2017 College Football Thread

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

TCU is going to get screwed out of a spot in the playoff in favor of Notre Dame, aren’t they?

1) Notre Dame's record is tougher than TCU's so it wouldn't be a screwing.

2) ND won't make the playoffs anyway because their schedule is so tough that there's no way they finish the season without another loss.

I expect ND to get at least one more loss, possibly two.

Normally I hate Notre Dame, but they definitely do have a tougher schedule than TCU. And I'm not sure TCU will make the playoffs, either.

Butch Jones is definitely getting fired after the season. Maybe sooner if Tennessee loses to Kentucky and/or Vanderbilt. I don't see it being a situation like with Dooley where they let Jim Chaney coach the last game of the season, but I could see him being told he's toast before the season is over.

Iowa State is sneaky good and I think they do knock off TCU. NC State is no easy out for Notre Dame either.

As it stands now my playoffs are simple Bama, PSU, Georgia, and TCU. Could be an interesting situation where Bama and Georgia both make SEC title game undefeated, does the loser still get into the playoff anyway? Seems unlikely but lots of teams are gonna wind up with 2 losses so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If Bama and Georgia both go in to the SEC championship undefeated, and the SEC title game is close, I think they're both in. I don't think they'll both be undefeated though. I can see Georgia losing to Auburn, Florida, or Georgia Tech. Their defense is fantastic but Jake Fromm is due an "oh yeah I forgot he's a freshman" game.

And yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to NC State this week. Or at Miami next week. I just hope it's not another damn monsoon game.

Wake should lose to ND, but with the exception of Clemson they've played all the good teams on their schedule close or blew them out like Louisville. Catholics vs Reformed Convicts should be a big one. The Mark Richt Experience means every Canes game is super close.

Playoffs right now should look like 1- Bama, 2- UGA, 3- OSU, 4- Wisconsin. I know the Badgers are undefeated but they legit haven't beaten anyone, where Ohio State's loss came to a good Oklahoma team and they just knocked off Penn St and the best player in the country. Wouldn't be shocked to see them flipped either way. It feels like the Big 12 and Pac 12 are both out of the playoff conversation, with either 2 Big 10, 2 SEC, or Notre Dame making it in this year. But a 1-loss Oklahoma whose only loss is to a top 25 Iowa St team probably gets in (especially with the Ohio State win) and a potential 1-loss Oklahoma St team who knocked off the Sooners has a shot as well. Especially with the conference championship game now. But I do figure it looks like SEC Champ, Big 10 Champ, ACC Champ, and best 1-loss team regardless of conference this year. And unless they lose that team will be Notre Dame who lost by 1 point to a Bulldogs team making a case for the nation's best.

Happy Iowa St is having a season to remember this year, with 2 huge wins. With the exception of Kansas and Rutgers I can't think of a worse major conference program over my lifetime, and the Jayhawks and Scarlet Knights both had some decent years under Mangino and Schiano respectively.

I'm curious to see if Michigan can turn shit around with this Freshman QB that played yesterday. O'Korn was brutal, and Speight was pretty bad as well. May as well run with the Freshman to have him ready for next year. No fucking way are we beating Wisconsin or OSU this year. Best hope is win the other games, and get in some silly bowl game and try to end on a positive note.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I just hope Iowa State enjoys it because I'm betting that Matt Campbell is coaching in Gainesville or Knoxville or somewhere other than Ames next year.

Yeah he's got both feet out the door at this point. Unless they somehow win the Big 12 and wind up in a New Year's Six bowl he won't even be around for the bowl game. With all the likely openings coming up in the SEC this offseason he's definitely getting one of them.

47 minutes ago, Meacon said:

You guys could easily beat Wisconsin. Don't let their record fool you. They're not a Top-10 team. 

I'm not sure I can make a case for you against Ohio State, but Wisconsin is easily beatable. 

Wisconsin's schedule is hilarious this year. It's basically bad teams and Michigan. The upshot of that is they might just need a small sprinkling of luck to have an undefeated regular season.

8 minutes ago, damshow said:

Wisconsin's schedule is hilarious this year. It's basically bad teams and Michigan. The upshot of that is they might just need a small sprinkling of luck to have an undefeated regular season.

Only for it to be a repeat of 2014 where they get utterly destroyed in the Big-10 title game against whoever wins the East. Weak.