2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

3 hours ago, Pizza said:

I think he meant literal pirates and not the team. 

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

I did. :lol: 

Sorry. I'm just so used to, previously deserved, trash talk like that, and one of the things that has kept me proud of the Raiders through the dark times is their commitment to social justice.

I should also have known that @Meacon wouldn't take it that far, so I apologize if I lashed out a little. Got a lot of real life things stressing me out, not that it makes it acceptable.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DMN said:

Sorry. I'm just so used to, previously deserved, trash talk like that, and one of the things that has kept me proud of the Raiders through the dark times is their commitment to social justice.

I should also have known that @Meacon wouldn't take it that far, so I apologize if I lashed out a little. Got a lot of real life things stressing me out, not that it makes it acceptable.

We cool, dude. :) Hope everything going on works out in your favor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I'd probably go with the Lions over the Bills, though getting to Buffalo for a game would be more realistic. I think it's between Detroit and Arizona for me. 

Join us in Detroit (says the UK fan that has never been to the States!). 

It may be frustrating as hell to be a Lions fan, but it is also damned fun at times. Constantly the underdog, but with the odd great player at certain key positions. 

The Cards aren't a bad shout either though. 

5 hours ago, Meacon said:

Cleveland's stadium lets you use their dial-up via their Compaq Presario.

Don't you bash it.  Prodigy is the top of the line when it comes to Internet

David Johnson is having surgery, so not only is the Cards offence totally boned, I won't get to see him at Twickenham :(

All I asked was that DJ and Fitz are fit to play in that game. One match into the season and half of that is already out the window! 

Over at the other board I go to where we do weekly picks just for fun, I was the only person to pick the Jaguars over the Texans, believe it or not. So I got the I CALLED IT! Award. For week two, so far no is picking the Texans to win over the Bengals, after the way Houston performed last week.

15 hours ago, Lineker said:

Watson named the Houston starter because that is the thing that was always going to happen. 

Sometimes you just have to piss away a game for a half because you're a head coach who once worked with an already established Tom Brady and thus people seem to think you know what a good quarterback looks like but considering your idea of a good quarterback has consisted of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage...maybe you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.  

Things have changed so much in the NFL. Nowadays, if you're bad enough that you need to select a quarterback in the first round, he should just be starting and learning by fire. There was a time when you could take a guy and let him sit for two or three years and learn. But the Rams? The Browns? The Texans? They aren't exactly the perennial winners that can do that kind of stuff. Throw the kid in there, let him sink or swim. 

I think Watson is more likely to swim.

Also? I'm finally watching this year's Hard Knocks, and how can anyone not like Gerald McCoy? Such a big, friendly giant. Off the field, of course. 

Eh, it depends.  You don't want to be in a situation where you David Carr the kid.  You have to be set up to actually give them a chance to swim, can't just throw them in with an anvil tied to their legs and expect results.

Right, but I don't think there's any team in the league, regardless of how much we joke, that was as terrible as that Texan team and offensive line was. David Carr had the worst of the worst as his O-Line, an O-Line that had absolutely no cohesion prior to him lining up under center. That was one of the worst situations there could be for any quarterback to go into, let alone a rookie quarterback, with the added stress of being the #1 pick and from a 'small' school. 

28 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Things have changed so much in the NFL. Nowadays, if you're bad enough that you need to select a quarterback in the first round, he should just be starting and learning by fire. There was a time when you could take a guy and let him sit for two or three years and learn. But the Rams? The Browns? The Texans? They aren't exactly the perennial winners that can do that kind of stuff. Throw the kid in there, let him sink or swim. 

I think Watson is more likely to swim.

Also? I'm finally watching this year's Hard Knocks, and how can anyone not like Gerald McCoy? Such a big, friendly giant. Off the field, of course. 

Totally agree. Stafford was thrown in the fire and he mostly sucked his rookie year. He figured it out though. Wasn't like we were going to win anything that year because we were still very bad. Why not let the rookie learn by playing?

Cynical Lions fans point out that Rodgers sat and learned, look how good he is. This of course ignores that he learned under Brett Farve and was drafted to a world class football team. The Lions were coming off of the 0-16 season. 

A team like Pittsburgh or New England can get away with letting a guy sit and learn.