2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

3 minutes ago, thatshortguy said:

To be fair, it'll also host Atlanta United F.C. games and I'm sure countless other wastes of time.  I'm sure Garth Brooks will be there at some point.  He always seems to be lurking around these parts...

Oh Garth will do like 5 nights straight, one of which will inadvertently be a Sunday.

I had no idea how popular Garth Brooks was till I moved to Texas.  He did 5 nights and I swear everyone I have met down here went to at least one show.

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

I had no idea how popular Garth Brooks was till I moved to Texas.  He did 5 nights and I swear everyone I have met down here went to at least one show.

Same here. I can only name like one song and always had him pegged as a mid-tier 90s country act,  but the guy came to Memphis for several nights this year and it was a big deal to a lot of people I know.

• Admin

Oakland Raiders cornerback Sean Smith was charged with felony assault for his alleged involvement in a July incident in Pasadena, Calif., the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced. Smith surrendered to police on Thursday. 

Smith allegedly beat and then stomped on the male victim's head near the corner of Arroyo Parkway and Colorado Boulevard early in the morning on July 4, the prosecutor said per documents obtained by NFL.com.

Smith's attorney, Daniel Rosenberg told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that Smith "has maintained his innocence and will enter a plea of not guilty." Rosenberg said Smith will fight this all the way.

NFL.com reached out to the Raiders for a comment on the matter but the team has yet to give a response.

His arraignment is scheduled on Sept. 29 at the Los Angeles County Superior Court Pasadena Branch.

If convicted as charged, Smith faces a possible maximum sentence of seven years in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the Pasadena Police Department.

Doug Marrone: Jaguars' quarterback job up for grabs

Patriots rookie and top draft pick DE Derek Rivers has torn his ACL.

And for the second time since January, linebacker Zach Orr has announced his retirement at the age of 25 due to a rare congenital spine condition.

Kellen understands football really well, he's good to have around if he never really has to play.  I don't want him as a backup, Rush looks like he could win a few games if he needs to, Kellen does not.  But I'm guessing Kellen will have a strong future as a coach.

The playing of the national anthem before every sporting event remains an extremely bizarre thing we do. Play it before the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc. I would like to meet the person whose entire love of country of predicated on hearing the anthem before a sporting event.

This is also an interesting story: http://deadspin.com/lack-of-players-and-player-safety-concerns-kill-varsity-1798053565 I'm not overly surprised given that every school tries to have a football team, so disbanding some is bound to happen as athletes want to play sports where their knees and head don't get jacked up before college. I don't think it's a doom-and-gloom situation as much as guys are increasingly opting to play other sports. Also Centennial is a bit of an outlier since it's an academics-first public school. It's very much the state's gold standard for schools.