audioslave' loud for the foreseeable. R.I.P. Chris.

:(

47 minutes ago, New Year New Srar! said:

I must have been oblivious or just didn't pay enough attention. I used to talk to Midget about how much I loved Soundgarden and Chris especially but I had no idea so many of us did. Guess with our age range it makes a ton of sense. Glad I didn't find out until this morning. I wouldn't have been able to sleep. Fuck man I always feel a little self conscious when celebrity deaths hit me so hard like I didn't actually know them or anything but I am pretty numb at the moment.

I know what you mean, but I think it's perfectly normal to feel really bad about this sort of thing. Think of the impact certain music has on us, gets us through tough times, inspires us, and just makes a good time great. Music helps shape some of our interests, or becomes the soundtrack to eras of our life. I think it is natural to feel deep sadness for the loss of an artist that created something that had a significant impact on our lives. The same can be said for other forms of entertainment (movies, wrestling, etc).

• Like 1

The self-titled Audioslave album is the first CD I can vividly remember buying and listening to when I was young. My parent's actually liked the album too, so back then when my music was controlled by them (until I hit my early teens), that was a saving grace as well. I've tried to listen to Soundgarden, but outside of the popular singles, I can't get into them. One of my favorite Between the Buried & Me songs is actually a cover of "The Day I Tried to Live", which doesn't have anything to do with this really but it's such a well-written song that I just need to point it out for some reason.

This really has me shook up for some reason, and I'm not even that big of a fan of Chris Cornell. I can recognize that he's easily one of the best vocalist in rock music, however. I've always thought that. Again, using Audioslave as a reference, it's very apparent how talented he is and his incredible vocal range. I guess, ultimately, I'm affected because, once again, it brings home the idea that these people from our childhood/teenage years are just mere mortals and are subject to death just like us. I know that sounds weird, and famous people die every day, but when it's someone that you have "memories" of or that had a small role in your life through their art, it just really cuts deep. The way Kaney and other big fans of Cornell are reacting is making me wonder how I'll cope when my favorite artist (Reznor) eventually passes away. And it's something you never think about until something like this happens.

The fact that it was seemingly a suicide is even more heartbreaking. I can't put into words how incredibly sad that makes me feel. Just... man, fuck.

24 minutes ago, tristy said:

The self-titled Audioslave album is the first CD I can vividly remember buying and listening to when I was young. My parent's actually liked the album too, so back then when my music was controlled by them (until I hit my early teens), that was a saving grace as well. I've tried to listen to Soundgarden, but outside of the popular singles, I can't get into them. One of my favorite Between the Buried & Me songs is actually a cover of "The Day I Tried to Live", which doesn't have anything to do with this really but it's such a well-written song that I just need to point it out for some reason.

That self titled album was cracking. So many good songs, its not often you get an album with the next track as good as the previous one. And then you have Hypnotise in the middle of the album and its like an oasis, nothing like the rest of the songs but the best tune on the album.

• Like 2