Sky Bet EFL 2017/18

Lineker

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Awful news, Ikeme played for Rovers in two loan spells a few years ago. Makes you wonder how much longer it might take to have been diagnosed if not for the modernisation of football medical testing, which picked this up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

The Sunderland midfielder Darron Gibson has claimed his team are “fucking shit” and has accused a number of his team‑mates of lacking commitment to the club.

Gibson was filmed on Saturday evening, after Sunderland’s 5-0 friendly defeat at home against Celtic, in conversation with a group of supporters. Seemingly speaking under the influence of alcohol, he invited the fans to name players whose effort was lacking and contrasted their attitudes with his own.

“We’re fucking shit,” he said, before being asked whether that bothered him. “Of course I am [bothered]. I don’t want to be shit. There are too many people are the club who don’t give a fuck.”

Asked to whom he was referring, he replied: “You tell me”, and appeared to suggest that Lamine Koné, Jeremain Lens and Wahbi Khazri were among those not pulling their weight for Sunderland, who were relegated to the Championship last season after finishing bottom of the Premier League.

Gibson responded, “Right, there’s one,” when the name of Koné was put to him; when Lens and Khazri were mentioned he responded “Next one” on both occasions.

When it was put to Gibson that drinking after a heavy defeat did not necessarily present the most committed picture, he said: “Right, I might be off my face in here but I still want to play for Sunderland. The rest of them fucking don’t though, the rest of them don’t.”

Gibson made 12 Premier League appearances in 2016-17 and, like the other players mentioned, may find that his long-term future lies elsewhere as their recently appointed manager, Simon Grayson, remodels his squad. Sunderland did not comment on the video although Grayson is expected to address Gibson’s remarks this week, before Friday’s Championship opener against Derby County.

The ABBA penalty shoot-out format is being brought in for all EFL competitions for this season. Not sure I agree with it, but either way it's nice of Shaun Harvey to spring it on us all a few days before the start of the season. Cretin.

51 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Derby win tonight. Think Sunderland will struggle to go back up this season. 

Sunderland will win because I put Derby in my acca.

There is now a dedicated thread for the travails of Orient and their contemporaries, such as Bromley, Maidenhead and today's opponents Sutton.

Since we're here, the day has arrived and I have some time to kill before setting off for our game against Gillingham, I'll stick my predictions for the season in here for the amusement of whoever, and for myself to laugh at come the end of the year.

CHAMPIONSHIP

- Fulham to win the title
- Middlesbrough, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday to compete for top 2
- Hull, Leeds and Norwich try to fend off unlikely Play-Off challengers Brentford and Preston
- Aston Villa get nowhere near promotion, nor do Sunderland or Wolves
- Millwall, Bolton and Burton to go down with Birmingham and QPR barely scraping survival again

LEAGUE ONE

- Blackburn coast to the title
- MK Dons go up in 2nd behind them, just ahead of Wigan and Oxford
- Charlton and Portsmouth round out the Play-Offs, I somewhat fancy Pompey to sneak a second straight promotion at Wembley
- Rovers to finish around 10th, solidly mid-table but not on for a serious Play-Off push at any stage
- Gillingham, Oldham, Shrewsbury and Walsall all to get relegated

LEAGUE TWO

- Luton to win the league
- Swindon straight back up behind them, along with...Colchester
- Exeter, Stevenage, Port Vale and Cambridge for the Play-Offs
- Crawley and Morecambe to drop out of the league

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

Bah, such non league gash. :/

League Three, you mean? 

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

There isn't one - Orient are playing on BT at half 12, but they don't belong in this thread any more.

Try and keep us out

• Like 1