Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

This movie has been,  What...9 years and 13 movies in the making.   Can't wait

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lint said:

This movie has been,  What...9 years and 13 movies in the making.   Can't wait

18 by the time it opens.

I agree, Thanos does look weird, they should have kept his Guardians look.

• Like 1

I imagine Thanos will go full armor once he gets the Gauntlet assembled. But I also love the fact that he's so dismissive that he showed up to face The Avengers in his gym clothes.

It is truly insane that Marvel has pulled this off.

• Like 5

Seriously.  They've been doing it so well for so long that its become commonplace and you tend to forget what an absolutely insane accomplishment the MCU really is.

• Like 1

Their commitment to a methodical, slow build that gives every character a rich life is what made this all possible. It gives it the incredible gravity it deserves.

Meanwhile, DC puts every hero in their second movie, with no reason to be there.

Ironically, this seems like it has the same basic plot structure as Justice League and does the style of trailer that the non-Suicide Squad DCEU films up to Justice League frequently went with (whereas Justice League basically went "oh haha whoops you guys like humor and More Personality right??" and drenched their trailers in Axe Body Spray). A lot different when you know and have a real fondness for most of the people on the screen and the villain setting the plot in motion is a dude you've seen before.

• Like 1

So, for awhile now I've been guessing (with no comic knowledge) that in Infinity Wars 1 or 2 they are gonna start trimming some of the hero fat and killing people off. Anyone else feel the same?

I also vaguely remember reading that after IW2 that it will be the end of this 'universe' or something?

Oh there’s absolutely gonna a significant death or three. Decent chance of it in this one, and pretty much guaranteed in Avengers 4. My money is on Cap going down.

And 4 won’t mark the end of the current continuity. They’ll just shift away from this arc of Thanos being the Big Bad and the lion’s share of focus on heroes won’t be on the original 4. I’d bet you end up with more focus on Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Guardians, And Spider-Man. Possibly Doctor Strange. I bet Stark sticks around forever, but he’ll shift from active hero to background mentor. At least one major hero will die and put down the mantle, then a new person will take that mantle on. Cap and Iron Man would be the most likely candidates.

On Facebook, I was discussing the essential MCU films someone should see if they wanted to skip the fluff but get the important story beats. Here’s what I’ve come up with:

- Iron Man
- Thor
- Cap 1
- Avengers
- Winter Soldier
- Guardians
- Ultron
- Civil War
- Guardians 2
- Ragnarok

Thoughts? That leaves out a few I really like or even love (Homecoming being a big one), but I feel like the above films give you the bare narrative you need without just reading an overall plot summary.

Yeah, of course, I recommend seeing everything. But for those who are excited enough for Infinity War to get caught up in detail, but are intimidated by the prospect of watching all 17 movies, I feel like there should be some form of abridged catch-up list.

And I too am tempted to leave off Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. They’re the worst of the MCU bunch. That said, even those are pretty decent popcorn flicks in the grand scheme of entertainment.

Iron Man 2 is worth it for Sam Rockwell