EWB's Top 50 Favourite Games of the 2000's - Results thread!

I think I was the only one without a GTA game on my list. I never really had any fun with any of them. I would play the latest one for a few hours after it came out and never have the urge to touch it again.

Decent list, for the few games on it I've played, though obviously way too skewed in favour of wrasslin' games, which is unsurprising given where we are.

Someone should do a best games pre-2000 list, so I can have more to contribute >_>

2. WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (666 points, appeared on 9 ballots)

Looks like Brock Lesnar is the Beast Incarnate for real....

Edited by OctoberRavenO
  • Like 3

San Andreas is the only 3D GTA game (if we're not counting the PSP ones) whose main story I never finished. Part of that was due to lost save files, but my biggest hurdle was the frustration of having to navigate the large sandbox during and before missions, especially when I failed a mission and had to repeat the process again and again. That was also a problem in GTA 3 and Vice City, but the smaller maps alleviated those problems at least a little bit.

I suppose I also found it a little clunky to play. I didn't find the shooting to be particularly well executed and didn't have a great amount of fun with the vehicles, which made some of the missions a slog. Having to grind your personal stats to gain access to certain missions was also a bad design choice.

I certainly wouldn't say I dislike the game, but it's my least favourite of the popular titles in the series. The story was better than those of its predecessors, and the main character had more of a back story, but I just found it less fun to play.

I never had more fun in any GTA game than just joyriding through the forest and small towns, listening to early '90s alternative music. I could do that for hours and hours in high school, there was at least one week where a friend and I would be on the phone, both just fucking around on our respective games of SA and talking about whatever.

I've also never actually finished the game, but I'm bad at finishing games a lot of the time. What I did do, though, was replay it from the start a month away from GTAV coming out, and what I found was that the game still played really well and the characters were as fresh and the radio stations were as enjoyable as I had remembered. Which isn't, conversely, a thing I felt about Vice City; there I still liked the credits and loved the music more than perhaps any other game, but the controls felt a bit like the ground was covered with ice.

Good stuff. Thanks to Darnez for making the list, was interesting to follow along with.

• Like 2

I should add that I played San Andreas on PC, as I did with the other GTA games of the era, and it wasn't considered to be a great port. By the time it came out on that platform, most people I knew had finished with their PS2 versions, a console I didn't own. I've seen the wacky things you can do, and so I can see why people love it, but I suppose it never clicked for me in the same way the others did. As I said, though, I do actually like the game, although it wasn't likely to make my list. The competition was stiff, as I'm sure everyone who took part would agree.