Twin Peaks

tristy

I remember him talking about that on a podcast once and he apparently avoided getting sued for using it because he had to replay it and got it slightly wrong. :shifty:

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 01:20, Joshu Picchu said:

Agreed.

Stray observation: I love that this week's bar performer's dress matched the floor of the Black Lodge.

Not only that, but it's the same singer who performed "Crying" in Club Silencio in Mulholland Drive. Probably nothing, but it feels like the first time the performer may have been somehow significant.

Log Lady gets me all teary-eyed. I'm glad she could do this series, but it's heartbreaking.

COMPLETELY SILENT DRAPE RUNNERS.

I was hoping Richard Horne wasn't going to be Audrey's son, but it certainly looks that way, doesn't it? Some seriously unpleasant potential implications there.

I'm beginning to think that Dougie might not truly become Dale Cooper until the very end of the series, when Bad Coop gets destroyed. We've already gone more than half the series without "real" Dale Cooper. It depends on whether or not they're fishing for another series after this - I know Mark Frost has another book along the lines of the Secret History due out after the series ends.

Do we think that Dr. Jacoby stuff is actually going anywhere, or is it just a means of catching up with the assorted weirdoes of Twin Peaks? I assume the latter, but can't help thinking that there's something else to it, even if it's something insignificant.

She's been such a minor part of the series so far, but Becky is going to end up being significant. A pretty young blonde girl, caught up in a bad scene, in a David Lynch project, let alone in Twin Peaks? Things aren't going to end well for her, or for anybody else as a result. She's the new Laura Palmer, we just haven't got there yet.

I definitely think Lucy caught Chad fiddling with the letters - not only that, but I think that suggested a greater degree of intelligence and cunning in Lucy than we'd expected. I'm not saying that the whole "ditzy airhead" persona is an act, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that she's been overdoing it in order to lull Chad, and any other potential bad apples in the Sherriff's Department, into a false sense of security and make them more likely to screw up in front of her, who can then report it to a Sherriff Truman.

I think they'll drop the "Becky is the new Laura" thing in the finale. If it's picked up for a 4th season (or, rather, if Lynch wants to continue it), it's an easy start for S4. If not - then it just serves as a "it's happening, again, and will always happen" sort of thing.

Also, if you look at some stills from the teaser trailers, there's shots of Cooper where he's clearly not acting like Dougie, so I think it probably happens very soon.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skummy said:

I definitely think Lucy caught Chad fiddling with the letters - not only that, but I think that suggested a greater degree of intelligence and cunning in Lucy than we'd expected. I'm not saying that the whole "ditzy airhead" persona is an act, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that she's been overdoing it in order to lull Chad, and any other potential bad apples in the Sherriff's Department, into a false sense of security and make them more likely to screw up in front of her, who can then report it to a Sherriff Truman.

I think this was the point of the scene with Andy and the two chairs in the previous episode. She knew what colour she wanted beforehand, but played Andy like a violin just because she could.

Do we think that Dr. Jacoby stuff is actually going anywhere, or is it just a means of catching up with the assorted weirdoes of Twin Peaks? I assume the latter, but can't help thinking that there's something else to it, even if it's something insignificant.

Yes, but only in a 'Jacoby and Nadine shack up' way. Nothing that affects the wider story.

20 minutes ago, GA! said:

Yes, but only in a 'Jacoby and Nadine shack up' way. Nothing that affects the wider story.

Dougie and Janey-E go to Twin Peaks to escape the Mitchum brothers and Dougie ends up getting hit in the head with one of Jacobi's golden shovels by Nadine. For reasons.

That's how Cooper comes back. :shifty:

Also in Googling the correct spelling of Naomi Watt's character I was met with a headline from The Daily Mail about a raunchy Naomi Watts sex scene in Twin Peaks. Because of course they'd do that.

This week spent 30 mins filling me with dread and then suddenly there was a very happy Jim Belushi.

The Mitchum Brothers are so great. Dougie is great. Everything that isn't in Las Vegas is currently terrifying.

10 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we are stuck with Dougie Jones and never really get good Coop back and frankly I am okay with that.

I was saying that last week - it's been over half the series without him now, so if he does become Dale Cooper again, it will likely only be for one or two episodes anyway, and then it doesn't really feel worth it. I think part of it will depend on if there's going to be a Season Four or not - a cliffhanger ending of Dougie becoming Coop could be how this all ends.

I thought, as I assume just about everybody did, that there would be some trigger that would turn Dougie into Cooper - black coffee, cherry pie, some moment of revelation - but now I think there are three options: Dougie going to Twin Peaks, though I can't see how that could come about at this point, the Black Lodge opening when either the FBI or the Twin Peaks Sherriff's Department investigate it (assuming that the coordinates on the body are for the same location that Hawk and Bobby are going to) or, most likely, when Bad Coop is killed. The only issue with that last one is that I think only Good Coop will be able to kill Bad Coop - though we've seen with Ike The Spike that, even as Dougie, he's capable of holding his own in a fight. Though I suppose there's an outside chance it could be something involving Audrey.

Part of me doesn't want Dougie to become Dale Cooper - if he does, you have to assume he's leaving Las Vegas. And then what happens to poor Janey and Sonny Jim?!

Also, on the Dougie front, I've seen it posited elsewhere that we're seeing him grow to maturity in a truncated fashion - when we first met Cooper-as-Dougie, he was incapable of looking after himself, to the point that he literally had to be potty-trained. He became more curious and playful, mirroring childhood, before moving into adolescence, where he's given homework and, later, discovers sex, before this week reaching adulthood, through achievement and respect of his "peers". So we're not waiting for a trigger to turn Dougie into Dale, we're actually seeing him "grow up" before our eyes. I don't buy it, but it's an interesting theory.

Other assorted thoughts;

Outside of Dougie's story, this was a tense episode. Absolutely everything going on felt, much as the last episode did, like all these loose threads are finally starting to come together, and draw the stories inexorably together, and back to Twin Peaks, but this episode just felt so full of dread. I find it heartbreaking every time the Log Lady shows up, but this episode was maybe her most intense appearance yet - her warning seemed genuinely terrifying. It's all going to kick off.

Beyond the obvious Black Lodge stuff, Becky is the character I think we need to be paying more attention to. I said when she first showed up that she's a young, blonde girl in trouble, in a David Lynch project, let alone in Twin Peaks, so things aren't going to end well for her. She's going to be this season's Laura Palmer, and this is her Fire Walk With Me - the only reason I'd doubt that is that she doesn't really have the "fall from grace" that Laura had.

Years ago, David Lynch said in an interview that Twin Peaks never stopped, he just stopped filming it, everyone's lives carried on. And it really felt like it in this episode; we haven't had the 25 years of character development hammered home to us, it's just revealed through conversations between characters, so we only now find out that Bobby is Becky's father. But Shelly's smitten with another bad boy, so while Bobby might have learned his lesson and straightened out, Shelly's still repeating the same old mistakes, and so is her daughter. Disappointed we didn't get any of Bobby's classic over-emoting in this scene, though.

Is anything going on with the - seemingly very young - vomiting passenger, almost zombie-like, outside the diner, or was it just a bit of Lynchian weirdness for weirdness' sake? I'm reluctant to write off anything in this series as not significant, but I was wracking my brains on this one, wondering if it was someone reacting to the Black Lodge - but it's not Garmonbozia they were throwing up, so I'd write that one out. This morning, I remembered way back in one of the first episodes, there was a conversation around dangerous drugs in Twin Peaks' schools - and given that Lynch's storytelling isn't generally as simple as "B follows A" and tends to rely a lot more on free association, I'm going to say that because we've just had a conversation about Becky's boyfriend, and caught a glimpse of a criminal he's involved with, the vomiting kid is connected to that arc.

Another theory going around is that Red - Shelly's boyfriend - is the adult version of Pierre/The Grandson, based on the coin tricks. A lot of this is predicated on the assumption that Red has a supernatural hold on Shelly, which would be explained if he were a Black Lodge spirit, but I don't think there's anything more going on there than Shelly having a terrible track record when it comes to men, and still being a smitten schoolgirl at heart.

Yeah, this episode opened with so much foreboding I was honestly considering pausing it and taking a break for a few minutes. 

There is a real sense that we're closing in on Twin Peaks now. We know that Hawk and Sherrif Truman will have to go to the mountains as per Major Briggs' coordinates. It seems really certain that Albert, Gordon, Tammy and Diane will also be headed that direction now they have the numbers from Ruth's body. Albert even mentions they point to the Pacific Northwest before he gets interrupted.

I suspect on their way to Twin Peaks, they'll divert to Vegas because Dale Cooper's prints have been identified from the mug. I was thinking that Audrey would be important to whatever process it is that will bring Cooper back but now I'm starting to think Diane will play a big part in that.

I'm kinda on the fence about Dougie. I want Cooper back but Dougie is adorable. At least this version is. The version we met at the start didn't seem to be so great. Also, Janey-E is amazing and once we're done with Vegas we're done with her. Although I really feel like the story in Vegas is nearly over.

The whole scene outside the RR seemed like it was mirroring Bobby's current family situation. I don't think there's a coincidence that Bobby spent so much time looking at the kid and then at the kid's dad. Or that we got to see this other sick child that's becoming Bobby's problem by being inflicted on him in that moment. There must be more going on with that child than though. Kinda has to be.

Finding out Becky's Bobby's daughter is a pretty big thing given how vital her grandfather is to everything going on.

Y'know who else is great? Carl. Carl was a fun character in Fire Walk With Me but this older, gentler, mellowed out version of Carl is the best.

Carl is absolutely brilliant. Harry Dean Stanton is just wonderful.

Some stuff from the Secret History book is relevant to him too;

Spoiler

It's not just directorial conceit that has moved Carl closer to Twin Peaks since Fire Walk With Me; the Secret History establishes that he was born and went to school there, and was at high school with Maggie Coulson - the maiden name of Margaret Lanterman, the future Log Lady.

Carl, Maggie and a third - Alan Traherne - went missing in the woods surrounding Twin Peaks as children, and when discovered, they had markings on the back of their legs. We already know about The Log Lady's from Season 2, but not Carl, or (as far as I know), whover Alan Traherne is. So Carl has a connection to the Log Lady, and potentially to Ghostwood and the spirit world. That would explain a lot about him, including why he was the only one to witness the "aura" ascend from the boy Richard Horne killed, and why he was seemingly not shaken by it.

Worth mentioning, as well, that the Log Lady's terrified (and terrifying) warning that there was "Fire" where Hawk is going isn't exactly unfounded, or without precedent - she warned Laura Palmer that "the kind of fire" she was involved with was hard to put out, and she has more reason than most to be wary of fire. Not to mention that the Log Lady's husband was a woodsman...

I mentioned it earlier, but I think one of my favourite things about Twin Peaks is that, when trying to make sense of it all, it's not always much use looking at things in a linear fashion. It invites free association, and a more abstract approach to storytelling, that starts to make sense the more you piece together - it owes a lot to the forms of meditation David Lynch practices, which plays into my interpretation of this series as Lynch's Grand Unifying Thread.

This has nothing to do with the show, really, but I just got the Funko "Black Lodge Cooper & Laura" set on eBay. I've been trying over a week to get that for under $50/$60 so I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

I'm desperately willing myself not to start collecting Funkos, as I know that if I start properly then I'll end up spending a fortune on the damn things, there's just so many. But the two I currently own are Labyrinth David Bowie and The Log Lady.

I bought this the last time I was in London, though;

twin-peaks-action-figure-4-pack-box.jpg

I really like the Wrapped in Plastic Laura Funko they have, I might get that next and the BOB one. Black Lodge Laura is my favorite though, she's doing the Meanwhile hand gesture, I love it.

• Like 1