Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

6 hours ago, Kaney said:

Captain Marvel was really good. The scene with the flashbacks to her standing up, that was used in the trailer, was epic as fuck. I didn't mind it as an origin story, but I did feel a few of the jokes didn't land as well as other MCU films had. Really cant wait for Endgame though.

For me, I just wish the film was as inspired as this moment. It totally landed and is the one genuine standout scene for me. 

I thought it was decent, fun to watch, but like GoGo, definitely lacking. Like, it just felt all very standard and not as inventive or as defining as it could've been. I still had a good time, but I definitely was hoping for more I guess. I thought Brie Larson was great.

A few lil themes and stuff I did like. 

I thought the refugee metaphors were a nice little surprise. I thought that and the whole 'women being too emotional' were laid on a little thick, but both great stuff to be exploring in Marvel films, so even if they were broad, I enjoyed that. Also enjoyed the Indiana Jones ending and the avoidance of a big bad battle - the whole "I don't need to prove anything to you" was lovely and refreshing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colly said:

The Last Jedi is universally loathed

Alright...alright..easy there.... let's not defend it too much. it was still a pretty terrible film :P

Plus making $1.4b in the box office isn't really a true reflection of the films success or failure...anyway...off topic...how cute is the space monster cat!

3 minutes ago, SquareRootOfSi said:

Alright...alright..easy there.... let's not defend it too much. it was still a pretty terrible film :P

Plus making $1.4b in the box office isn't really a true reflection of the films success or failure...anyway...off topic...how cute is the space monster cat!

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Captain Marvel: Thought it was good, maybe not as high on it as others but I'd say a solid 7.5/10 would probably be where I put it. But I am definitely pumped for End Game at this point.

Spoilery thoughts below

-Also think it was a little slow on the start but things picked up quickly once Carol is captured and then crashes on Earth. The beginning really reminds me a lot of the first Thor that starts out with expeditions on other worlds and the protagonist ends up crashing to Earth for a fish out of water situation.

-Goose definitely was the MVP. Though Agent Nick Fury was a lot of fun too. Getting movie Coulson again was great to see.

-Love the soundtrack and the 90's nostalgia/jokes.

-The bad guy reveal was predictable though I did like the twist of the Skrulls being the "good guys" after all.

-On the note of the end credit scenes...it's definitely been a trend for as long as I can remember that the scene at the very end of the credits is something humorous and usually not critical to ongoing stories (except for Infinity War which didn't have a mid-credit scene, just the end one...and now that was one you definitely had to wait around for.) So for this one, I didn't bother to stay around for the end credit scene and just checked out the mid-credit one and what a scene that was.

I loved Captain Marvel. Thought it was fantastic. Also helped that we were sat next to some kids who loving every moment of the movie. Most people get annoyed by little kids. They were quite chatty but I found their glee so infectious. 

Loved Captain Marvel. I think the Thor comparison is pretty apt. A plot much like the first one, some of the third’s humor. But a nice twist of its own.

Predictions:

Spoiler

Surely there’s more to come with Annette Benning, right? Am I the only one thinking she’s Carol’s mother?

And having her BE Mar-vell was great.

10 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

Loved Captain Marvel. I think the Thor comparison is pretty apt. A plot much like the first one, some of the third’s humor. But a nice twist of its own.

Predictions:

Hide contents

Surely there’s more to come with Annette Benning, right? Am I the only one thinking she’s Carol’s mother?

And having her BE Mar-vell was great.

Spoiler

You think Carol Danvers' mother was a Kree? I don't see that happening.