Sky Bet EFL 2017/18

Lineker

7 hours ago, DMo Salah said:

Has there been a team to finish bottom of the Prem then the Championship the following season? Some achievement that.

Wolverhampton nearly did it from 2011 to 2013. Finished last in 2012 in the premier league, then second last in the championship in 2013.

Oh, and Cardiff back in 2nd! Final game of the season has everything to play for. Tense stuff. Cardiff play against 19th place Reading at home, while Fulham have 20th place Birmingham away.

5 minutes ago, Owen said:

Oh, and Cardiff back in 2nd! Final game of the season has everything to play for. Tense stuff. Cardiff play against 19th place Reading at home, while Fulham have 20th place Birmingham away.

Birmingham and Reading are both fighting for survival too. It's going to be one hell of a day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I fancy Fulham's chances in the play offs more than Cardiff's, of course they're still always a lottery.

It's one of them, I think Fulham and Cardiff are better than the other playoff contenders, however the team in 3rd doesn't always win the playoffs. It tends to be more the teams who finish 4th/5th. Whether that's a psychological thing of having just missed out on automatic promotion or not. 

I'd like Fulham to finish second then for Derby or Preston to win the playoffs. I can't be dealing with Tony Pulis or Neil Warnock back in the Prem. Plus Derby or Preston would be someone different 

1 hour ago, DMo Salah said:

It's one of them, I think Fulham and Cardiff are better than the other playoff contenders, however the team in 3rd doesn't always win the playoffs. It tends to be more the teams who finish 4th/5th. Whether that's a psychological thing of having just missed out on automatic promotion or not. 

I'd like Fulham to finish second then for Derby or Preston to win the playoffs. I can't be dealing with Tony Pulis or Neil Warnock back in the Prem. Plus Derby or Preston would be someone different 

The one thing we would have going for us, unlike in some other years, is that the team who finish 3rd have often gone on a bad run to fall out of contention, whilst 5th or 6th is often the form team. Naturally, depending on what happens with Birmingham, we are 3rd AND the form team. We might be let down by not getting promoted, but we would still potentially be 24 games unbeaten by that point, which is a pretty galling prospect for any team.

My bigger concern, and one that was borne out last year, is that we've played our best players week in, week out, in order to challenge. This happened last year, and we looked tired against Reading. I feel - though have no evidence to completely back it up - that the teams behind us have at least been making changes to their line-ups in order to keep things fresh.