UEFA Europa League 2017/18

Lineker

20 minutes ago, Adam said:

Everton are going to get relegated at this rate. What a fucking shambles.

Ashley Williams should never wear the shirt again, he is diabolical. What has happened? How did he become past it overnight? Awful. It's alright sticking the kids in but when they do come in they show up the senior players by being better than them, even when they make mistakes. Rooney is flattering to deceive but then again most of them are. The summer recruitment was a total mess, now the managerial search is too. Sack Steve Walsh, implement a different hierarchy starting with a competent manager and get on with it. The aim this season was to try and break into the Big Six, not scrape survival...even that I'm not convinced will happen at this stage.

I feel sorry for Unsworth because it's not his fault, but what a joke this whole thing has become. Ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous.

The problem I feel that Everton may have in hiring a manager is changes to the backroom staff. There seems to be the feeling of "they need to understand the fabric of the club" and that is going to be a hurdle. Unfortunately the club is in a position of it's nearly Christmas, you've got Unsworth in charge who has no real managerial experience (yes he's done really well at U23 level but there's a difference of managing the main squad of a Prem team and managing a reserve/youth team) and I feel for him in that respect but at the same time he's out of his depth.  Even if they can't hire a new manager right away, they need someone else to take charge. 

Everton's transfer policy was bizarre. You lost your main source of goals who was always going to be difficult to replace however you brought in a youngster who had 1 good season at Malaga and Wayne Rooney who's past it. Most of the signings were attacking midfielders. Keane hasn't exactly settled in and Pickford is doing alright but it doesn't help when he's got the defence he has in front of him.

From speaking to Evertonian's I work with and are friends with, the atmosphere is pretty toxic at the ground and that doesn't help. 

You're spot on though. The youngsters can only do so much and you need to look at the senior players to help guide them through games and  it looks like they just can't be arsed. 

3 points above the relegation zone, with the joint 2nd worst defence in the league and coming into a busy winter period...something needs to change. 

• Like 1

Agree with all of that. It needs a big sea change and it's definitely not just going to be with the manager. That's one of the reasons I think Walsh should leave. The managerial search itself has been embarrassing. Openly coveted Allardyce and failed, now Silva too. Laughably tried to say they wanted Someone, even Rangnick has been mentioned the last couple of days. Total mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal are 6-0 up against Borisov, 6 different scorers, one own goal (cracking finish too), Giroud had to score his penalty twice, El Neny scores his 2nd ever goal for Arsenal and Wilshere gets his first goal in more than 2 years!

11 hours ago, Christmas Creature said:

Arsenal are 6-0 up against Borisov, 6 different scorers, one own goal (cracking finish too), Giroud had to score his penalty twice, El Neny scores his 2nd ever goal for Arsenal and Wilshere gets his first goal in more than 2 years!

I'm hoping for an Arsenal vs Celtic Kaneybowl final now.

But who will you support? Or do you just hope it goes to penalties? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So we play some minnows from Sweden away from home, win 3-0 but still somehow find a way to look completely shit and almost concede at the end in the process. Still, we should go through but we have to step up our game against the better sides left in the competition. (provided we win this tie of course....)

On that note, I’d play Ospina in goal against City in the cup final just in case it does go to penalties.

• Like 1

consider this: when Arsène Wenger formally took charge of the Gunners on 1 October 1996, Östersund were still 30 days away from formation. Though to be fair, since then, both clubs have lifted exactly the same number of European trophies, so it’s not a total mismatch.

@Kaney

• Like 6