2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

I assume Gronk's hearing happens swiftly? Would be something if he appeals it and the hearing happens next week and he winds up missing the Steelers game.

Ben McAdoo's treatment of Manning the past week looks so bad I won't be surprised if he struggles to land a job. He was a good OC and will probably wind up back in that position somewhere, but just ending a guy's streak because you're blaming him for making you lose your job is all kinds of pathetic.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Ryan Shazier is really badly hurt from that last play. Almost ten minutes later now and he still hasn't moved his legs.

Really scary hit. Hope it's just a stinger and nothing else.

3 hours ago, damshow said:

I assume Gronk's hearing happens swiftly? Would be something if he appeals it and the hearing happens next week and he winds up missing the Steelers game.

Usually these things are held mid-week, iirc.  I expect it to get upheld, and I'd rather Gronk sit vs. Miami than Pittsburgh.

I just saw the Ryan Shazier hit after reading about what happened. Doesn't look good for him. One of those things where you hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. The wording in the updates I read did not sound very positive. 

If anybody wants to see what happened, I'll link it here.

The Shazier hit is just terrible. His legs went immediately limp. The way he went for his back worried me a lot too, almost like the spine compressed from impact. Hopefully once swelling goes down he can get feeling back. I expect his season is over, but hopefully nothing more than that.

JuJu's block on Burfict I thought was clean, but taunting him definitely necessitates a fine or suspension.

Really ugly game all around though, as tends to happen when these teams meet.

10 hours ago, Lineker said:

One game suspension for JuJu S-S. Bengals safety George Iloka is also suspended for one game for a violation of safety-related playing rules.

I get the JuJu is probably more being suspended for taunting rather then for the block, but it's bullshit that he gets the same amount as Gronk gets for purposing trying to hurt somebody.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pooker said:

I get the JuJu is probably more being suspended for taunting rather then for the block, but it's bullshit that he gets the same amount as Gronk gets for purposing trying to hurt somebody.

Suspensions are still super arbitrary. JuJu, Gronk, Crabtree, and Talib all got the exact same punishment. Out of all of those Gronk is the one instance where there is a deliberate attempt to injure someone. A fight is a fight, they warrant suspensions no doubt. JuJu gave a nasty, borderline legal, block and then taunted the injured player. That deserves a suspension too. But with Gronk he could have permanently ended the career of someone on a cheap shot, and one game just doesn't seem like a significant punishment for something like that.

• Like 3