The 2017/2018 NHL Thread

Ruki

Oh man....playoffs soon! I'm excited and scared, because Boston and Tampa.

Also...there may be an extra game played between Philly and Florida IF: Philly loses their last game by exactly two goals and Florida wins both of their remaining games in the shootout

22 hours ago, Ruki said:

Oh man....playoffs soon! I'm excited and scared, because Boston and Tampa.

Also...there may be an extra game played between Philly and Florida IF: Philly loses their last game by exactly two goals and Florida wins both of their remaining games in the shootout

It surely won't wind up happening. But that said, St. Louis vs Colorado tonight is essentially a play-in game. Not sure on the scenarios should it go to OT or what, but a regulation win for either team puts them in the playoffs.

Also, and I know a lot of us have already heard, but this Humboldt tragedy just makes me feel all the worst things. :( 

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/23056409/bus-carrying-humboldt-broncos-saskatchewan-junior-hockey-league-involved-fatal-collision

• Sad 1

Tough to predict these playoffs. Anyone out of the west besides Nashville will come as a surprise but I just can't sleep on Winnipeg and especially LA. The East could be Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington, or of course Pittsburgh (though I just don't trust them this year). Columbus deserves all the trendy dark horse love we heap on a team every postseason.

4 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Tough to predict these playoffs. Anyone out of the west besides Nashville will come as a surprise but I just can't sleep on Winnipeg and especially LA. The East could be Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington, or of course Pittsburgh (though I just don't trust them this year). Columbus deserves all the trendy dark horse love we heap on a team every postseason.

But also Toronto.

16 hours ago, Ruki said:

But also Toronto.

That's a brutal road for them to go. 

Also the Caps plan to start Grubauer in game 1, and apparently plan to sign 2015 draft pick Ilya Samsonov on April 30 (obviously won't be eligible for the playoffs). That all has to be great for Holtby's confidence.

14 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

That's a brutal road for them to go. 

Also the Caps plan to start Grubauer in game 1, and apparently plan to sign 2015 draft pick Ilya Samsonov on April 30 (obviously won't be eligible for the playoffs). That all has to be great for Holtby's confidence.

Has Holtby been struggling? Injured?

It's true, but the Leafs won the season series against Boston, and Tampa is currently dealing with injuries (I think?) and our games with them have been close. I just want to beleaf.

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Has Holtby been struggling? Injured?

Holtby had an awful year and something like a 3.00 GAA in his last 17 starts. Grubauer took over for most of the final games, but there was an assumption Trotz would give Holtby a game 1 and game 2 start to get on track. They're home games and if he falters then he can switch back to Grubauer. As it stands now if he needs to call on Holtby it'll be in a desperation scenario, and I wouldn't want to put my team in that kind of mess.

Grubauer has been good, but not great, in goal.

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Holtby had an awful year and something like a 3.00 GAA in his last 17 starts. Grubauer took over for most of the final games, but there was an assumption Trotz would give Holtby a game 1 and game 2 start to get on track. They're home games and if he falters then he can switch back to Grubauer. As it stands now if he needs to call on Holtby it'll be in a desperation scenario, and I wouldn't want to put my team in that kind of mess.

Grubauer has been good, but not great, in goal.

Really? That's crazy, considering Holtby is a Holtbeast.

I hope the Pens beat the Flyers 8-0 tonight just so to one up their game one. 

All I heard all week on the radio was how the Flyers would eliminate them, because Matt Murray doesn't have his "security blanket" (Fleury) anymore. I know it's just one game, but Christ, sweep Philadelphia right out so at least that part of the city's cheeriness dies. 

On 13/04/2018 at 09:43, Meacon said:

I hope the Pens beat the Flyers 8-0 tonight just so to one up their game one. 

All I heard all week on the radio was how the Flyers would eliminate them, because Matt Murray doesn't have his "security blanket" (Fleury) anymore. I know it's just one game, but Christ, sweep Philadelphia right out so at least that part of the city's cheeriness dies. 

We're working on it. I mean it won't be 8-0 but so far 4-1 so I'm hoping for a few more from our big guys. Hey @Ruki there's still a chance. I mean they're done if they meet my Pens anyway but I'd like to see them get past Boston anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, Liam Mk2 said:

I finally found some NHL to watch on FreeSports in the UK.

How in the hell are you supposed to follow the puck? I mean, do you have to train your eye or what? I'm thinking if the picture was HD it might be easier. :shifty:

You get used to it. I used to have a hard time when I was younger. I remember when they had this dumb idea of lighting up the puck on the ice. I think that made it harder to see actually.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I finally found some NHL to watch on FreeSports in the UK.

How in the hell are you supposed to follow the puck? I mean, do you have to train your eye or what? I'm thinking if the picture was HD it might be easier. :shifty:

HD definitely helps. 

16 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

We're working on it. I mean it won't be 8-0 but so far 4-1 so I'm hoping for a few more from our big guys. Hey @Ruki there's still a chance. I mean they're done if they meet my Pens anyway but I'd like to see them get past Boston anyway.

5-1! I love it. 

I thought I jinxed them during Game 2. :shifty: 

8 minutes ago, Meacon said:

5-1! I love it. 

I thought I jinxed them during Game 2. :shifty: 

We tend to have at least one bad game a series even if we win it. Not to mention the Pens generally fall asleep in the second period. Unfortunately we just didn't wake up for the third in that game like normal.