Carabao Cup 2017/18

Lineker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41342603

Carabao Cup: Jose Mourinho says clubs would be fresher without competition

English clubs in Europe could benefit by not playing in the Carabao Cup, says Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho.

The Portuguese manager made nine changes but still fielded a strong side as the holders beat Championship side Burton 4-1 on Wednesday night.

Mourinho told BBC Radio 5 live: "If you ask me 'could English football survive or be even be better without this competition?' Maybe.

"Maybe we would be fresher for European competition."

United beat Southampton to win the League Cup last season for the fifth time - Mourinho's fourth success - and the former Chelsea boss wants to win it again this season.

Maybe if English teams were better in Europe they would do better in Europe.

Surely as the League Cup mainly runs from September to January (plus the Final), it should only really affect performance in the CL group stage (if it affects performance at all, which is questionable). And how often do Manchester United/etc. fail to get out of the group stage? Srsly.

But with the amount of changes he normally makes surely you can argue it's helping players who don't normally play within the League or in Europe get match fit for later on in the season?

It's not like the top 6 teams are lacking good players in terms of depth. 

After the first round last season (where we had Northampton away) he practically went full strength from that point onwards. We were drawn against City so he obviously didn't want to lose that, but he brought the big guns out in the quarters against West Ham, then Hull in the semi's, and obviously the final. 

But like I said before the game last night, I think it'll be a case of "see where we get with the 2nd string and go for it if we make the quarters". We were actually a lot stronger than I was expecting last night.

• 1 month later...