Sky Bet EFL 2017/18

Lineker

1 hour ago, Liam said:

The one thing we would have going for us, unlike in some other years, is that the team who finish 3rd have often gone on a bad run to fall out of contention, whilst 5th or 6th is often the form team. Naturally, depending on what happens with Birmingham, we are 3rd AND the form team. We might be let down by not getting promoted, but we would still potentially be 24 games unbeaten by that point, which is a pretty galling prospect for any team.

My bigger concern, and one that was borne out last year, is that we've played our best players week in, week out, in order to challenge. This happened last year, and we looked tired against Reading. I feel - though have no evidence to completely back it up - that the teams behind us have at least been making changes to their line-ups in order to keep things fresh.

I mean, Derby have to play Barnsley and Preston have to play Burton so they're both important games for all four teams so I can't see there being many changes there. Villa can afford to rest people seen as though they can't finish any higher or lower than 4th. 

Keeping your best players week in week out though could prove beneficial, they'll have the minutes in their legs and be hitting form at the right time. And 23/24 unbeaten is a really good run of form to take into the playoffs. 

I'd like to see Fulham come back up, I've been impressed with some of the players whenever I've seen them and it'd be nice having a team like them back in the Prem. 

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

Not unless you get promoted.

Considering the season finished yesterday in non-league, Orient might have a tougher job on than Northampton to go up :lol:.

Also, Northampton don't need to beat Oldham by 17 goals, they need to overturn the 17 goal margin. Thus, a much easier 9-0 win will suffice :P.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Considering the season finished yesterday in non-league, Orient might have a tougher job on than Northampton to go up :lol:.

I reckon next season we will go up as winners. As long as the core squad stay, especially Bonne, and maybe a few additions (and making our home form much, much better) we might be the strongest team in League Three. The best thing Edinburgh did was making our goalkeeping coach the number one. No offence to the two young lads but you need an experienced player in goal at this level.

• Admin

The traditional matchday programme could disappear with the Football League voting on whether its production should continue to be compulsory.

It is a commercial obligation of all 72 Football League teams to have a printed programme for every home game. But declining sales and increased costs have become a burden for some clubs and at their June meeting they will vote on whether it should continue to be a requirement next season.

The EFL regulations state that each club must make available one half page of their programme for the benefit of the Football Foundation and one full page of advertising for “the benefit of the League to promote League initiatives”.

But the EFL is set to amend the wording to allow clubs to fulfil their advertising obligations on websites or social media instead. It is understood several clubs have been lobbying to abolish the mandatory match programme because they are no longer financially viable.

Carolyn Radford, chief executive of League Two Mansfield Town, told the Guardian she recognised the financial sense in abolishing the programme but insisted the Stags would continue to print regardless of the outcome of the vote. “We’d always have a programme because it’s a voice from the club to the fans and it’s something some people keep religiously,” she said.

“It’s part of the fabric of the club and an important piece of memorabilia, a collector’s item. I know we’re moving more online, but it’s different having something to hold.

“It costs us more to produce than it raises, so I can see commercially why some clubs would want to get rid and I think if it was no longer compulsory a lot of clubs, particularly in the lower leagues, would drop out. But it’s still an important part of football’s history.”

A statement from the EFL said: “A number of clubs have asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a match programme can be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost‑effective manner.”

• Sad 1

It's a good move, if it happens. Most clubs I bet make a loss on the programme, they're overpriced for what they are. The days where you could only find out the goings on at your club through the programme are long gone. Might mean a boost for the fanzine business too.

• Like 1

Well, looks like playoffs are beyond us, but bottom on January 1st to 7th by the end of the season is a fantastic turnaround - and Argyle kept faith with Derek Adams when other clubs would've sacked him. An exciting season at all levels for the club - the youth team got to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup, knocking out Man City and Burnley on their run.