The 2017/2018 NHL Thread

Ruki

29 minutes ago, damshow said:

I don't know too much about fantasy scoring in hockey anymore but I can guess that if Auston Matthews were to go number 1 then Laine would be the best bet at 2, he should blossom into a goal-scoring machine.

Matthews is almost 100% going #1. If the guy takes Laine, then I'll take Matthews, and vice versa. Thanks.

Got Patrik Laine, Michael Matheson, and Denis Malgin in the rookie draft.

Craig Smith and Adam McQuaid in the free agent draft which is meh. The previous owner kind of shat the bed the last couple years though so this is going to be a couple year process to get it back in track anyway.

I can post my lines later if anyone gives a hoot.

Not a bad get though Laine is the only one who's really going to do anything for you in the short term.

I kind of want to get Franchise Hockey Manager 4 this year. It looks to have improved quite a bit but I'm not sure if it's worth it for the amount I play the games.

@Forever Forky @Gabriel @Ruki

Would you rather have Josh Manson or Tyler Myers?

This game takes into account defense, so Points isn't the only bar of which to judge.

I have Manson. A guy in the league has Myers and is trying to get cut salary. I have like $20 million in cap space and Manson is signed for $4 for the next four or five years (signed an extension in September I think?) So I declined it for the time being. I think Myers will do well in Winnipeg, but I'm quite content with Hanson.

It is. Myers is getting paid $5.5 million this year and I think is a free agent after the season. Manson is $4 (or $4.4 I can't remember) for the next few years. I thought I made the right decision, but my hockey knowledge paaaaaaales to what I know/think I know in my baseball league.

Yeah I'm with Gabriel. I'd definitely keep Manson. As you mentioned, he's locked up for awhile and will give you more over the next few years whereas Myers future is a bit less certain. 

Of course saying this, he'll end up on a team and be a break out star but who worries that far ahead? :shifty: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

It is. Myers is getting paid $5.5 million this year and I think is a free agent after the season. Manson is $4 (or $4.4 I can't remember) for the next few years. I thought I made the right decision, but my hockey knowledge paaaaaaales to what I know/think I know in my baseball league.

For a keeper league, I always recommend looking at term. Manson and Tyler Myers are basically a wash in terms of offensive output right now, but I trust Anaheim over Winnipeg in terms of team play. Myers has elite level potential, but that's always dangerous to take a guy like that when they aren't performing up to that hype, because that lack of performance could be the thing that puts a hard cap on just how good he can be.

Myers has more potential to break out, but he also has more potential to flake out. Manson is a more consistent choice, that gives you term on a team that complements him very well.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'll also chime in on the fantasy hockey trade....Manson > Myers

He's come back with another offer: 

Sami Vantanen and Patrik Nemeth for Josh Manson and my third round pick next year.

For reference the third round had guys like Kevin Lebanc, Ivan Barbasev, and Devin Shore taken this year in the rookie draft.

I'm still thinking I keep Manson.

9 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Sami Vantanen and Patrik Nemeth for Josh Manson and my third round pick next year.

For reference the third round had guys like Kevin Lebanc, Ivan Barbasev, and Devin Shore taken this year in the rookie draft.

I would hold on. Seems like he really wants Manson for some reason, so let him make an obvious overpayment, or stay the course.

In regards to regional blackouts, I haven't had cable television for years now, so I'm not sure really... but as a Flames fan who has lived in BC most my life, I have nothing but complaints about the fact that they do that. I understand why it happens, but if I'm paying $100+ a month for cable/internet, and the only way for me to catch the majority of the games I actually want to watch is to spend another $200-$300 for a premium service.

As it stands, it's cheaper for me to have no cable, internet only and subscribe to the NHL GameCenter package. Being that I am a typical Canadian making less than the national average, it's hard to shell out that cash all at once, so in recent years I have been subscribing monthly when I know I will have time to watch the games, and during the playoff race.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Vantanen makes it tempting! And if those are the kinds of guys taken in the third, I imagine the only real picks that matter are 1st and maybe 2nd?

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

Vantanen makes it tempting! And if those are the kinds of guys taken in the third, I imagine the only real picks that matter are 1st and maybe 2nd?

First round and maybe the first handful of second round picks, yeah. The rest are projects that you more or less take and just hope they pan out. 

Keep in mind I'm a young team and not all that good yet. Vantanen is tempting, but I'm not expecting a playoff push this season, or maybe even next. 

Yeah I think we all agree on this. Vantanen is the only one that makes that trade even worth while but I still think you're better to keep Manson and the pick. I am intrigued to know why he wants Manson so bad though.