Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

That was great

15 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Okay so I'm quoting myself, but blah. Just wanted to type it out, but my very minor gripe about the film is:

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't like how Wanda, who essentially accidentally killed a bunch of Wakandans in Civil War and sort of set the whole noise of the Sokovia Accords in motion, just walked into Wakanda and none of it was mentioned in any way. I felt like it should have been referenced, or some sort of dialogue regarding it and how she didn't mean to and how Wakanda didn't blame her should have been acknowledged at least. Very minor thing, but a lot of this movie just swept a lot of Civil War under the rug, especially that one which I feel is pretty big. Wanda's just walking around Wakanda with everybody not really caring, and they're even very nicely trying to save her boyfriend and Okoye even has to be all like "Damn, she's so powerful" and stuff which I feel detracts a lot from Wakanda and the emotional pull Wanda had in Civil War. 

And the minor spoiler thing regarding the future of the franchise:

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, they could have cloaked a lot of nearly every character that died through the finger snap going to come back by not killing the characters that already had sequels announced. Made little sense to also kill Parker and the Guardians, plus why off Black Panther?

It didn't escape me though, that all the original Avengers did not perish, which probably means they all die so that Avengers 2.0 can live on into Phase Four :P 

Yeah it wasn't Wakanda where that happened in Civil War, I think it was Nigeria

7 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

That was great

It was Lagos. But the explosion that Wanda sent into that building killed humanitarian workers from Wakanda, which is why we even see Black Panther in Civil War to begin with.

7 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

That was great

She killed a bunch of Wakandans who had gone to Nigeria on some sort of humanitarian mission. That's why the T'Chaka and T'Chala were at the signing of the Sokovia Accords.

Though it's utterly impossible for me to write any kind of all-encompassing reaction (although I suppose my prior "SERIOUSLY, OMG" counts), some random (VERY SPOILER) points off the top of my head about Infinity War:

Spoiler

- Legitimately surprised by the Red Skull appearance. That was fantastic.

- Totally unable to remember any of the funny lines because they were mostly in the first half of the film and then the second half just blitzed everything. There was a lot of talk about wizards, I think. And Thor was still funny, which was good (was slightly concerned that it wouldn't survive outside of Waititi's directorial purview).

- The moment where Cap, Widow and Falcon swoop in to save Vision and Wanda in the train station, and the Avengers theme music comes to life... That made me feel a level of hype that I haven't felt since I first saw Avengers Assemble in 2012. If I was the fist-pumping kind, that would be the moment I did it.

- Ant-Man and Hawkeye are off somewhere together, apparently... Clint appearance in Ant Man & Wasp, hopefully?

- Honestly still stunned that Thanos was as done as well as he was.

- Loki. :crying:

- Gamora. :crying:

- Everyone FFS. :crying::crying::crying:

- CAPTAIN MARVEL TEASE IN THE POST-CREDITS, YES!!

Fucking hell I need to see that film again.

• Like 1

My pros and my cons which are really nitpicking and did not in any way take away from my enjoyment of the film

Pros:

- The movie's existence.  This is everything they promised the MCU could lead to, and its amazing to see if play out on screen.

- I really loved Hickman's entire run on Avengers in the comics, so I'm a fan of The Black Order and its awesome to see them brought to life onscreen.  Corvus Glaive might not be well known, but goddamn did they ever nail his look.  Looks like he stepped right out of the comics.

- Spider-Man is just such a source of joy in the MCU, it's always fun to spend time with this Peter Parker.

- They balanced the dark elements of the film with the typical quips and lightheartedness of the MCU really well.  Thor has lost everything and he didn't become some GRIMDARK sad sack hellbent on revenge.  If this was the Snyderverse he'd barely have any lines and deliver them all through the most gritted teeth in human history.  And because they didn't, and because he could still be funny and optimistic, you got all those great interactions with him and Rocket.

- Speaking of balancing your characters, welcome back Drax of Guardians Vol. 1, you've been missed.

- Red Skull cameo was so great, so unexpected.  Ross Marquand is really good, had no idea that wasn't Hugo Weaving.  I hope it means we could see Red Skull pop up again in the future.

- I liked the change in character motivation for Thanos.  I don't think courting the personification of Death would have translated well to screen or into the MCU as a whole.

- The interaction between Strange and Stark was awesome

- Actually pretty much off of Doctor Strange in this film was awesome.   Glad we got to see a bit more of what he could do besides making portals and magical barriers.

- And speaking of seeing more of what things can do, they did a great job of showing off the powers of the infinity stones in this film, especially the Reality Stone, which we learned very little about in Thor: The Dark World.

- "Oh, I'm gonna get that arm"

- I saw a lot of complaints about it being overstuffed and not having enough time for everyone to get in character moments, and I don't know how valid those criticisms are. These are comic book movies and this is the first time we've ever seen a massive company wide type crossover event translated to film.  Just like in those events in the comics, its all hands on deck, but not everyone is going to play a starring role.   But for the most part, everyone is going to get some cool moments and that's what happens here.   War Machine wasn't in it for very long, but when he was, he was exactly what War Machine is supposed to be, and I loved that.  Someone like Falcon obviously wasn't going to be a featured player, but he got some cool shots in the big battles, and that's what he's in the movie to do.

-Captain Marvel tease was great, really excited to see what they do with the character and their plans for her film.

- There's so much other stuff I enjoyed, I'll probably edit it in as it comes to me.

The nitpicky cons that did nothing to impact my enjoyment of the movie:

- Maybe they are saving it for an Avengers 4 flashback but not showing us the destruction of Xandar seems like a huge missed opportunity.  We're familiar with that planet, we know what the Nova Corps can do, and Thanos devastated the planet before he had any of the stones and you aren't going to show us that?  It should have at least been alluded to in a post credits scene on a prior film.  Or maybe have the ship at the end of Ragnarok pick up a distress call from Xandar, warning that Thanos has attacked, right before his ship comes into view.

- Wasn't feeling Peter Dinklage's character.  He felt like he was overacting.  The forced perspective effects to make him look bigger weren't very well done.

- I'm ready for Groot to go back to Guardians Vol. 1 Groot now.  Teenage Groot doesn't do anything for me, and didn't  have much of a role at all besides making the axe handle.

- I don't love that Spidey hasn't matured very much since Civil War and Homecoming and he still feels like he's letting Stark down and needs to apologize to him.  Let's get him past that.  And its kind of absurd given the circumstances around their failure this time around that he'd still wind up blaming himself.  This one is waaaaaaay beyond you Pete.

- Didn't like the Iron Spider costume in the comics, don't love it here either.  We just got Spider-Man looking exactly as he should, let us enjoy that for awhile.

- While they did a good job of cementing Wanda and Vision's relationship, it hasn't been nearly fleshed out enough to carry as much emotional weight as they were hoping it would.  If they want to use Scarlet Witch in this way, they really need to start getting her some time in other films.  It's alluded to that she's really powerful, but we don't know very much about her powers or really much of anything about her, besides the fact that she loves Vision and didn't like getting locked up at Avengers HQ.   They really should run with the all female Avengers film at some point.

- Thor getting a new eye, booooo, long live eyepatch Thor!  Similarly booo Blonde Black Widow, long live red haired Black Widow!

Yeah, like I said none of those things took anything away from my enjoyment of that movie.  I had a stupid grin on my face for so much of it.    Will definitely be seeing it in theaters again.

My reaction:

Spoiler

WUT...

To further elaborate: SPOILERS: seriously, do not open if you haven’t seen the film

Spoiler

We’re heading toward either someone getting the glove or Thanos being forced to turn back time and erase the vanishing into thin air deaths right?

They wiped out The Guardians of the Galaxy save for Rocket, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Nick Fury and a ton of others like that. No way that sticks, right?....right?😭

God, it's weird that the next movie after this is an Ant-Man one. That's either going to be a really nice breath of fresh air or feel totally inconsequential.

Spoiler

like, shit, dude. Half of the universe is dead! I'm sure the bulk of the movie takes place between Civil War and Infinity War but still.

Anyway, I loved it. Thanos was great. Probably the biggest job this movie had to do was sell people on him and I loved the approach they took. My jaw dropped when Red Skull came back; I too had no idea that that wasn't Hugo Weaving, though to be fair I've not seen that performance since I saw it in theaters like seven years ago and Ross Marquand's original claim to fame was being a great impressionist. I think I just assumed that Weaving had agreed to come back and do a mocap performance instead of makeup, since he hated the Red Skull makeup so much.

SO GOOD.

Spoiler

They had me the entire way through. I really thought they were going to kill Thor off when he was reactivating the forge, despite at no point thinking that earlier in the film. The Stark fake out before Thanos got the Time Stone was really well done too. I can only assume this happened in the version he saw where they win though otherwise what the fuck?

THEY KILLED LOKI AND HEIMDALL THOUGH :crying: Don't care so much for Gamora personally.

Loved the Guardians mixing it up with the Avengers. Great to see some newer interactions between them.

The whole Soul Stone part was brilliantly done. Red Skull return, Thanos' emotion, just perfect.

Thanos was superb, in my opinion. Hats off to Brolin.

All the comedy was done really well, love the characterisation Thor has had since Ragnarok.

Giant Peter Dinklage!

HALF THE FUCKING CAST DISINTEGRATED. WHAT. WHAT.

The part I had spoiled for me that I mentioned before was Spiderman dying, which I assumed was bullshit since they already have a release date for his sequel but FUCK THEY DID IT ANYWAY THE MAD BASTARDS.

Who's even left? Cap, Tony, Thor, Rhodes, Hulk, Black Widow, Nebula, and a few Wakandans?

Justgot out of seeing IW.   I'll post more thoughts when I get home , but that movie was epic

I haven’t had that much fun at a movie since I saw The Dark Knight on opening night. The movie was great and the best MCU makes movie since GotG1. I do have a few minor nits to pick:

Spoiler

The drawback of a giant expanded universe and knowing there’s a sequel coming in 12 months is that I don’t buy that everyone is gone. At all. You know they’re not killing The Black Panther off or Spider-Man after one film each. You know they’re not killing off Peter Quill or Drax off before Volume 3. I could maybe buy that Gamora is dead, but I don’t. What I would love to see them do (but in no way expect because capitalism or want it because I love these movies) is if Kevin Feige sent out a press release and said the MCU is complete and Thanos won. It’s over and the whole franchise is being re-booted.

Also, am I crazy or was Renner and/or Paul Rudd doing press for this movie? Clint Barton has always been pretty inconsequential to everything but the fact that he just wasn’t in the thing at all was weird.

Also, there was a classic troll job by the Russos in the credits before the post-credit scene. Loved it.

12 hours ago, GoGOceanea said:

God, it's weird that the next movie after this is an Ant-Man one. That's either going to be a really nice breath of fresh air or feel totally inconsequential.

Reveal hidden contents

like, shit, dude. Half of the universe is dead! I'm sure the bulk of the movie takes place between Civil War and Infinity War but still.

Anyway, I loved it. Thanos was great. Probably the biggest job this movie had to do was sell people on him and I loved the approach they took. My jaw dropped when Red Skull came back; I too had no idea that that wasn't Hugo Weaving, though to be fair I've not seen that performance since I saw it in theaters like seven years ago and Ross Marquand's original claim to fame was being a great impressionist. I think I just assumed that Weaving had agreed to come back and do a mocap performance instead of makeup, since he hated the Red Skull makeup so much.

I felt the same way about Ant-Man is that he basically had his own movie to setup why he was in Civil War. 

On 4/23/2018 at 10:47, Benjamin said:

There's one thing about post-credit spoilers I know that I think people will really like:

Reveal hidden contents

So, now that I’ve seen the movie, where did you hear this?

7 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

Also, there was a classic troll job by the Russos in the credits before the post-credit scene. Loved it.

What was this?