The 2017/2018 NHL Thread

Ruki

17 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I mean, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, so why not just give all the schmucks a title this year. Tell the Orioles they'll be World Series champions come October. And let England know they'll win the World Cup. 

I can dig this :(Y):

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I mean, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, so why not just give all the schmucks a title this year. Tell the Seattle Mariners they'll be World Series champions come October. And let England know they'll win the World Cup. 

Haha no.

7 hours ago, Meacon said:

I mean, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, so why not just give all the schmucks a title this year. Tell the Seattle Mariners they'll be World Series champions come October. And let England know they'll win the World Cup. 

GoGo doesn't need to get any more championships.

OTTAWA—The wife of Ottawa Senators captain Erik Karlsson has filed an order of protection against the girlfriend of one of Karlsson’s teammates, alleging harassment and cyberbullying.

In an application for a peace bond filed May 4 in an Ottawa court, Melinda Karlsson alleges that Monika Caryk posted hundreds of derogatory online messages aimed at her and her husband. Caryk is the longtime partner of Senators forward Mike Hoffman.

“Monika Caryk has uttered numerous statements wishing my unborn child dead,” Karlsson said in the sworn statement. The Karlsson’s first child, a son named Axel, was stillborn in March.

Karlsson also claimed that Caryk “uttered that she wished I was dead and that someone should ‘take out’ my husband’s legs to ‘end his career.’

“Monika Caryk has posted over 1,000 negative and derogatory statements about me as a professional.”

• 2 weeks later...

So I left Zibanejad off my protection list and he went #1 in the expansion draft. <_< Oh well, that's $5.3 million a year for the next four years that I can put into defense that I sorely, sorely need help with.

Speaking of which, I'm sure to be back in here at some point to find out who you all think the best rookie defensemen were this year. So, you know, be thinking about that. :shifty:

My wife wants him in Montreal and while I think that would be great, I don't think Montreal has enough to offer him honestly. I mean any team would love to have him but honestly The Pens don't need him so to speak.

3 minutes ago, The Young & The Forkless said:

My wife wants him in Montreal and while I think that would be great, I don't think Montreal has enough to offer him honestly. I mean any team would love to have him but honestly The Pens don't need him so to speak.

Montreal 100% needs him, 100% has the money to give to him, but he 100% would not want to deal with the Montreal media.

Plus because of the terrible Shea Weber contract they voluntarily took on, the Habs will have a ton of money tied up in Price, Tavares, and Weber until 2026.

Bergevin has put a lot on this offseason, and namely getting Tavares/finding a canter. He can't screw this up. But he will. Because he's Bergevin.

On 21/06/2018 at 11:58, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Barry Trotz to the Islanders!  (H)

If he hasn't had his day with the Stanley Cup yet and he brings it to team meetings, it basically means we won it, right?

• Like 1

The Flames made a big trade yesterday, sending Michael Ferland, Dougie Hamilton and the rights to Adam Fox to Carolina in exchange for Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin.

There are a lot of people losing their minds over this deal, saying that Calgary got fleeced, but I think it turned out rather well.

Adam Fox is not likely to sign in Calgary anyways. They tried to convince him to turn pro and he declined, intending to go back to College. That's fine, but the track record of guys who do that electing free agency after wrapping up their schooling is alarming, and that's Carolina's problem now. The Flames have just as much of an opportunity to sign him as a free agent as they would have as a prospect in their organization. It's a nothing move.

Hamilton is easily the best current player in the deal, but he's too apathetic. The Flames could have rebounded last year potentially if they had an entire 23 man roster that bought in and dug deep in the losing stretches. Dougie just doesn't have that fire, and with his experience and talent, that's not something that the younger players need to be seeing. Hamilton is great, but Hanifin has the same potential, will be under team control for longer and probably carry a smaller cap hit, allowing the team flexibility within free agency.

Ferland is the only one that it really hurts to lose, as he is a true battler with a scoring touch. He has great energy and will do good things in Carolina. They are lucky to have him. That being said, his cap hit on the next contract will be large enough that we would have run the risk of losing him next summer as a UFA for nothing, and instead, Treliving turned him into a C/RW in Lindholm who, again, has the potential to be as good or better than Ferland, is currently a big contributor already, and will be under team control for longer. He can also probably be signed to a deal with significant term on it, at a lower cap hit than Ferland will command from Carolina or the open market next July.

So, the Flames move two players, one with a big contract and one who will be getting a big contract next year... and receive two players of similar potential for significantly cheaper cap hits. Oh, and Adam Fox goes to Carolina, who now get to try and convince him to play there instead of testing the open market and choosing where he lands.

We also have more cap space now, and that will make it easier to really go after a scoring winger, a mobile veteran defenseman, and either a 1A or Backup Goalie with potential to take the reigns from Smitty.

There was no first round pick for Calgary this season, but I think they had a very successful draft weekend.

So word is John Tavares is meeting with 5 teams today. The Leafs, Sharks, Stars, Golden Knights, and Lightning. Tavares on the Lightning would be interesting, as they already have Stamkos and Johnson locked up for a long time and after the upcoming season will probably be giving Kucherov and Brayden Point quite a lot of money. Granted if you have to trade Tyler Johnson in order to sign John Tavares you do it 100% of the time, and I can think of at least one franchise that would probably give up far too much in order to make that deal.