EWB's Top 50 Favourite Games of the 2000's - Results thread!

It's finally here! The Top 50 games of the 2000s (noughties is such a weird word to describe the decade) as voted by you!

Over 70 unique games were voted for, and over 50 featured on more than one ballot! Here were a select few that didn't make the cut:
- Super Smash Bros Brawl
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Gears of War 2
- Gran Turismo 3
- Football Manager 2008

And with that, let's see what games DID make the cut!

midnight-club-3-dub-edition-remix-200603
50. Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition REMIX (22 Points, appeared on 2 Ballots)

]gfs_41917_1_5.jpg
49. Conker's Bad Fur Day (24 Points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Need%20for%20Speed%20Underground%20Free%
48. Need for Speed Underground 2 (24 Points, appeared on 3 ballots)

f0ac3763498bbc869ab9ed8051825926.jpg
via-www-ign-com.jpg
47. Portal & Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (26 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Hm9-Y.jpg
defjamvendetta2_040104_02_108081776.jpg
45. Timesplitters: Future Perfect and Def Jam: Fight for NY (30 Points, appeared on 2 ballots)

51BQETVJ5VL.jpg
20170_tony_hawks_underground_2-5.jpg
43. Simpson's Hit and Run and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (30 Points, appeared on 3 ballots)

eGh5NnhuMTI=_o_hitman-blood-money---un-g
270582-dt_explosion01.jpg
l4d_23.jpg
modern-warfare-2-resurgence-map-pack-str
41. Hitman: Blood Money, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (32 Points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Coming up next: More shooters! Plus our first wrestling game!

• Like 2

The only reason I didn't put Portal in was because I found it to be too short. Also missed out on THUG2 as I had kind of just been burned out on the franchise after THUG1.

Not one vote for Pyschonauts unfortunately :(

And continuing on:

CelJaded-Banjo-Tooie-6.jpg
52543-WWF_SmackDown!_2_-_Know_Your_Role_
37. Banjo-Tooie and WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role (34 Points, appeared on 2 ballots)

ogre_battle_64_battle_grid_3x3_teams_uni
35. Ogre Battle 64 (36 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

05diablo2lod.jpg
66760-Eternal_Darkness_-_Sanity's_Requie
34. Diablo 2 and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (38 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

72akopa-original.jpg
32. Warcraft 3 (40 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

halo-3-screenshot-05.jpg
31. Halo 3 (42 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

2156312394_dc2b1d447d.jpg
30. Perfect Dark (44 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Coming up next: RPGs everywhere!

oh yeah, Psychonauts. That should have been under consideration for me, but honestly I never beat it and in spite of the fact that I fucking cosplayed a character from it one time, it never occupied that level of obsession for me. I should go back and beat it before 2 comes out, though.

Sorry about the delay folks!

304876.71.jpg
d8af064a1363ac787d144b6af5ccbb31.jpg
29. City of Heroes and Pro Evolution Soccer 06 (46 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

kotor_2_10.jpg
27. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords (48 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

final_fantasy_ix_15.jpg
26. Final Fantasy IX (51 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

640full-fire-pro-wrestling-returns-scree
351272-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-play
25. Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and Persona 4 (54 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

guitarhero2_029-large.jpg
23. Guitar Hero 2 (60 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

masseffect204.jpg
22. Mass Effect (63 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

dragon-age-origins-return-to-ostagar_002
21. Dragon Age: Origins (66 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

01.jpg
20. Super Smash Bros. Melee (69 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

Coming up next: 19 - 11 so I can do a proper top 10.

Lets keep going!

wwe_smackdown_vs_raw_2007_35.jpg
19. WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2007 (75 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

3a348a7476135f572d99f129bda62103.png
ff06fd68d58e67c912f8ccc0db666594.jpg
18. EWR 4.2 and Final Fantasy X (78 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

mushroom-kingdom-super-mario-galaxy-640x
16. Super Mario Galaxy (81 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

screen520x924.jpeg
15. Grand Theft Auto III (84 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

the_elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_9.jpg
14. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (87 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

Rock_band_2_screen.jpg
13. Rock Band 2 (117 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

37750479_GTA4.jpg
12. Grand Theft Auto IV (200 points, appeared on 5 ballots)

NINTENDO64--WWF%20No%20Mercy_Dec10%2018_
11. WWF No Mercy 64 (264 points, appeared on 6 ballots)

Coming up next: The top ten countdown begins!

• Like 1

pokemon_gold_silver.jpeg?w=640
10. Pokemon Gold/Silver (270 points, appeared on 5 ballots)

hqdefault.jpg
9. Batman: Arkham Asylum (288 points, appeared on 6 ballots)

79914232001_l.jpg?cb=1402547063
12757_4aa588f1591ac.jpg
8. The Sims 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (295 points, appeared on 6 ballots)

civ4bts3.png
6. Civilization IV (406 points, appeared on 7 ballots)

Coming up next: Top 5 incoming!

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think No Mercy has aged well. It was a phenomenal game for the time, sure... but people still hold it up as how wrestling games should be and I'm like... why? The modern games are IMO better... hell Smackdown SYM was loads better... the biggest thing they really lack is an AI that has more I than a bag of rocks.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2017 at 17:25, GoGo Yubari said:

oh yeah, Psychonauts. That should have been under consideration for me, but honestly I never beat it and in spite of the fact that I fucking cosplayed a character from it one time

Pics.

14 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Honestly I don't think No Mercy has aged well. It was a phenomenal game for the time, sure... but people still hold it up as how wrestling games should be and I'm like... why? The modern games are IMO better... hell Smackdown SYM was loads better... the biggest thing they really lack is an AI that has more I than a bag of rocks.

Graphically I would agree, but the game engine was at its peak for No Mercy, after that it was in the Def Jam games that were great but a little OTT and then AKI worked on some Kinnikuman games, I've never played them so cant comment if they use the same engine although I'd assume they did since they would have been wrestling games but either way No Mercy was the peak of the games using the engine.

16 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

The game engine is what makes it so good. None of the Smackdown/WWE games have come close to finding the right engine. Even a simple thing like having the block and reverse as separate buttons makes it miles better than WWE games. 

It's a shame Midnight Club 3 didn't get further up the list. I still stand at my point that it's the most complete street racing game ever made, whether it's racing with cars, bikes, supercars or putting your Hummer H2 onto two wheels to squeeze between two opponents to pass them... It's crazy, it's fast paced, and it's ridiculously deep in all the ways you want for a street racing game.

Of course, I guess not being able to customize your sound system means NFSU2 is a better game >_>

Seriously though, MC3 is still playable to this day. The soundtrack is bloody great, too.

I think as a whole, the PS2 is arguably the best platform ever made. The 3D is often just good enough to hold up over time, and the game library is just stuffed with good to great games of all types of genres. Whether it's fighters, racers, JRPG's, shooters, or even sports titles. The only genre that's underrepresented are platformers which has been Nintendo's arena since the NES days.

I never boot up my old 360 or PS3 anymore, but I do sure as hell boot up PCSX2 to play old PS2 games, and if they don't work on emulator I just dust off the PS2 and hook it up instead. I'd probably try my hand at streaming PS2 games if I had a capture card, the console is the epitome of my teen years.

2 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

I think the closest might have been the engine for Day of Reckoning, Yukes basically took the AKI engine but gave it a bit of an arcade feel, good but not great.

Day of Reckoning, now that I can get behind. They improved the No Mercy engine vastly. The only issue I've ever had with it was the difficulty boiling down to the CPU character reversing more (which is emblematic of all WWE games, really, even No Mercy had this issue).

Still, Fire Pro is miles ahead in everything but graphics despite it's faults (which, hopefully, will all be fixed in FPWW)

And herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre we go!

150681-Metal_Gear_Solid_3_-_Snake_Eater_
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (468 points, appeared on 6 ballots)

Fallout3-2008-11-14-17-11-04-38.jpg
4. Fallout 3 (480 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

4.jpg
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (608 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

wwe_smackdown_here_comes_the_pain_image1
2. WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (666 points, appeared on 9 ballots)

Which means #1 is...

file_15761_grand_theft_auto_san_andreas_
1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (873 points, appeared on 9 ballots)

And that's a wrap! A big thank you to everyone who voted. This was a fun list to compile, although even before totaling all the numbers up I knew GTA:SA had it in the bag.

• Like 5