Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

The Fox X-Men universe has it's own thread and so did the MCU TV Shows so I don't see why the MCU movies don't deserve their own thread.

I finally watched Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 today. Don't know why it took me so long. Was a very entertaining movie. But I do have some questions:

Spoiler

I haven't seen the first one in a while but was it established in that movie that Rocket doesn't quite know how humor works? I thought that was Drax' thing. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

And did Yondu show any parental characteristics in the first movie? I really love what they do with his character but I don't remember him having any emotional attachment to Starlord or regrets about how the way he raised him and about him being kicked out of the Ravagers.

And my rankings for the marvel movies so far:

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. Captain America: Civil War
  3. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
  5. Avengers
  6. Spiderman: Far From Home
  7. Iron Man 3
  8. Dr. Strange
  9. Guardians Of The Galaxy
  10. Iron Man
  11. Spiderman: Homecoming
  12. Ant-Man And The Wasp
  13. Captain Marvel
  14. Thor: Ragnarok
  15. Black Panther
  16. Ant-man
  17. Thor
  18. Captain America
  19. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  20. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
  21. The Incredible Hulk
  22. Thor: The Dark Kingdom
  23. Iron Man 2

Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 are the only movies I really consider sub-par though.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

Drax is of a species that doesn't understand entendres and all that, everything is literal to them. So all jokes go over his head.

Also, Yondu did indeed show some very very tiny moments where it was obvious he liked Quill as a son of sorts. But basically just puts up a facade of being a crazy asshole who threatens that they could've eaten him instead.
At the end of GOTG Yondu even has a moment with his #2 that goes like this.

• Kraglin: Yeah, Quill turned out okay. It's probably good we didn't deliver him to his dad like we was hired to do.
  • Yondu Udonta: Yeah, that guy was a jackass.

So yeah, it's pretty much established that Yondu sees Quill as his adopted son, but he's too stubborn/tough to say/show it outright.

10 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Hide contents

Drax is of a species that doesn't understand entendres and all that, everything is literal to them. So all jokes go over his head.

Spoiler

I worded that first point terribly. What I meant was that in the beginning of the movie it seems like Rocket doesn't understand how sarcasm works. I thought that was Drax' thing as well. Was that established in the first movie? I should really watch that again.

Funny that this thread would pop up, but I swear we had one.

Anyway, I like to have weird little projects. The one I'm on now is that I hadn't seen many of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. Currently making my way through all of them - on Thor: The Dark World right now. 

It's been fun. I never really thought I was a superhero fan and thought they were a bit overrated, but the watch-through has been enjoyable.

Heard really good things about Winter Soldier, which is up next.

The first Captain America was my favourite so far, but I think it's because I love stuff set in the past.

• Like 1

Until I saw the trailer for it before Guardians 2 I totally forgot that they are doing 3 movies per year now and that we are getting Thor 3 this november. The trailer looked cool. Just makes me wish that Marvel can eventually reach a deal with Universal like they did with Sony to make a solo Hulk movie. The Hulk deserves a good movie.

And how long do you thing this MCU thing will last? Seems like they can't do anything wrong at the moment and even movies that are not as well received such as Age Of Ultron or Thor 2 can't slow down their momentum. Do you think people will eventually grow tired of it just like they eventually did with Western movies in the 70s?

Captain Marvel:

• Captain Marvel will be set in the early '90s
  • Nick Fury will have both eyes
  • Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Bill Foster/Goliath
  • Skrulls are the villain

Ant-Man & The Wasp:

• Michelle Pfeiffer is Janet Van Dyne
Edited by tristy
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, HarshMillennium said:

I'd rank Age of Ultron much higher. That was a brilliant movie. The only thing missing was that it needed more James Spader.

Yea but everything can be improved with more James Spader

• Like 2

Infinity War trailer is going to get leaked pretty soon probably, Reddit is filled with screenshots and a 15 second clip from yesterday's ComicCon screening. It will overshadow Thor's new trailer, but I suspect Marvel rather release it themselves than have a shitty cellphone quality recording on streamable, Twitter, reddit, etc. for months on end. I believe this happened last year with Civil War, and they blamed it on HYDRA, no?

EDIT: It leaked, I'm watching it right now. FUCK.

Edited by tristy

6 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

They always blame HYDRA. FAKE NEWS!

Everyone is saying HYDRA leaked the trailer!  Why aren't they investigating crooked STEVE ROGERS emails!

6 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Until I saw the trailer for it before Guardians 2 I totally forgot that they are doing 3 movies per year now and that we are getting Thor 3 this november. The trailer looked cool. Just makes me wish that Marvel can eventually reach a deal with Universal like they did with Sony to make a solo Hulk movie. The Hulk deserves a good movie.

And how long do you thing this MCU thing will last? Seems like they can't do anything wrong at the moment and even movies that are not as well received such as Age Of Ultron or Thor 2 can't slow down their momentum. Do you think people will eventually grow tired of it just like they eventually did with Western movies in the 70s?

People have been saying it for many years, but the fatigue hasn't set in yet. Although I personally do feel a shift in 'hype' towards new films after Civil War came out. Maybe it's just personal feelings, but I just think that Civil War reached a crescendo in terms of storytelling and action that hasn't really been 'right' yet until then. Even stuff like Winter Soldier and Avengers has some flaws in that regard, but Civil War pretty much was the epitome of what they could've made.

Of course, with all the content coming out regarding Thor, and Black Panther, and of course Avengers Infinity War, they still manage to properly grab my interest because they're generally just good stuff to watch.

I have personally always felt that if the bubble is to burst, it won't be for a good couple of years. But with rumours of RDJr and Chris Evans looking to 'retire' from starring in the MCU, I'd say the best moment to expect a dip in interest is when that happens, because from the start those two actors (and their respective characters) have really championed Marvel's universe. They've been building up other characters to take the reigns if they leave, but I think it will still be hard to really replace Evans and Downey in terms of how much they're able to draw.

And you'd also think that sooner rather than later the shared universe reaches a spot where new audiences will avoid watching things because catching up is a massive chore, and there have been 10+ feature length films.

• Like 2

They wouldn't "reboot" until at least 2020, and even then, that's only a year removed from Avengers 4. I don't see them doing a complete reboot of the MCU - maybe a character like Captain America, giving the mantle to Bucky or Falcon, but not an Iron Man type character that's defined more by the person behind the identity. And I don't imagine they'll reboot the MCU that quickly either, given it's taken them almost ten years just to build up to one story arc (Infinity War). You're more likely to see them continue the MCU over the years with the new "faces" of Marvel Studios (Cumberbatch, Larson, Holland, Rudd, Pratt, etc).

Are Evans and RDJ draws for these movies? Absolutely. Are they the only draw of these movies? Nope. Like wrestling, the brand itself sells equally (or more) than the individual parts most of the time. The next few years without Evans and RDJ are going to be important for Marvel, as they'll have to build these characters (and their actors) up to an important role like Cap and Iron Man have, and they'll also always be looking for "proven" names within cinema, and also the up and comers, and also the big stars that are currently hot.

Basically, this shit ain't going to die down anytime soon, and I fully expect Infinity War to break box office records and will only solidify Marvel's commitment to making movies. The only way they give a thought to scaling back or a major reboot is if one of their "big" projects like IW flops or under performs.

I think one thing they might do for Avengers 4 is just change things in such a way that provides a sort of 'clean slate' for new audiences to hop on. I also don't think Marvel would reboot anything, since it would royally piss off the fanbase who are partly watching the MCU because they don't deal in (giant) retcons or reboots whenever they run out of ideas.

Characters will die, that's what I expect. And the world is going to be set in such a way that massive changes will happen, and Marvel will slot in new characters to lead.

Like Tristy said, Marvel is clearly committed to building a lasting universe without cheap tactics to put a new face on an old character. 

But I also feel that Downey Jr. as a whole is still their biggest name in terms of drawing power. I know multiple older people who watch the films for his presence and acting, and show little to no interest in the deeper intricacies of other characters. I think when he leaves, he will cause a chunk of more casual watches to hop off too. It won't kill the MCU in the slightest, but replacing such a name is going to be very hard because their 'homegrown talent' aren't really known to a casual crowd. Wrestling analogies apply very well. Casual watchers aren't really wowed by names such as Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, or Tom Holland.

2 hours ago, tristy said:

Are Evans and RDJ draws for these movies? Absolutely. Are they the only draw of these movies? Nope. Like wrestling, the brand itself sells equally (or more) than the individual parts most of the time.

Definitely this. Which non-comic book fan knew who the hell the Guardians Of The Galaxy were? Or the Ant-Man? They took a risk in dedicating these movies to relatively "unknown" superheroes and it payed off.

15 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Nothing goes over his head. He is too quick. He will jump up and catch it.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I think one thing they might do for Avengers 4 is just change things in such a way that provides a sort of 'clean slate' for new audiences to hop on. I also don't think Marvel would reboot anything, since it would royally piss off the fanbase who are partly watching the MCU because they don't deal in (giant) retcons or reboots whenever they run out of ideas.

Characters will die, that's what I expect. And the world is going to be set in such a way that massive changes will happen, and Marvel will slot in new characters to lead.

See this I'm not sure about, as much as they still have a decent number of relatively fresh characters and actors in Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel etc, I'm not convinced they'd take the comics route of passing Captain America to Bucky or Falcon once Chris Evans goes. The advantage in the comics is that you can try these things, then bring Cap back eventually. Genuinely interested to see the route they take, but I'd imagine there'll eventually be some recasting.

I could see them having Bucky take over the Captain America for a few movies, then maybe Evans might want to return, or going in a different direction with the character. But, I don't know if it would work in a single movie setting. It would probably be in the team up movies.