Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

4 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

:rolleyes:

That's not me being white and weird. What I meant was, those minority audiences haven't really had a whole lot to be excited about in regards to representation in the MCU. Black Panther being the first film to feature a mostly non-white cast was obviously going to get a little bit of a boost because of it. It is fantastic that Marvel and Disney saw how under-represented those demographics were, and again, I loved the film.

Captain Marvel will benefit from a similar boost in the female demographic.

What I'm saying is, when something is done for the first time, it puts an additional shine on the product. That shine can make the film seem better than it actually is, simply because of the level of excitement.

So while I love Black Panther as a film, I do believe that the hype and shine it received due in large part to the fact that it focused on non-white actors and characters helped to make it feel like it was better than other MCU films, when it really wasn't. On first watch, I had Black Panther on the top of my list of MCU movies. After the second watch, it fell a bit. After the third viewing, it fell another spot.

Essentially, the TL;DR is that, even as a white male, I was bewitched by the step forward that Marvel and Disney took, with a film based around non-white characters. I was so happy to see that they understood the lack of inclusion in the previous movies, that I was blinded to some of the faults of the film. The usage of the very strong and willful female characters was also a large part of that.

9 hours ago, Gabriel said:

What I'm saying is, when something is done for the first time, it puts an additional shine on the product. That shine can make the film seem better than it actually is, simply because of the level of excitement.

I would argue film us all about emotion - so if people relate and love the movie, for whatever personal reason, be it because they have a connection with what they see on screen, or have that feeling of being represented and seen for the first time in a huge blockbuster, than that's not 'shine' that's just the sign of a great movie. It's also totally okay to realise that people didn't have that deep personal connection and that takes some of the enjoyment away. Hope that sort of made sense. 

For me, the thing I loved, and then was a little let down by, in Black Panther is how you totally understand where Michael B. Jordan is coming from - and it was such an interesting conflict on screen and to have as an audience member. Then, I'm assuming because of the confines of a Marvel film, they had to up his villainy, instead of maintaining a conflict where you empathise with the villain. 

• Like 1

Killmonger was perfect. The best villains are villains who are right in a sense, and he totally was. I love how T'Challa was changed by his experience fighting against Killmonger, where he sees his side of things, and understands how the world and Wakanda were responsible for the way that Killmonger developed as a person.

14 hours ago, Maxx said:

IS IT AS GOOD AS A MAN LEAD SUPER HERO MOVIE?

NO ITS NOT!  BRIE IS A DIRTY SJW LIBTARD CUCK WHO WANTS WHITE GENOCIDE REEEEEEEEEE!!!!

seriously though I'm probably going on Saturday to see it and I can't wait

10 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Pretty fucking good.

Goose is a breakout star. Hope it rips Thanos apart.

How many post-creds scenes? 

Loved Captain Marvel, lots of fun!  Hate the people saying it feels like a phase 1 movie.  Imagine that, an origin movie feels like it’s from the phase consisting almost entirely of origin movies, how strange.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Loved Captain Marvel, lots of fun!  Hate the people saying it feels like a phase 1 movie.  Imagine that, an origin movie feels like it’s from the phase consisting almost entirely of origin movies, how strange.

Is this really a complaint? What the hell are people expecting?

1 minute ago, iDOL said:

Is this really a complaint? What the hell are people expecting?

Captain Marvel: Infinity War, apparently.

It's an origin story, so it's going to feel like an origin story. People are just dumb. They'll find anything to complain about.

I'm expecting a movie about female empowerment, Captain Marvel's origins, the Kree/Skrull war and a set-up to Endgame. I'm told that as long as I'm not an angry white dude upset about how white male actors are being overlooked (they're not), that I should be getting what I'm expecting. Honestly, we need this. Black Panther opened up a whole world of new possibilities for the MCU, and I hope Captain Marvel does the same. A solo Black Widow film could be awesome, and there are so many other female characters in the books that haven't been used yet.

If they lose Spider-Man at some point, I'd love to see them dive into the "Peter Parker got cloned and Jessica Drew is the female version of him" storyline from Ultimate Spider-Man and essentially replace him with a character that I believe falls under their ownership due to her affiliation with the Avengers... but the Ultimate Spider-Woman is more similar to Spider-Man than the 616 version, so they could roll with that to tie them together before they send Parker off into the sunset and Sony's questionable hands.

And when X-Men becomes available to Marvel/Disney? Oh boy. Different ethnic backgrounds, a good mix of men and women, straight and gay characters... it's a veritable smorgasboard of diversity just waiting to be supped at. I can't wait for all of the closet racists/homophobes/etc to start crying about that.

Diversifying the MCU only helps to open it up to people who didn't feel represented previously. That's never a bad thing, unless it directly impacts the quality of the product... but it won't. Black Panther was a great first step, and I can't wait to see how they continue their crusade to widen the MCU with Captain Marvel. Brie Larson was a fantastic choice as well. I've been watching her recently in the United States of Tara, which is an amazing show, and I'm excited to see how she does with the character.