The Athletics thread

Adam

Right, we should have a dedicated Athletics thread. Stuff the Russians, tonight we've seen the end of Usain Bolt and Mo Farah's global track careers. Brilliant, legendary athletes dethroned at last. 

Massive shame to see Bolt pull up injured on his farewell, but that was one of the most exciting races ever. Britain held off the fantastic US team to win 100m Relay Gold, in the thris fastest time ever in the event. Athletics is alive and well! 

There's another day left yet :P. Plus I've made it for all Athletics not just this event. 

Something I love about track and field and all of that is that you know who the best ever is. You can argue all day in the pub what is the best football team that has ever played but it is all subjective, but we know that Bolt is the fastest over 100m and van Niekerk is the best ever in 400m.

Quoting you in here @MDK. to move it over, totally agree with that. Van Niekirk is the new star, got a huge future and he's already a champion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwight K. Schrute said:

There's another day left yet :P. Plus I've made it for all Athletics not just this event. 

Quoting you in here @MDK. to move it over, totally agree with that. Van Niekirk is the new star, got a huge future and he's already a champion. 

Its not just athletics though. Same with swimming and cycling and all that stuff. Not the horse dancing though, that is pure bullshit.

I love the purity of it all. You know who the best is.

I do wish that they would bring back Tug-of-War to the Olympics.

• Like 2

I was there when Bolt lost to Gatlin, the atmosphere in the build up was incredible, but the way it changed after the result was shown on the board was crazy! So many unhappy people, people streaming for the exits. 

Glad GB stopped getting 4ths and got some medals today, their athletes deserve it, they are coming so close at times! 

• Like 1

I would cautiously suggest that we've become the world leaders in hosting major sporting events, going back to the Olympics, which I guess put the infrastructure in place, everything that we've run has been done to the highest standard. It's a shame we'll never get the chance to do a World Cup any time soon.

• Like 1

As much as I'd selfishly like to see the World Championships back in London all the time, I don't want it to come at the detriment of global athletics. Britain is investing more money in track and field than any other country right now and the public enthusiasm is pretty much unrivalled, but I think it's important to spread these events around the world if possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have great hopes for a brilliantly organised event in Doha in 2019, even if the events themselves are exciting. I'd like to think that Eugene 2021 will be a success, at least in terms of endearing the sport to the American public, but I won't hold out hope for that either. Still, there are European cities other than London that have put on very good championships over the years, which makes me think that giving London the monopoly over the event isn't as necessary as some might believe.

• 4 weeks later...