Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Posting thoughts later,but I just want to get this out:

IM SO HAPPY!

BEST MOVIE EVER!

I feel for the poor cab and uber drivers that got to drive people home after the showings,they are going to get the movie spoiled so bad.

Right. So... Endgame.

Fuck.

Spoiler

The best thing about this movie was the main character arcs. And by main characters, I'm counting Iron Man, Captain America and (in a different way) Thor.

The culmination of Iron Man character arc was perfect. After years of guilt, and believing that he can never do enough to save everybody, he finally does all that he can do. The conversation with his father in 1970 was the lynchpin of this for me: in reassuring Howard about the prospect of raising a child, Tony is both able to see his father (and his father's expectations of him) humanised, plus connect the old parenting truth of "you just have to make it up as you go along", to demolish this strive for perfectionism that has plagued Tony's life/psyche since the beginning. Throw in some fatherly love ("the kid's not even born yet and I'd do anything for him"), and finally Tony has the freedom to 'be' Iron Man - making the ultimate sacrifice in the process.

(BTW after his daughter was introduced early on, I spent most of the rest of the film thinking "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE RUIN THIS CHILD'S LIFE OR MAKE HER NOT EXIST OR ANYTHING YOU BASTARDS". Apparently this is what being a father has done to me. And of course, her dad dies. :crying: This effect on her is glossed over really, but you can hardly expect anything out of a 4/5 year old no matter if they're a good actor or not, so eh.)

Captain America gets to finally live the life he lost, growing old with his true love. Brilliant. A+. Couldn't be any better.

Cap was also the star of the film in many ways. The cheer in the cinema when he picked up Mjolnir was the biggest pop of the film. The elevator/"Hail Hydra" scene was superb. He provided several funny lines (the "America's ass" one being obvious, but I laughed more when he was fighting with himself. 2012 Cap: "I could do this all day." 2019 Cap: "Yeah, yeah I know. 🙄"). In all, a great send-off.

Thor's arc clearly isn't finished yet, but it took massive steps with him coming to terms (mostly via the chat with his mother) with how he doesn't have to be what others expect of him, which leads to him passing the crown of Asgard on to Valkyrie and so on. I imagine that in Guardians of the Galaxy 3, his arc will end with him finding his own true purpose at last...and if that's threatening Fortnite trolls, all the better. :shifty: 

Hulk/Banner was an odd one for me. Despite being one of the most prominently-featured characters in the film, he really didn't get any character development beyond the initial "hey look, me and Hulk are basically co-existing now". And no, lobbing a bench into a lake because Nat died doesn't count. I'm not really sure where his character is supposed to go from here - or even what degree he'll be involved - so that was a bit of a head-scratcher.

Captain Marvel's role in the film was minimal aside from rescuing Tony at the start and blowing up the big ship at the end. I don't necessarily mind that because this film is the big culmination of the 'original' Avengers' arc and it makes sense to focus on them more than her or the other new guys, who will get more time later (plus, she is fairly OP). What I didn't like is how her dialogue was almost 100% arrogance without much of the humour/charm that she had in her own film. The bit about having thousands of other worlds to look after was great, explaining her absences and demonstrating her wider priorities...but yeah, just saying "well obviously I'm better than all of you" a few times over wasn't exactly endearing. Maybe that's the key to her character development in her next movie though - being so used to being OP that she's started to become arrogant/maybe complacent about it?

So many other bits and pieces I could go into, it's difficult to know what to say...

* I was utterly astonished that Natalie Portman even made a cameo.
* The whole part of the film in the aftermath of "Five Years Later" when everybody's trying to deal with the loss in different ways was great.
* I've heard speculation that Loki could now be alive somewhere after skidaddling with the Tesseract...but I don't think so. So far as the film explained its approach to time travel (other than "so Back To The Future was all bullshit?"), I'm pretty sure that's an alternative timeline unconnected to the main one, and nothing more will come of it.
* Slightly bemused that Gamora just buggered off somewhere after the final battle. I would have thought she'd at least hang around with Nebula even if she wanted nothing to do with Quill or the rest...but I guess that's what GotG3 is for.
* Other stuff that I can't think of at the moment...

And for the record, the funniest line was the "Build-a-Bear" one. :shifty: 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iDOL said:

Here at the theater now 😱

Samesies!

Just got home. My goodness. My life is complete.

Some quick thoughts.

Spoiler

I definitely loved that they kept the comedy alive. Build a bear, Korg and the online trolls, Ant Man and Cap with the that's America's ass, first act Hulk being the cool cheesy super hero "alright kids say green!" shtick, and really almost every scene Thor is in until the final act. Thor totally owned in this movie.

The Five Years Gone scenario was great, and totally not how I saw it going. That was truly awesome how people dealt with it. Black Widow feeling like she had a purpose, Cap just being himself and trying to lift others up, Hawkeye going fucking crazy vigilante, it was great. 

The past scenes were all great. Iron Man getting that great heart to heart with his Dad that he never got but always wanted was a great piece of character building that really helped to complete Tony's journey of coming to terms with his Dad, seeing the love he had for him, that was great. The Original Avengers stuff was great, especially for that Winter Soldier throwback in the elevator. I saw that coming and was grinning in anticipation for that Heil Hydra moment. Fucking incredible. 

While Thor's comedy stuff really killed the first half of the movie, Captain America really was incredible in the last half. Heil Hydra to finally wielding the hammer, man that was incredible. It was so awesome to see Cap finally get the life he always deserved and finally get his dance with his gal. Obviously, I wonder about how him doing that would've completely screwed up the timeline, unless Cap just remained essentially in hiding/a secret his whole time with Peggy.

Iron Man, Cap, and Black Widow all really had good ends to their arcs. Hawkeye I think as well as he can easily just go back to being a family man in retirement. I'm curious to see if anything happens with Hulk, but I don't expect it to just considering he's not going to get a standalone movie anytime soon. Ant Man could easily be wrapped up too.

I liked the awesome Jarvis cameo in the 1970 scene. I loved Agent Carter! That being said, with this being the last Avengers of the original saga... Fuck You Marvel for not showing any Phil Coulson! Just one scene man!

My one critique if I'm going to have one is that the Nebula stuff was kind of hokey with how her being on the same network as her past self led to Thanos finding out what was going on. But, as far as comic book movies go and the bad guy having to find out what's going on, it was probably the most sensible thing to be done.

My thoughts moving forward

Spoiler

I'm mainly curious right now about Spiderman. He's now the same age, but 5 years in the future, right? But it looked like he was right back in high school and nothing changed. I'm wondering what the heck that's going to look like. Did he and Ned get snapped and are now still high schoolers in 2023? That's a potential confusing mess to navigate.

I guess, I wonder about the future of their timeline in general. We jumped to 2023, we're still there, and everyone who got snapped just got brought back like nothing happened, even though five years happened? Oh man that's going to be fun to navigate. 

It's no shock to see Sam/Falcon pick up the shield, and I hope to see him and Bucky still team up and do stuff together. There are still good stories to be told there.

Thor teaming up with the "Asguardians of the Galaxy" is going to be fun movie, although I can't see Thor lasting too much longer in the MCU, despite how amazing he has been. I only imagine Gamora wasn't a part of the ending so they can rebuild that story in GotG3.

Really hope Loki is still alive now because of getting the Tesseract. I believe dammit!

Captain Marvel needs a good ass kicking to get knocked down a peg. She felt arrogant a fair bit throughout. I get it, but she needs to have a challenge, and herself is her best challenge.

I can't wait to go see it again.

• Like 2

OH fucking hell...I can't even process that movie now.  Just so much

Future films based on events of Endgame thoughts

Spoiler

So is the Black Widow movie going to essentially be an origin story for a dead character? Doesn't that seem a little redundant?

And other Endgame related question

Spoiler

Where is the Mind Stone now? They got it out of the scepter for the collection, returned it to the scepter when Cap when back, but then if it continues its timeline it should be in the forehead of Vision, but Vision never came back...

Also why did Vision not come back? He's a man-made creation that would have been created in the timeline and not killed by Thanos in Wakanda.

Reply to the second spoiler box above

Spoiler

The timeline at the end of the film is 2023. Vision has been dead for five years. As Hulk said 'you can't change the future', the Thanos dusted at the end was 2014 Thanos but that occurred after 2018 Thanos had performed the snap and then been killed by Thor. It's the same reason 2023 Nebula is able to shoot Nebula 2014 dead without causing herself to cease to exist.

The Mind Stone would have been put back into the sceptre in 2012 by Cap and that reality would have carried on as it was designed to, but it wasn't the same reality as the one at the end of the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question for those who have seen the movie

Spoiler

How is old Steve Rogers actually there at the end?

And

Spoiler

Was anyone else half expecting it to be Black Widow walking up to the group to reveal Cap had used the Soul Stone to trade places and bring her back?

14 minutes ago, iDOL said:

I have a question for those who have seen the movie

Reveal hidden contents

For your first question:

Spoiler

Steve Rogers was born on July 4th, 1918. Essentially at the time of Infinity War he would have been 100. At the end of Endgame, he would be 105, I guess? Maybe he went back in time to a later date to the one he fell into the ice with, and that's why he's old as fuck, but not old as fuck, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

I realize there are licensing issues at play but they simply dropped the ball by not dropping in some unseen characters into that final battle. At the final battle, when Dr. Strange was warping in Wakanda, Guardians of the Galaxy etc, how hard would it have been to have thrown in some X-Men, Silver Surfer or Fantastic Four. If a portal had opened up in the sky and Deadpool dropped out, looked at the camera and said "This is the party my mom warned me about" and he started slicing shit up the entire theater would have gone absolutely crazy. A complete missed opportunity.- Idiot on Reddit

The internet is a dumb place.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1