Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

On 8/11/2017 at 07:02, Jasonmufc said:

I watched Guardians 2, and I fucking loved every second of it. Managed to stay extremely humorous, yet have serious beats throughout. The only thing that really fell flat was Quill's entire adventure, up until the big finale that brought it all together again.

Loved Yondu, Rocket, and Kraglin's big adventure whilst the rest of the cast was on their little vacation. Baby Groot was fucking amazing, and is surely to be Marvel's answer to the minions craze. And I even loved a certain Sly person making a notable cameo, and he fit pretty well too I felt.

The whole ship fight with the above three was amazingly done, and both funny and badass at the same time. And I also loved the little nods and references strewn throughout, like the Sovereign drone-consoles having Arcade/Atari sounds.

I'd say the only thing that really drug was the stuff with Kurt Russell, which is a shame because I love him and I liked the way he played his character. But it wasn't very riveting, and it was pretty bland, boring, and felt unneccesary up until the finale where it started to matter. It also felt cliché, but unlike other cliché's in Guardians, it didn't feel like a good cliché.

But once the action started, the film came into its own with fight spectacles that are easily prettier and more fantastical than the other Marvel films. And the banter between the main cast was second to none, with Draxtista really coming into his own as a big deadly doofus.

And yes, they managed to make me emotional in the end, extremely fair play to Michael Rooker being such a great actor.

The first battle sequence between Steve/Bucky/Natasha was absolutely brilliant. 

We watched it last night and I liked it a lot, tons of fun. My kids loved it, woke up to them pretending to be Guardians of the Galaxy this morning.

I haven't seen the first one...

I had no real complaints. Probably one of the best experiences I've had with a superhero movie. Funny, charming, and serious when needed. Plus the visual effects made me wish I had seen it in the theater. While on acid.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Was having this discussion with a mate yesterday, who do you think are the best/biggest name actors/actresses to not feature in the MCU yet?

With or without allowing people from the DCU/FOX-U?

Because with, then it's easy. Without, it might take some straining

I'll go with people not in any of the verses unless they had a marginal role.

Gerard Butler, Liam Neeson (Batman Begins isn't DCU), Travis Fimmel, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Donnie Yen, Kevin Spacey, Jason Statham, Steve Buscemi
Jamie Foxx, Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, Charlie Hunnam, and always Ron Perlman

Some female names:
Natalie Dormer, K-Stew, Tatiana Maslany, Eiza Gonzalez, Alex Daddario, Kat Winnick, Emilia Clarke, Sonequa Martin-Green, Zendaya , Margot Robbie (Ok, she had a big role in Squad, but she deserves better than be the shining beacon in a pile of shite)

Edited by Jasonmufc

1 hour ago, tristy said:

did I miss Brad Pitt being in a Marvel or DC movie? Or is he not a big name anymore?

I wonder what kind of role he'd play in a Marvel film, since he's a huge name and a massive draw, but he's also 50+ and there's not a lot of names out there that are older but 'big'.

Guys like Gibson and Hanks are very fringey choices from me, Gibson is down the slope a bit but nowhere down to the Russell/Douglas level, and Hanks is too much of a dramatic actor. Ford/Hamill too, I guess, since he'd probably be out of place with him being so connected with a different 'sci fi' in Star wars.

I personally would have found Spacey an odd pick, too. But after seeing him in Baby Driver it's clear he can do whatever he wants to do, and make it work.

All the other old lads on my list can get smaller roles (e.g. Butler/Statham/Bloom can still be slotted into action roles, Neeson can be a sagely badass like in batman, Yen can fit in easy too), the younger ones can take a plethora of roles.

And it sounds crazy, Gosling as Gambit. But he's also a stretch because he's really gone into the big time as an actor.

Edited by Jasonmufc

11 minutes ago, tristy said:

I wouldn't have minded Brad Pitt as Cable, to be honest.

It would certainly have been an interesting twist, that's for sure.

Actually, i'd see Brad Pitt totally being Corsair (Chris Summers, Scott's dad), it would be sufficiently ridiculous if that showed up in Deadpool, yet oddly apropos.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Isn't Channing Tatum signed on for Gambit if it ever actually makes progress?

Indeed. There were rumors about him dropping it after they cycled through yet another director but he's still attached. For now, at least. Gore Verbinski just came on board so we'll see if they actually get it going. 

Edited by livid

So Thor: Ragnarok was everything I'd hope it would be. Funny, exciting, amazing chemistry between the casts, absolute memorable moments, lots of extra characterization added in for both the new and existing characters. Tessa Thompson was awesome. Mark Ruffalo was basically his perfect self. Chris Hemsworth is a fucking star. Tom Hiddleton is his charming, smarmy memorable Loki self. Sets up a ton of stuff for Infinity War.

We got one more stop in Wakanda before Avengers 3, but fuck it, fresh off the adrenaline of Ragnarok, I can't fucking wait!

• Like 3