WWE 2K18

Kyle

3 hours ago, Skummy said:

Sounds lovely, doubt it will deliver on any of those promises. I'm not getting on this particular hype train.

That's a nice and concise summary of my feelings after reading the article. The biggest problem I've had with recent WWE games is that they've added various bits and pieces, but the overall experience is lacking in soul. Even when they insert a promising concept, it's almost always executed clinically, and any time you feel that they've got a foundation on which to create a fantastic game mode, it's inevitable that it'll remain the same, warts and all, the following couple of years before petering out. I'd love a fun, varied WWE game with lasting appeal, but I'd be foolish to expect one.

One thing that does make me hopeful is the fact that they've now got two new announcers. With Graves and Saxton coming in alongside Cole, they won't be able to reuse the old commentary tracks with Cole/Lawler/JBL, so with that plus working alongside the people that do commentary for other 2K games, we might actually see an improvement in commentary. :shifty: 

1 hour ago, Avenged said:

When did they ever have 8? I don't remember that at all.

Pretty sure the Royal Rumble game on Dreamcast supported 8. Can't recall it in the Smackdown series though.

As usual, I'm not sold either. Particularly since the game comes out in 3 months and there's not a single screenshot, let alone a look at the gameplay. As @Bobfoc said, the series has always lacked soul... like, all the elements are there, it looks right, but it just never comes together right. 

• Like 1

From the technical demo we saw, which unfortunately featured the new lighting and post-processing effects paired with older character models from

2K17, the game does look noticeably improved over the last title.

Just reading that sentence I'm willing to bet that the game will ship with most of the undercard wrestlers having their 2K17 models with only the "important" wrestlers and people who weren't in last year like Jinder, Hawkins, Rhyno, etc. having newer models.  It'll look like shit if they have multiple tiers like that.  As it is you can see a huge difference in the characters they put a ton of effort into vs. the people they assume nobody uses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I've always said that they should make the commentary either decent or hilariously awful. None of this middle ground nonsense will do.

The only commentary that has ever left any lasting impression on me is SmackDown Just Bring It, which obviously falls on to the hilariously awful side of things.

If nothing else it taught me that SPIKE DUDLEY sure does have a devastating SUPLEX.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BuddyAwesome said:

The last time they had 8 men it was clunky and slow as hell. I wish they'd put more effort into Rumble entrances personally.

That was 16 years ago, though, to be fair. Just Bring It was the last game with 8 man matches, AFAIK. Technology's advanced a fair bit since then. Different companies are making the games and we're 2 generations on in terms of consoles. It shouldn't be clunky or slow because this is something that should've been implemented years ago anyway and I feel like they wouldn't bother implementing it if it still ran like crap.

The prospect of 8 man matches does have me intrigued. Been a long time coming and I know I'll be buying the game anyway. The fact that this game (again) has the largest roster of all time of 'around 200 superstars' has me excited too. Can't complain about new guys! Hopefully we get plenty of NXT guys again and maybe some WWE UK lads too? As unlikely as that may be, it'd be awesome to see them in a video game.

6 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

The only commentary that has ever left any lasting impression on me is SmackDown Just Bring It, which obviously falls on to the hilariously awful side of things.

If nothing else it taught me that SPIKE DUDLEY sure does have a devastating SUPLEX.

The two for me are Smackdown vs. RAW 2005, because my brother and one of his friends - considering even the game came out a few years after they'd both stopped watching wrestling, and they still do this now - repeat "Size, strength, agility, GARRISON CADE really is the total package." and WWF Attitude, for constantly repeating "Off the ropes. Coming off the ropes. Off the ropes".

• Like 6

Weirdly, those are the two things me and my mate remember from the games also. We'd just set two people running on Attitude and listen to Shane McMahon commentate on them running the ropes for literally an hour.

The third one being 'Booyah! Out like a light!'

• Like 1

"I dated a redhead once. She had no hair, just a red head!" was the worst commentary line. Silly King jokes that got a chuckle the first time you heard it but then got a little bit annoying when you still heard it ten times per match 5 games in the series later.

• Like 1

I can't remember what game it was, but my buddies and I still quote Jim Ross saying "He's dead!" whenever it seemed there was a high impact move. The last time we all hung out, someone mentioned Chris Benoit, only for someone to go "Chris Benoit? He's dead!" with that Jim Ross twang.

• Like 1