35 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I've never been able to play Tekken properly. I used to enjoy button mashing on the first three games in order to unlock the character endings, but I'd get trounced by almost anyone in competitive play. Force Mode was a lot of fun.

Not enough side-scrolling beat 'em ups. We need the return of Mayor Mike Hagar to clean up Metro City.

• Like 4

I watched a review of this, and kind of felt a desire to get it (despite the story mode being just Mishima stuff, which I give no fucks about)...

But then I remembered that what I'm actually pining for are those innocent days spent lounging round my friend's house playing Tekken 3 for hours, and I need to accept that those are never coming back.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

Not enough side-scrolling beat 'em ups. We need the return of Mayor Mike Hagar to clean up Metro City.

Absolutely. Possibly my favourite genre ever. It's one of my life goals to somehow get involved in the development of one based on '60s/'70s lucha libre movies.

I was really disappointed when I found out that the Kung Fury spin-off game, Kung Fury: Street Rage, was just a timed button press thing, and not a side-scroller.

• Like 2

I think there have been some decent side-scrollers in the semi-recent past. Castle Crashers was great, and then you've got the likes of Shank, Rampage Knights, Scott Pilgrim vs the World and Fist Puncher. Budget digital releases are often your best port of call for genres that aren't considered marketable enough for physical releases nowadays.

Girlfriend is a big Tekken fan, was going to get her Tekken 7 but she asked for Tag Tournament 2 instead.  I beat the arcade mode with the kangaroo and then got a cut scene where the kangaroo went back to visit his wife and child, only to find that a raptor had taken his place.

It's a confusing game.

• Like 5

Beat the story mode in no time flat, even watching cutscenes. One of my major issues is how they decided to tackle the controls. Story mode has a special feature called story assist that lets you instantly do some of the character in use's signature or useful moves. This... really, really makes the mode far too easy, to a damaging extent because every battle can quickly come down to spamming Story Assist. The character episodes, which are basically one to two battles for every character who doesn't have a huge part in the main plot, are really well done though. This is where you'll get character endings this time around, and overall.... yeah, they did good with this.

As far as the main plot goes.... I'm torn on how to feel about this. There's not anything inherently wrong with it, but I really dislike their use of a third party narrator, as his own character, between chapters. It honestly drags me out of the story a little, but to each their own. I also have some major problems with the ending, which I won't get into even in spoiler tags because I feel it'd be better for people to experience the story themselves. Overall, I enjoyed the story, but.... it still feels like they missed their mark ever so slightly. 

The main game is definitely where Tekken 7 shines, however. The controls feel more responsive and tight, they did a great job of adjusting characters to the removal of bounds, and I'm definitely enjoying the addition of certain moves being uninterruptible while also still making you take damage. Great way to trade damage and punish someone going for a reckless charge, as well as to knock the opponent back so you can regain your bearings. The customization options are also absolutely great this time around. I personally love that we kept the NJPW collab items even in the west. I'll never get tired of seeing King in the Okada collab outfit just blasting a dude with the Rainmaker. :D

In the end... for any bad the game could do, it makes up for it with something even better. It's an amazing experience, and a bit better of an experience than even Tag Tournament 2, which I considered my favorite Tekken even as a life long fan since game one. Definitely a must buy for any Tekken fan, in my opinion.

However, it lacks a Los Ingobernables de Japon shirt in the collab, so 8/10 :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skummy said:

Absolutely. Possibly my favourite genre ever. It's one of my life goals to somehow get involved in the development of one based on '60s/'70s lucha libre movies.

I was really disappointed when I found out that the Kung Fury spin-off game, Kung Fury: Street Rage, was just a timed button press thing, and not a side-scroller.

If I ever get around to learning coding and finally watching lucha movies, I'll try to remember this.

• Like 1

King feels a bit sluggish, but if I can land the first kick, it's usually ballgame.

Claudio feels like one of those characters to just chase someone down with, similar to Kazuya in some regards.  Thought I was going to stick with Shaheen, but that's gone cold.

Short Girl, meanwhile, is allllll about some Lucky Chloe.  Always with the dancers...