Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Mahrez was a no show at training again today (i.e. he hasn't shown up since Tuesday) and won't be considered to play Swansea at the weekend.

I'm not entirely sure what to think, on one hand he had no choice in his employment as it was being dictated by Leicester's insane asking price, on the other hand he is acting like a petulant child who didn't get what he wanted and is throwing a tantrum.

Entirely the latter, he is being a brat. I get that it's disappointing but City came in with a bid last minute and it didn't meet the valuation. At the end of the day, Mahrez never had to sign a new contract like he did and surely his agent could have forced an interested club's hand into making a bid earlier in the window. If he continues to drag this out now his stock will fall because he won't be playing and clubs won't want to sign a petulant liability.

I know it's something United have engaged in before definitely (and probably will again), but at some point some kind of punishment for the clubs who unsettle players like Mahrez, Payet etc needs to happen, as most of the time they don't get the player and all they do is cause a bit of chaos at the poor unfortunate club who had the gall to say no to them.

Also if City had come in for Mahrez a week ago with a £50 million + bid they'd have him at this point, and Leicester would've had the time to sign a replacement.

• Like 1

What have Man City actually done though in this case? I assuming they've come in late to Leicester and asked how much they want for Mahrez, they've been quoted a ludicrous figure, Mahrez's agent has got wind of their interest, informed his player and Mahrez has thrown a wobbler to try and force a move. That's on him, not Man City.

I mean, there's a running joke that Mahrez walks around with blank copies of transfer requests so he can put one in everytime a club shows a bit of interest.

At the same time what good does it do anyone by forcing him to stay? City offered a hell of a lot of money for him, arguably more than he's worth, and now Leicester are stuck with a player that doesn't want to play for them. Not only will that probably lead to lethargic performances from Mahrez but it also means his value will drop

5 minutes ago, MDK said:

Nearly half a billion spent by Pep and City and they name 6 subs.

And 3 of those aren't really first team players, they've made 5 appearances between them. It's pretty crazy that they only have 20 recognised players in their squad.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

And 3 of those aren't really first team players, they've made 5 appearances between them. It's pretty crazy that they only have 20 recognised players in their squad.

The youth team played last night but they must have someone to warm the bench. Pep, I'm available if you are reading this, I can still do a job!