Which TV Show Fell Off the Hardest?

K

12 hours ago, Benji said:

Community fell off after Dan Harmon left the first time and never really found its footing again, despite minor improvements.

Hmm, this one I disagree with.  If anything, I think its more an example of a show bouncing back after a lackluster season.

chEz7Un.png

And I think the chart reflects that pretty well.  In fact, when you trend the whole series instead of season-by-season, the line is practically straight.

z0pFrii.jpg

I mean, obviously its an opinion so I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying my opinion is backed up by the silly website. :P

• Like 2

I could have lived without the British stuff on Arrested Development, but I really, really liked the latest season on Netflix so I guess not that show. Anymore.

Wayward Pines went from a show I really enjoyed to one I didn't even bother finishing last year, though given that I didn't finish it maybe it's not fair to say that it was bad either...

chart.jpeg

It was about charming, folksy kids that grow up to be just regular people, so I guess the slope was sort of baked into the design. I was still surprised to see it in actual dot form though, even though just be typing it in I had to be expecting it on some level...

16 hours ago, Benjamin said:

It was the only good episode in the second half of the season, which was basically just broody, dark bullshit that made zero sense most of the time because they were trying way too hard to go into stupid dark mode. The whole appeal of The Flash at the beginning was it's colorful cast of characters and it's campiness, not the bullshit "we are all sad" and the fucking millions upon millions upon millions of times that a character utters the words "I'll talk him / her / them". 

The Duet was so fresh and vibrant and fun in comparison, even the parts that didn't take place in the musical aspect of the episode was blasting with excitement, humor and camp.

The word camp immediately makes me glad I skipped. That word perfectly describes the Batman TV show and I fucking hate the Batman TV show.

4 minutes ago, =BK= said:

The word camp immediately makes me glad I skipped. That word perfectly describes the Batman TV show and I fucking hate the Batman TV show.

Then we probably have very different things we like in TV shows man, because the 60's Batman TV is legitimately one of the best things to be produced regarding Batman.

1 hour ago, LittleDaniel said:

Hmm, this one I disagree with.  If anything, I think its more an example of a show bouncing back after a lackluster season.

chEz7Un.png

And I think the chart reflects that pretty well.  In fact, when you trend the whole series instead of season-by-season, the line is practically straight.

z0pFrii.jpg

I mean, obviously its an opinion so I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying my opinion is backed up by the silly website. :P

Yes! Community season 4 was shit, but after that it improved tremendously!

Also, speaking Frasier, Friends has to be in this as well. After season 7, the dip in quality is almost jarring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Baddar said:

True Blood always comes to mind when this kind of topic comes up - it was so good for quite a number of seasons, but by the end I was glad it finished. 

I sort of agree with this. The quality didn't dip all that much until the final season, and I hated the ending. 

On 21/06/2017 at 13:06, Benji said:

Spoilers ahoy, but I assume this thread will be rife anyway, so I'll bold the show before I go into spoilers.

Dexter. Not even a competition. Other unmissable shows fell off to the point that they were bad, Dexter fell off to the point it was pretty much unwatchable. It was the show that inspired me to start dropping shows I'm no longer enjoying. Up until the end of that, I would see every show I watched out to the end, but I refused to get there again and be lumberjacked.

I maintain that The Trinity Killer story is one of my absolute favourite TV arcs ever, probably only second to the character arc of one character in Avatar: The Last Airbender, but the majority of the final three seasons (and to some people all four of the final seasons) of Dexter were the worst TV I have ever watched, with that final episode taking the cake as the worst and most unsatisfying finale also.

Removing Dexter from the cut:

Scrubs gets frustratingly bad around the time Kim gets introduced, which is no comment on Elizabeth Banks because I adore her in everything else. It was the writing overall (but especially her character) that made it bad. It managed to find its funk again before the end though. I also maintain that Julie was JD's best girlfriend and was gutted that she didn't even make the finale.

How I Met Your Mother was eternally held back from "the worst" by Marshall (and to a lesser degree Robyn and Barney's relationship), but damn if Moseby and Lily didn't try their damndest to make it the worst.

Big Bang Theory was never the greatest show (I know, some folks around here hate it, full stop, I don't care), but them almost all winding up in relationships killed the show for me. They're no longer charming, more good looking than real life, but socially stupid nerds, they're just dumb sitcom husbands with the cliche whining wives (both tropes I find utterly insulting) who all make comic book references once in a while.

Community fell off after Dan Harmon left the first time and never really found its footing again, despite minor improvements.

Supernatural's "Leviathan" season was horrendous. The show has gone up and down and back several times over the years, but that was by far the lowest point.

Some of these are among my favourite ever shows so thought I'd go with Benji's post to make my points on the topic.

The answer is definitely Dexter, when I saw the thread title it immediately sprung to mind - lumberjack beard and all - and it is the show that made me realise I don't need to stick with something to the end if it is no longer worth watching. Cos I stuck with this one and kept getting slapped in the face for it. The entire 'Deb loves Dexter' thing was horrendous, stupid, asinine. The way the show fell to bits after Dexter got 'outed' was astounding. There were about 2 good episodes after that, and Season 6 itself wasn't great to begin with. I echo the love for the Trinity Killer storyline, as that is my favourite stand-alone season of television ever, bar none. I say that having recenty rewatched Breaking Bad's fourth season as well, I still don't think it quite hits it. John Lithgow was incredible and the finale is such a horrible gut-punch. Superb storytelling.

Since Dexter I have given up mid-watch on Homeland, The Mentalist and Sons of Anarchy. Looks like I got out of SOA at the right time (early season 5) but it just totally lost me by that point and from what I've heard everything that happens after that is even worse and just stuff that I would hate so much. I don't think it ever recovered from the boring Ireland storyline, or from blowing the downfall of Clay earlier than they needed to. The Mentalist was one of my favourite shows as well, as far as fairly light police procedurals go, but after ending the Red John storyline abruptly and deciding they could carry on without that gambit when they really couldn't, I just had to give up. It was terrible.

Supernatural is one of my favourite shows and has had so many seasons now that it was bound to go up and down a few times. What the hell is that Leviathan season? Bobby killed of because reasons (later to be copied with Charlie's death which was even more redundant and unnecessary) and a truly uncompelling shite villain storyline that dominated every episode of the season yet ended so abruptly and pointlessly. They pulled it back with the Benny / Purgatory stuff for me but it never got really good again until Lucifer returned. The way Misha Collins plays Castiel as Lucifer in Season 11 is among my favourite acting turns ever and whilst I've not seen Season 12 yet, I do think that show has more good seasons than bad by a long way.

Scrubs for me never got as bad as some people made out. The curtailed SAG strike season was pretty lame but you could give them a bit of a pass, and it recovered with reinvention really, really well in Season 8 I reckon. Introduced some good new characters and if that 'Scrubs Med/Season 9' shambles had never happened it would have been fine. The finale is right up there for me as well, a very nice way to end the show. Man do I miss Molly Clock. Community as well never dropped off anywhere near as much for me as everyone seems to make out, it was still funny without Dan Harmon. Big Bang Theory is an easy watch but yes, totally agree with you Benji that the show lost its own purpose somewhere around season 5 and it is now a dot-to-dot insult to our intelligence, and the characters that they tried to build up. Sheldon is a total parody of himself and everyone's wife/girlfriend is a sitcom trope that does my head in. It is easy to stick on in the background but not a show worthy of adulation by any stretch.

Oh, and HIMYM was always awful surely? They got out of the first season, seemed surprised to have done so and then screwed every conceivable storyline and character up beyond repair and then soldiered on anyway, never making it any better. And that ending has to go down as the worst in sitcom history.

So yeah, the TL;DR version is: Dexter. All the way.

• Like 1

Not a show that's fallen off, or even a show I dislike. I just like data and graphs and shit. The one for The Graham Norton show is really bizarre.  But worth noting that the less people who vote, the more unpredictable the results are. Like, the most popular episode had 100 votes, the least popular had just 17 - though it also had Miranda Hart on it to be fair.  

chart.png

6 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Not a show that's fallen off, or even a show I dislike. I just like data and graphs and shit. The one for The Graham Norton show is really bizarre.  But worth noting that the less people who vote, the more unpredictable the results are. Like, the most popular episode had 100 votes, the least popular had just 17 - though it also had Miranda Hart on it to be fair.  

chart.png

This is wicked and makes me want to look up rando daytime tv shows, but most of them don't work :'(

chart (1).jpeg

On 6/21/2017 at 03:18, Rocky said:

Prison Break. Burn Notice.

Both of these are a yes from me.

Prison Notice series 1 was intense, uneasy and excellent. Series 2 was a cool variation because of the on-the-run angle.....and then it went downhill.

I LURRRRRVE Burn Notice series 1 and 2. Really loved how it was fresh because of the setting, concept and how Michael would voiceover to give you that insider information about what he was doing and why. Also Bruce Campbell is gold. Series 3 was decent enough but the usual multi-season problems kicked in - the "overarching story" took more centre stage and the cast started to balloon out a bit too much. After series 3 it went wrong quickly.

My oldschool pick is 'Allo 'Allo. While later series start to struggle badly from cast changes (for various reasons) and over-reliance on catchphrases and repeated jokes, the first two series in particular and also third series mostly, were excellent. Very very funny, quite riske and smart.

On 6/22/2017 at 03:01, Alex. said:

House of Cards. Its gotten to the point I regret watching it after Season 2.

Hate to say it, but starting to think this is the same for me. I binged season 1 and loved it. 2 was good, 3 has been a slog. Getting near 4, we'll see. I'll keep going because I really like Doug Stamper.

Agreed totally with Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead. I did finish SOA because I enjoyed it so much in the beginning, but it just got fucking absurd after awhile. At the least, I knew there was an end game. Walking Dead on the other hand? I stopped awhile ago, sometime around one of Hershels daughters was kidnapped. In fact, losing Hershel is where I gave up, mostly because that's around the time it just got tedious. Does Ricks gang still get split up and constantly have search parties for missing members? That got so old. Its just sucky watching this group of sweaty dirty people find civilization for a bit, then go to war, then look for lost members, then get captured. Same stuff. 

Can't argue other choices here. True Blood lost me, as did Dexter.