Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Ever wanna feel "dirty" while watching a MCU movie?

Captain Marvel - I liked it, it was a fun movie, but I was taken out of immersion by a number of things I was critical of

The humor felt really forced at times. I kind of want to go back and rewatch just to count the number of scenes where someone tells a joke and then we get a reaction shot from another character laughing. It was like the director was telling me "they are having a good time. You are having a good time." So I wasn't having a good time during that because it wasn't organic.

Brie Larson was a good casting choice for smart aleck OP superhero, but I still don't buy her as a soldier for the Kree or passing boot camp for the airforce. When I saw her fail in boot camp I thought they would show her going back to try again and succeeding, but it only reinforced that they could have cast someone tougher looking and believable as a member of the military. She's the embodiment of Jason Statham's interview on why he doesn't audition for superhero movies - it's all CGI and special effects so anyone can be a superhero without needing any actual fighting training or toughness

I hate that she let Jude Law's character live. Moments earlier she tore through an entire battleship, exploding it to smithereens, along with probably hundreds of Kree soldiers. Moments before that, Jude Law was ordering the innocent Skrull refugees be sent out the airlock, and before that, killed Mar-Vell in a flashback. This is part of a bigger superhero running theme I hate, which is they clearly kill a ton of meaningless baddies and then let the head of the snake live to teach him a lesson. I clearly need to go back to finishing season 2 of The Punisher.

I did like a lot though: Fury, Goose, Maria/Monica Rambeau, how much it added to the mythos with the Tesseract and other characters we'd see in other films, the 90s nostalgia references, even the Terminator 2 similarities when she gets to Earth. Overall, fun movie, but I thought Wonder Woman was the better female-lead superhero film.

Edited by I Don't Mind

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

I hope at some point they get back to giving Hulk his own films. I actually really enjoyed the one in current continuity, but I feel like they can do a lot more now with the extended universe.

I believe the Hulk movie rights are still owned by Universal. 

11 hours ago, livid said:

I believe the Hulk movie rights are still owned by Universal. 

8 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

That’s precisely why, yeah.

Yea, but Disney could search their couch cushions and find the money they'd probably need to buy the distribution rights back

As of sometime later today, the latest film I'll have seen in the MCU is Guardians 2. What's the minimum I need to see after that if I wanna see Capt Marvel and Endgame? I would imagine Infinity War kinda goes without saying.

Um, Black Panther and Doctor Strange introduce the characters that'd you will see in Infinity War, so if you feel you'd be wondering who some people are, probably those. Ragranok if you wanna' know what Thor and the Hulk has been up to since Age of Ultron, otherwise it's not really necessary. Ant-Man & the Wasp is really fun as well but is probably the most skippable of all you have left.