Which TV Show Fell Off the Hardest?

K

Started great, ended poorly.

Which TV show had the greatest change in quality from the beginning to the end?

Personally I felt Sliders season 1 and 2 was brilliant, and I have re watched them many times since then, but it falls down really hard in season three and never recovers. It's sad, because it's a brilliant concept, and the original characters were really likable, but bad decisions by the creators saw it hemorrhage leads until the last season was unrecognizable.

You can use this website to generate charts of IMDB ratings:

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/

Search a tv show, then click the hamburger icon in the top right to download a jpg.

Works best if you have the vertical axis go from 0-10 rather than autoscale.

chart.jpeg

Dexter. Dexter, Dexter, Dexter. Holy shit, Dexter.

It's Dexter. The answer is Dexter. Went from one of the top-tier Prestige TV shows at season 4 to an absolute critical laughingstock by the end of season 6. Its own fandom turned on it so hard that on the week of the penultimate episode of the show, they turned the Dexter subreddit into being about Breaking Bad (which had the awful timing from Dexter's perspective to be ending at the same time).

The drop from Arrow season 2 to Arrow season 3/4 was also pretty astonishing (and Arrow fandom stole the subreddit gag), but Arrow was never really anything more than a well-executed middlebrow show. Dexter was an actual phenomenon for a little bit.

• Like 12

I'd say Red Dwarf, personally. Can't say anything about Dexter because I've never seen it but god damn the last couple series of Red Dwarf were a completely different show from the start and its humour changed to a lot more slapstick, family-oriented stuff? Eh, it was bad.

EDIT: I'm referring to before they brought it back for Dave. Completely forgot about that.

• Like 1

Gotta agree with K, because Sliders is the show that came to mind immediately when I saw the thread's title. Dropped waaaaay down in quality when John Rhys-Davies and Sabrina Lloyd left. 

I'll also add that the `jumping the shark' term is wrong, because Happy Days didn't really go all that bad until Fonzie became a school teacher in a leather jacket.

Sons of Anarchy is a good shout too. I didn't even turn against it as early as I think a lot of people did, but that last season was pretty dire and season 5 wasn't too good either. At least the show ended kind of the way it should have.

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt1520211

The Walking Dead's graph is interesting. It never really gets as low as I think it should >_>, but it goes from high to low to high to staying nearly the same for two seasons, then a 2 season long decline.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alex. said:

Weeds. Enjoyed first 2 or 3 seasons I forget but whenever they move..the show takes a huge nosedive. 

Oh, yeah, this is a good one. The first two seasons were excellent, season 3 was a significant but not irreparable drop, and then I didn't make it past like two or three episodes of season 4.

the problem with The Walking Dead is I don't think the quality really dropped so much as it's just a show that wears you down over time. Every season of that show had its good moments and it's painfully dreary moments, I bet the stuff after I tapped out is the same.

• Like 2

Oh god, Weeds. How could I forget about that one? 

I guess House of Cards would qualify. I had some fun even through Season 4 but I haven't even gotten around to watching any of Season 5 and honestly don't really have that much of an inkling. I think it may have overstayed it's welcome, even for me.

54 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Heros. First season was amazing, second was good, and the third was absolute trash and I gave up about half way through it.

The problem was that the show became all about Sylar, when Hiro and Noah (HRG) were clearly more popular. They really should have had him becoming good stick, or killed him off. I gave up after the first half of season three, watched a couple of random episodes from season four, then never looked back. And during seasons one and two, it was my favorite show.

Edited by GhostMachine
left out a word in the second sentence

16 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The problem was that the show became all about Sylar, when Hiro and Noah (HRG) were clearly more popular. They really should have had him becoming good stick, or killed him off. I gave up after the first half of season three, watched a couple of random episodes from season four, then never looked back. And during seasons one and two, it was my favorite show.

Heroes definitely gets my vote.

During Season One I was obsessed. The writer's strike in 2007 was the cause of the downfall. Also, the characters got too popular to kill off, like they initially planned.