Chris Cornell is dead.

GoGo Yubari

Heartbroken. I grew up on Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains, and all three lead vocalists are now gone. Cornell had such a great, unique voice. I'm so glad I got to see Audioslave years ago, even if I was a much bigger Soundgarden fan. Just seeing him perform was incredible.

I'm pretty gutted....I wasn't aware of Soundgarden, when they were in their prime, I was more into Audioslave, but I have since got into Soundgarden since their subsequent reunion. Saw them back in 2012 when they headlined a festival in Australia, and then went to their sideshow on the same tour so I wasn't stuck with a festival set.

When I started playing guitar back in 2007, as a 19 year old, one of the first songs I wanted to learn was his cover of Billie Jean from the Unplugged Session in Sweden,even though the picking was way over my head, and the chord shapes. I ended up watching him do an acoustic show at the Sydney Opera House, which is one of my all time favourite gigs. Two things that stand out is him coming on stage at the start of the show and saying how great it was to play in a place that does not smell like piss. The other was him introducing a song, by saying it was originally written for a piano, but since there was no piano on stage, he had to play the backing track on vinyl, so he can't move around otherwise it will jump. He then went on to sing what is probably now my favourite song of his, which tbh nearly brought me to tears that night.

Edited by db07

The last song Soundgarden played was "In My Time Of Dying", a Led Zeppelin cover. It wasn't unusual for them to cover this, but in hindsight..

In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is take my body home

Oh, I did somebody some good
Somebody some good
Oh, did somebody some good
I must have did somebody some good
Oh, I believe I did
I see the smiling faces
I know I must have left some traces
And I see them in the streets
And I see them in the field
And I hear them shouting under my feet
And I know it's got to be real
Oh, Lord, deliver me
All the wrong I've done
You can deliver me, Lord
I only wanted to have some fun
Hear the angels marching, hear them marching, hear them marching

• Like 1

Just realised I've only ever actually heard four of this guy's songs. Those being Rusty Cage (cause it was on GTA), Black Hole Sun (cause it was on Guitar Hero or Rock Band), Original Fire (cause a Belgian sent it to me once) and the James Bond one (cause it was on James Bond). Odd, given how famous he & Soundgarden are.

So I made amends and had a listen to Superunknown because it seems to be the most famous one. I thought it was very good.

Sad news.

His family disputes the coroner's report. In a statement they say that if he commited suicide " he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions. Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise.”. They also say that he could've taken a high dose of the anti-anxiety drug Ativan (for which he had a legal pescription) and that there is medical literature that "indicates that Ativan can cause paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgment.”

In a different statement his wife says that she talkd to him before the show and that they were making plans for a vacation over Memorial Day amongst other things. She also says that when they spoke after the show he was different and slurring his lines and that he said he may have taken an extra Ativan or two.

Source: MetalSucks.net

• 2 weeks later...

Toxicology report's been released

The drugs found in Cornell's system were "butalbital, lorazepam, pseudoephedrine and its metabolite norpseudoephedrine, caffeine, and naloxone." The caffeine came from No-Doz tablets the singer ingested prior to his death, while the pseudoephedrine was employed as a decongestant.

Other prescription drugs included the sedative Butalbital, Narcan ("a narcotic antagonist") and four doses of Lorazepam, which is known as the anxiety medication Ativan.

The Cornell family has previously blamed the rare side effects of Ativan – which includes suicidal thoughts – for catalyzing the singer's death. However, the medical examiner noted that while the 200 ng/mL level of Ativan in Cornell's blood was well higher than the average 30-50 ng/mL dosage, it was also lower than the 300 ng/mL Ativan blood levels of those whose death are tied to the drug.